go pro hd for christmas

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
2strokeforever

go pro hd for christmas

Post by 2strokeforever »

so i got a go pro hd for christmas, lots of mounting options, i didnt trust the 3m sticky mounts till i put my helmet on my bars then my bike fell over downhill, thought the cam was crushed, but it just poped off( i didnt know it did that), those 3m sticky mounts are strong :shock:
dont know how long the battery will last, but hoping a while, might rig up a charging system off my bikes battery
so far i love it, heres my first video of it took on my snowmobile the camera angle is messed till 4:40, when you watck it go to 720/hd in youtube, the original is even better
i didnt edit anything cause i was having issues finding an editing program that works for mp4 and my slow computer
it sucks recording mistakes

more on the way
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

The battery life should be stated in the instructions... I think 2-3 hours if I remember right from my GoPro HD.

Rigging a charging system would be a waste of time. The camera won't charge and film at the same time. If you really feel like you need the extra battery life, buy a 2nd battery. http://www.goprocamera.com/products/rec ... attery.php

Be sure you have a big memory card.. 8GB atleast.

If you buy a battery, I'd recommend getting a lens replacement kit and a spare housing for the camera while you're at it, just in case.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I thought there was a charging system for the hd.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

it wouldnt be too hard to wire one of these up, and even if you stop a few times and charge it for a few minutes it should make a big difrence

for a race if you have a good pit crew you probably could change a battery out while your filling up on gas and eating something

just got a 16 gb card for it
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

GoPro says there is a charging system that's optional, but I don't find it listed on their site for purchase.

Personally, I think buying a spare battery is easier & cheaper especially when you factor your time as well than rigging more bs onto the bike. Battery life is listed at 2hrs, 15 min. Unless you're superman, I'd think you'd be stopping atleast that often anyways for a drink & few minute break... plenty of time to swap a battery.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

ya you do have a point
4stroke=dead fish
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Either you got that thing aimed straight down, or you need to look up and further down the trail.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

the first 5 minutes its aimed wrong, after that its aimed properly
going again today
4stroke=dead fish
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Heh, that's what I get for watching first, reading later.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

How long did it take you to upload that video to youtube?
I have a fast connection and a quad core computer but it takes forever to load anything over 10 minutes.
btw-I bought the contour 1080p, the only fault I have with it is the wind noise.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

it takes forever to load anything over 10 minutes.
ya 600 min/10 hours for the vid i put up
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

MojoScojo wrote:Either you got that thing aimed straight down, or you need to look up and further down the trail.
I thought the same thing...
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Tharrell wrote:How long did it take you to upload that video to youtube?
I have a fast connection and a quad core computer but it takes forever to load anything over 10 minutes.
btw-I bought the contour 1080p, the only fault I have with it is the wind noise.
Tharrell: Fellow at another site I hang out at says putting foam over the mic cuts down on the noise large. Guess that's why sports/ outdoor news guys have the "bulb" over the end of the mic?
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Cool vid man. I assume you know the area but it looks pretty ballsy riding in an area that's probably been clear-cut. Guess my favorite part was when you parked at the top and looked out over the terrain. Have a lot of great memories from living out west. Chaining up NOT being one of them. Saw a lot of places I would have loved to have gone riding. (You are a lucky s.o.b living out there) You ever ride the Fernie enduro or are they even still holding that? Rode in the area and down into the reservoir but never the race.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

thats some cool video once it was aimed right.
Your gonna be head and shoulders ahead of anyone who isn't riding.
When I was a kid I studded and rode all winter, nowadays i work too much to get the dang thing built fast enough,

Unless a person has ridden offroad on the snow like that, they do not realise the amount of body english and balance required to keep it on 2 wheels. Its a pile of work! a good 2-3 hr ride like that will have most guys wore right out.

how is the tire holding up? what did you do with the front one?

are you running hand warmers? pics dood! show pics of your set up!

