ELECTRIC START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
bigred1977

ELECTRIC START!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by bigred1977 »

just wondering if any one has had any luck doin this or knows of one done? any i deas,i am going through them but it will take some serious work??????????hmmmmmmmmmmmmm :shock:
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

:britincali:
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

Who needs electric start when you can have a decompression valve put on, and have it start like a CR 125?

That being said....... the only reason I bought my CRF 450x was because of the easy button........ :oops:
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Fastkart!!!
I just had to copy that emoticon.
When I saved it, I laughed my ass off to see what you called it!
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

With correct jetting and ignition all even the vertically challenged need is this. 5-6 kicks cold, 1-2 kicks hot.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Tharrell wrote:Fastkart!!!
I just had to copy that emoticon.
When I saved it, I laughed my ass off to see what you called it!
It's nothing I did... it's one of the emoticons for the site... it's right near the bottom of the emoticons list...
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Yeah, I'm six foot and I need something to stand on when I have my riding gear on, especially if the bike is cold.
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

Im six foot 150# and my 500 started 1-3 kicks cold before I tore it down,that being said I think its all in the technique :wink:
-Jake

nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

1-3 kicks with the reeds all curled up
03 CRF450/85 500
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

nmdesertrider wrote:1-3 kicks with the reeds all curled up
:?:
-Jake

seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

caseyracing222 wrote:
nmdesertrider wrote:1-3 kicks with the reeds all curled up
:?:
means the reeds are junk.

bearoso has delved into electric starts a bit.
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

I got what he was implying, but what does my bike starting in 1-3 kicks cold have to do with messed up reeds? My reeds were perfect when I tore my bike down :roll: What is it supposed to start when I look at it?
-Jake

2strokekyle

Post by 2strokekyle »

I think he is saying HIS bike will still start in 1-3 kicks with junk reeds...
Chill out man :foam:
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

2strokekyle wrote:I think he is saying HIS bike will still start in 1-3 kicks with junk reeds...
Chill out man :foam:
I'm not mad :lol: I didnt quite under stand his comment, you made it make sense, brain fart on my part I guess
-Jake

bearorso

Post by bearorso »

It's not hard to start ANY well set up bike, especially on flat ground.

I'd say the majority of riders here don't get near technical stuff (not a put down, what you ride is up to you, and you might have definite preferences, or are limited in the terrain you can get to). In nasty stuff, where you can be right beside the edge of a cliff / stuck in rocks / grooves that don't even allow you to swing a KS lever to start the bike, an ES is / would be a godsend.

Have a look at things like the Roof Of Africa ( Chris Birch surely loved just having to press a button), Romaniacs, Erzberg etc, or in a special test / extreme test that is timed to the second. It's all a bit different to Duning, MX, or an average trail ride. THE main reason why 4ts became so popular, over and above the capacity advantage they were given for racing, was the advent of the 'magic button'. And sales of the KTM 2ts have gone through the roof since the introduction of the button on the 250 /300 - at least here they have. The second ES is combined with DI ( or whatever is used to make 2ts clean enough to be sold Everywere, most notably California and the rest of the US ) with it's inevitable use of oil injection instead of mixing, it will be the start of 4ts going backwards in sales, over and above the GFC induced sales crash.

When I go on group rides, most of the time I'm the only one on a 2t, and, even when 2ts are with us, I'll be the only one on a KS only bike. As I inevitably ride sweep - I don't mind getting through nasty shit and enjoy helping other blokes, as we usually have National level riders, with a few inexperienced blokes that have no idea what they have been drawn into, that need help and encouragement - I generally have to stop a lot, and often in Very hairy spots. Much of the time, I'll leave my bike running, in neutral, tied to a tree whilst I help out. That's part of the reason why I fitted cooling fans years ago.

I'd kill for an ES at times.

I have made another alloy ignition cover, ready to take either the KTM, or Gas Gas starter set up. I'm waiting for a mate to get his Gas Gas, to see how their starter clutch / bendix looks, then I'll make my decision as to which I'll use. The problems with the KTM set up stems very much from the starter clutch / bendix they use, and bad set up and materials, from what I've seen. KTM really know how to fuck up a good idea. And then not rectify the problem............

To be able to press a button, and not risk my safety, or loose a lot of time And energy, whilst I get the bike into position so I can kick it, or not loose precious seconds when you flame out going into a corner, or through a tricky bit, and then fumble for the lever, instead of just pressing a button, and instantly getting your engine back , is worth it's weight in gold.

So , if you don't want a ES, fine by me, but try to restrain yourself from knocking it. Because if you haven't ever wanted or needed one, I don't think you've ventured into the more interesting side of riding. :wink:
Last edited by bearorso on January 6th, 2011, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Bearoso, I hear you. There are many times I would love one, and I would ride my 500 to my, and its grave if it had the button. Same here only guy half the time on a 2T and only guy without a button. If the electric start ever became available I would buy one.

I hear you on all the crappy spots to have to kick your bike, the other is all the guys with electric start will stop anywhere, they are giving me that hand across the neck sign of "kill your bike" I give them back the middle finger sign of, "stop somewhere better A Hole" . My bike starts easy enough, most the time first kick when set just past TDC but by the time I get everything prepped to give it the kick these guys have put distance on me and it pisses me off.

If you ever get an E start dialed in put me on your list. I hope if you do it the kick start is still there.
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

There are two different questions here. The first is the one KTM has already answered. Would you have an electric start at your disposal if you did not have to pay a significant price in terms of cash and weight? Answer: why not - even for a two-stroke. The second is the cost-benefit of fabricating such a thing for a CR500R from scratch. For most - myself included - with limited engineering resources (skills, equipment, money and time) the answer is "who cares". Your situation may differ.

:)
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

I tore my acl in my right knee the start or September. It was a month before I could walk well enough to go back to work. The end of October I went for a single track trail ride (end of year club fun event) I rode my xr250 as it seemed like the best choice considering my still injured condition that and I'm pretty sure I couldn't have kicked over my CRs. Now there were a few times I had to restate the xr and I was cursing it taking a couple of kicks but at least they were fairly easy kicks. Now I know if I had a CR two stroke it would have likely started one kick each time but im not sure I would have been able to kick them over well enough. I've since had surgery and am now looking to grab a cheap crf250x just for putt putt trail riding (riding a two stroke when my girlfriend comes for a ride is no fun for either of us) simply cause it has electric start. If I could add electric start to all my bikes without a major weight penalty I would! But definetly want it on a four stroke.

That said there's no way I'm giving up my two strokes anytime soon. In fact I feel like I'm on a mission to collect everything two stroke I can! Lol
Lawn boy mower. Weed wacker. Even a two stroke snowblower.
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

ES on a 500 - not hard.

Look to KTMs 250/300 ES, and the Gas Gas ES.

Both examples of 'garage engineering'.

Just an ES motor mounted on the ignition cover, one way gear / bendix, with a gear ring on the flywheel.

Another set up I've got partially made is a new inner clutch cover, with a motor mounted as per 4t style. This is the more difficult of the 2 options.

Neither will delete the KS.

I don't have huge amounts of money, but not much is needed. I have very limited time, but I can fit it in every now and then. I DO have the skills and equipment to make it.

Rhino gets it. Blokes like redrocket don't, and probably never ride the sort of stuff that an ES is perfect for - fair enough.

But I'll never limit myself by not riding technical terrain - that is just a few hundred metres away from me. I'm a lucky bastard with my riding areas. But as my knees further deteriorate, a ES will be needed to keep riding, and my bike of choice is a steel CR500, so it will be made.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

bearorso wrote:Blokes like redrocket don't, and probably never ride the sort of stuff that an ES is perfect for - fair enough.
The guys in AZ ride some pretty gnarly stuff.... more than you probably have ever encountered.

NONE of them want electric start..... just more weight to get over difficult passages.

A good running 500 starts pretty easy, and dosent stall. Starts even easier with Roostys decomp.

Stoffers is 1/2 my size, and James Lewis is 1/4 my age.. neither have any problems starting the 500 on either flat ground or on hillsides.

Would E-Start be nice.... sure. Is it even remotely needed...... prolly' not, unless your knees are blown out.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

I can totally see electric start. I can think of places I'd like electric start. (AZ is not one of them). It's not on my list of desired improvements though. Too much extra weight for the rare need. But then my knees are in perfect working order.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Kuma

Post by Kuma »

I haven't seen one of the ES setups on a 2 stroke, where would you fit the starter motor? would have to go in front of the motor under the exhaust?

I would think that you're going to need a comp release with the ES, I would start there and see how much easier that makes it to kick.
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

My knees are about the only thing on me football didn't ruin, but I would still like ES. In weight what are we talking a couple lbs? Man I unload the Huckstable's every morning that weigh more than that. Every time I hear those KTM's churning off a button I get pissed and flip off my bro's that ride them. Guess I'm just getting old and lazy and maybe my bike is not tuned as proper as everyone Else's. I ride all over the map on elevation and temp, and I don't mess with jetting a lot and I run the stocker carb, light it off and ride. The only thing that ever even makes me think I wouldn't mind having a new bike is that button....other than that the cr5 is my do everything super cruiser.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

PWK weighs the same as a PJ: Weight gain Zero

Cost: PM me

Performance: Increased from idle to redline

Effort: "2 kick" start

Electric start weight gain: Prolly 15 lbs when its all said and done

Cost: Through the roof

Performance: Decreased through weight gain

Effort: Thumb callus.
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I would love an electric start. My love affair started when I saw a guy holeshot the start of the Adelanto GP a few years back on a e-start Husqvarna. At 5' 7" I dread a dead engine start and have to line up next a kerb for that extra couple of inches to guarantee a 1-kick start. But unless you're going to build and sell me some form of kit for $500 it ain't going to happen in my lifetime.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF