BRP Chain Guide

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
bearorso

BRP Chain Guide

Post by bearorso »

Usually I make my own things, and I was just about to finally make my own chain guide out of 'billet' (just being a smart arse) delrin / nylon.

But with our dollar so strong , and what I've seen of other blokes usage of the BRP, I just decided my own time was worth much more than the asking price for the BRP item.

I had a bit of trouble ordering it through the website, undoubtedly because of my own 'ef' up on the 'puter, but they contacted me, and I got it sorted very quickly. They were going to give free freight, but as it was only just before Christmas, I said charge me for the fastest USPS. The std USPS usually gets here in a week or 2, but holiday season post can get out of hand.

Sorted the order on a Wednesday night, goods here the following Tuesday.

I was a bit bummed when it arrived, it didn't use the std steelies alloy inserts, and the nice alloy top hats were shallower than the sides of the guide. I was about to sort it out, then opened my mind and realized that it was to give a 'soft' mount to the guide - it's that beefy, it could not rip out, and by not having steel to steel, it allows some 'give' when taking an almighty hit.

I think later model AFs have the same idea, Honda deleted the alloy inserts from the 2 front mounts. So, when fitting, just do the forward bolts up till the lock thread engages and the flange contacts the alloy spacers, and on the rear one use loctite And don't do the bolts up so they compress the nylon past a few thou.

Ive used a Alloy shark fin for years besides the chain guide, As the std alloy chain guide just bends instantly and wears the guide out, and, if you try to just use the inner std (or later model) chain guide, they are way to flexible, and the chain will just get torn off. The BRP is seriously sturdy, and I've been going out of my way, to hammer the hell out of for the last few days. My terrain is rock ledge, rock groove, trials / last man standing hell, guaranteed to destroy anything. It has only got light scuffs on it, and I've been hitting stuff with it that sends the bike 3ft to the right. So I think it passe's the test.

I use a 52 on the back, yet it runs through smoothly - with std, you had a hard time turning the wheel. As it has a removable centre/top piece, you might be able to tweak the main guide open enough to get it on over a chain, but it would be bloody hard. As I was finally putting a new chain and sprockets on, I just ran it through.

Looks like a good thing, and BRP were great to deal with. I've read of, and seen, too many problems with the other major chain guide companies products to ever consider them. So , for a bloke that usually makes he's own stuff, and thinks most bought products are inferior to what he can do, I'm really impressed with BRP stuff.

The part number is CGD-7051-B, fits 90 to 04 CR125/250 > 2001 500, 02 - 04 CRF 250R &450R, and 02-05 CRF250X.
Gmbond

Post by Gmbond »

This is a great review as I'm looking to buy a new guide soon. I've got a tm designworks guide on two of my bikes an they have held up great showing no real wear or even scarring after 3 years of use. They are the "original" compound or plastic. I've been looking at the TNT version just cause of the price and that I don't care about the white only. However price wise they're about same for the white versions so ive been trying to decide.

What have you heard bad about other versions?
bearorso

Post by bearorso »

I got the Black BRP.

The removable upper insert is red.

I got 2, 1 had the alloy top hat inserts (6 of them) in silver , 1 has them in red. The BRP logo is a decal that is recessed into the outer side. You get new, 8mm head, flanged bolts and the 2 nuts for the front bolts.