and do you always ride alone?
I hope you have a good survival kit, a broken bike or a even a minor injury could be a life and death situation if hyperthermia sets in before they find you, or you walk out... I carry a HD foil blanket, and water proof matches, string, and flares... flares burn so hot even wet wood will burn eventually, string is for a turnicut if needed, or a sling whatever, and of corse lots of water. I suppose your using your camel back ?
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Your gonna be head and shoulders ahead of anyone who isn't riding.
for sure, especialy in the mud
Unless a person has ridden offroad on the snow like that, they do not realise the amount of body english and balance required to keep it on 2 wheels. Its a pile of work! a good 2-3 hr ride like that will have most guys wore right out.
2-3 hours, im wiped after half an hour, if you turn the volume up you can hear me breathing...
and its a fight to keep the rubber side down, especially if you try and keep your feet on the pegs, instead of sticking your feet out and pinning it
are you running hand warmers? pics dood! show pics of your set up!
ya, but they arent like on a sled where they get hot, the keep the bar warm tho (lighting coil dosent put out much, and less if youre not wound out
heres the warmer switch, wired it for high, and low = headlight
how is the tire holding up? what did you do with the front one?
regular ice studs on the front, the rear is ok, all the ends are wore on a big angle i think running the tire almost flat is letting the knobs lean over under torque
i jammed a tube in the back, with the tubliss and pumped it up a bit then put the bead on and am using the tubliss as a rim lock
if anyone else trys this find a way to pump your tire up with 30 psi!!!!!
and do you always ride alone?
if i cant find anyone else to ride with
I hope you have a good survival kit, a broken bike or a even a minor injury could be a life and death situation if hyperthermia sets in before they find you, or you walk out..
im never more than 1/2 mile from a road (which is 1.5 miles from a busy highway) when im alone and in the snow, keep water, juice, granola bars, lighter, gas in bike, charged cell phone with reception, channel locks, spare plug and
more vids uploading :D

heres a small hill, both feet stay on the pegs till im hitting the ground, kinda like trials, lots of steering to stay upright
4stroke=dead fish
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

4stroke=dead fish
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

Jesus man you must love to be punished. Only thing im doing in that weather is sitting in my chair eating some homecooked food sippin some whiskey.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

dude, you better find someone to ride with you.
something goes wrong and you're cougar shit :lol:
Rhino89523

Post by Rhino89523 »

Man I ride alone all the time too, especially when its crappy out. Its either ride alone or don't ride a lot of the time, and it seems like most people hate riding in the snow. Funny you say couger shit, right behind the house where I ride most a guy blasted a 230lb Mountain Lion 2 weeks ago. The dogs he had with him looked like housecats on size comparo, thing was huge! Cool video.
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

I got a gopro hd cam for christmas, too.
I took some video out in my 4x4, but its way too large to upload onto you tube.
I got a short clip loaded right after my brother and I dropped through some ice at the exact same time.

We were royally stuck.
Had to walk 2 miles to a road, to get picked up.
Then had to push the jeep out 4 times on the way to where we were.
The jeep pulled out my yota, and I managed to get the jimmy out of that hole, only for him to get stuck in the hole I was in. :lol:
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

haha, punnished cougar shit! lmao....

yeah, as a kid I rode alone allot, otherwise I never would have rode.
Now that I look back its a good thing I never broke a leg or sumthin.... I would have been screwed...

I have ridden some of those trails in the valley and on the powerline headed out by Coldstream, back side of silverstar too.

One I remember best was on an open hill, looking out over Kalmalka lake, wicked scenery, goat trail carved out of the hillside, about 70 degree incline, so the handle bar would sometimes drag on the hillside, with a path about 18" wide, if you turned into the hill, it would deflect you off the trail, if you turned away, all you had was about 3" extra and the tire would fall off the ledge, and about 400 feet to the bottom of the ravine....

I was wondering how I would ever get my bike out of the ravine if it dropped of the ledge in the hillside, ..... and that was summer.....! LOL
:screwy:

after that ride I narrowed my bars, and brought linesmen pliers, so i could cut fence to get to the highway if i had too...
never needed them, luckily.
BrianPaul69

Post by BrianPaul69 »

Wow, looks like a lot of people got a Go Pro for Xmas. Yes that little sticky 3M camera mount is very tough. I had a tree branch try to snatch the camera off my helmet and it held strong. The bark is still stuck in the part of the mount that screws to the camera but no damage whatsoever.

The battery lasts a good 3 to 4 hours and I personally wouldn't bother with any type of charging system unless your going cross country or something. I just bought an extra battery and SD card and I highly doubt I'll ever be recording for more than 8 hours at a pop.

Here is a great price on a 16GB Class 6 SD card. They are $25.98 and free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0518750629

I bought two of them and they work great. In case the link craps out and it eventually will here is the link to the sellers store :

http://shop.ebay.com/socal-trade/m.html

This is where I got the spare battery :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GOPRO-GO ... 0637066631

It was the best price I found at the time and its not a Chinese knockoff. Here is the link to the sellers store :

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/easternpc/m.html

Hope this helps out and great videos.