What is your starting drill?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
lug nut

What is your starting drill?

Post by lug nut »

Just bought a CR500 that is in one piece and actually runs the other day. This bike ain't no joke to start. Growing up on 250's I didn't give much thought to starting this thing. You gotta have some ass to get this thing to turn over! How do you guys get these things started? What is the technique? Throttle or no throttle? Take you clothes off, hold hands, and dance around the bike, until the 500 gods start it for you?
Last edited by lug nut on January 16th, 2011, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

I think this was covered somewhere else but here's what I do. Cold start: Choke on. Lean bike over until gas runs out carb hoses. Stand it back up and then 1 of 2 options 1: Kick it over slowly to draw gas into cylinder a couple of times. 2: Put it into gear and rock bike bike back and forth a couple of times. I usually go with 2. Bring kickstarter just past TDC on compression, hands off throttle and kick it like it's your ex-wife who hosed you for every dime she could. If your bike is jetted properly and good running order it should fire in 1 or 2 kicks. When it's already warm just do the "past TDC thing". Always wear riding boots to do this, unless you get a de-compression release installed. If your foot slips off and that thing whacks you in the calf, you will be on the ground squealing like a little girl. Please post You Tube footage of said incident.
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Somebody please post up Brits starting tech.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

"Lean bike over until gas runs out carb hoses.
Put it into gear and rock bike bike back and forth a couple of times."

These two are not required, but if having a Rabbits in your pocket helps then by all means. :wink:

For me;

Gas on, choke on.
Kick it over slowly 4 times. I don't hold the kill button down. If it lites then all the better. Not likely when cold.

Bring the piston to TDC and without giving gas give her a good kick.
The key here is TDC. The down stoke is way easier and adds momentum for the next up stroke.

If it didn't fire repeat 3-4 slow easy kicks. Like I said the key is that little window just before/after TDC. This window gets wider after she's warm but you still need to close to it.

Put a fresh plug could help.
Stock motor 55 pilot jet and helpfully the choke circuit is good too.

Good luck.................................... :whoop:
Trinity Racing mild porting FMF
62 pilot, EGH needle, 172 main
03 Gen III CR250 frame

2013 Dodger Charger 5.7 Hemi

http://www.prisonplanet.com

Your Amsoil Customer # 350882
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

simple, make sure your jetting is close, really important (DG,N, M,L needle required)
cold choke on, and spin it over 3 times slow, then get it just after tdc and 1 big kick
hot just after tdc 1 big kick
flooded just after tdc wfo 1 or 2 big kicks
im 150 lbs soaking wet and it works every time,
if your pilot jet is lean (trying to cure the CEJ low end spooge) it will be really hard to start no matter what, make sure everything is in good working order
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

Yeah I've noticed that if I dump it in a corner on the track and she lays there to long. Hold the throttle wide open for restarts. :wink:

Follow the same........
lug nut

Post by lug nut »

These are about the same drills that I have used on two strokes in the past. It is taking 10-15 good solid kicks to get this thing going right now. Not exactly the easiet thing to do on a fresh top end. I was hoping that I was missing something. Looks like it is time to play with the carb. Thanks for the replies.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

if the top end is fresh it will be, technique, weak ignition, jetting, reeds, or air leak
a 99 250 igniton really gets the spark happening at really low rpms
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Igg-Ro nailed it both times.

Say "NO" to the Retard-Rock.......
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

:cool:
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

If it's been sitting more than a few days I tip it to wash the old gas out of the bowl- no rocking though!
03 CRF450/85 500
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

Take the bung out of the pipe :oops: :oops: :oops: been caught with that many a time
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

couple slow primer kicks... hit TDC then kick it like you mean it. Cold mine would fire in 2 - 3 good kicks.. warm 1 every time :D When warm i dont do the primer kick stuff.. just find TDC and give it a good whompin.
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Say "NO" to the Retard-Rock....... Lol Ok Bob, spill it. Why have I been doing it wrong?
lug nut

Post by lug nut »

I was told the bike has new v force reeds, so I figure they are in pretty good shape. There is an exhaust leak where the pipe meets the head. Can that cause starting difficulty? Regardless, it is on my list of things to take care of.

I started looking a little closer at the bike, and it has a powerjet carb. I don't think those ever came on a stock bike. I may switch to a PW or a PWK and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies! Can't wait for the weather to warm up!
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

Pull the the ignition side cover off and check the air gap for the pulse generator, it should be set at .7mm gap.
My steely was a real pig to start until i reset the gap and now its 1 or 2 kick start from cold.
Choke on - 5 slow primer kicks - TDC - kick it like you mean it. (no throttle when cold) :D
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
jarnott71

Post by jarnott71 »

check the reeds its all brand new when you buy a used bike.
no wing no prayer
racein01

Post by racein01 »

I usually start with about a 3/16" or so then move up to... Oh sorry wrong starting drill :oops: