set up tips for ice ridin needed

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
seanmx57

set up tips for ice ridin needed

Post by seanmx57 »

I know most you bitches have never seen ice but.......

I'm really not too interested in lowering my suspension. I'm running MF44 tires that are set up for motard work. I'm going to get some chains for my truck and make a track on the lake I live on with the plow once it snows. I'm hoping to air the bitch out on ice. I'll prolly shred the plastic, we will see.

So anything special to do for set up other than richen her up?
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

My best advice is MOVE to AZ
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Maybe talk to Roosty or dubious. Ive never ridden ice, only seen it. Seems to me though some fender extensions might be in order, in case you high side and the bike chases you down. Bad enough on dirt and I've had my 500 come down on me from the top rope with the elbow out. Can't imagine spiked tires. Ouchie.
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

I have covered one rad when its cold, and use the factory service manual to see what jet changed are recommended for the altitude and temps.
Your baseline will be different, but the change for the temps will be the same, if they ask for one size bigger on the main, and raise the needle one level do the same.

If your running intellijet in the middle position in the summer, you should have enough adjustment available with out requiring the jet change.

The suspension compression and rebound damping can be relaxed if its cold out, as the oil will be thicker most likely.

I like hand gaurds at minimum to keep the wind off my hands, and hand warmers are nice to have too. They will draw about 35 watts on low, and 65 watts on high typically.

If you have ridden quads in the winter, you will be warmer on the bike as it takes much more energy to ride a bike in the winter
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

lewisclan wrote:My best advice is MOVE to AZ
:lol:

NOT

cold sucks but so does 130degrees
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

awesome link and pic :shock:

I've heard of people dragging bars at 70 mph but till get it on it's hard to picture.

Jay you should get on an ICE bike. A CR5 is most fun when you can really get into the throttle as you know. You can REALLY get on the gas on ICE. I guess if I had dunes I'd look at things differently.......

With crappy tires they are pretty fun. Can't wait till the ice is a bit thicker........

Those heated bars look nice too.
Last edited by seanmx57 on December 23rd, 2010, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

http://montrealracing.com/forums/showth ... light=mf44

the tires, dam sharp, gonna dedicate a set of wheels to them. Not changing them 2X per year. :wink:
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Spoken as true northerner. 130 is nasty. Ok, I have to ask a dumb question. What ARE you going to run for tires?
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Lol. Never mind. Got it. Just too fuckin slow on the draw.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

look at the link above in the montrealracing forum, show info and pics.

I've been looking for a used set for about 2 years. I'm not racing, just entertainment at this point.

Not sure if I should run a 2.5 rim or a 2.15 with that 120/100-18 ????
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Where you live sean? I was just checking vitalmx because TerryK the moderator was talking about studded tires on the weekend. That MF44 thing clicked so I checked. Apparently a guy named Fournier is the guy building and selling those tires with those studs. Just a heads up, but you are buying used, right? Try www.marcelfournier.ca just to see. $740 brand new. Why is guy dumping them after 2 rides? Sorry if I'm skeptical.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

The dude I bought em off sold all his bikes. I paid a little more than I wanted. The saying that you get what you pay for goes a long way with regard to ice tires. If you ever ridden on ice you would understand. Home made tires don't hook up like the real thing. I want to put some powa to the ground err ICE.

I'm in new hampshire, looking at 4 months of not riding and my house over looks a lake. Long time to sit around.

These tires are sharp enough to cut your hands on, 2 rides is nothing.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

New hampsha huh? Ok. I've never ridden ice and just don't want to see you get screwed is all. Not so concerned that they aren't sharp as they RIGHT. Lot of money to spend on a set of bogus tires. Just tryin to help. Actually Terry was mentioning that fake tires are an issue. Hope they work out for you.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

altho the bike will stick like nothing else, you need a mittfull of throttle behind it.
You can get out there and realize you over picked the front tire, or that when its layed out the pic is in the wrong spot and it rolls the lug over. Barkbusters are good, they'll let it slide away without hooking. the further it slides from you, the less chance you're going to slide onto the tire :wink:

Make sure that you have atleast 4 picks in each boot, its no fun trying to stand up a bike that you cant get under.
We've jumped the bikes on the ice, climbed the spillway, climbed the open dirt faces of the lake so that in the summer theres a bike track coming strait out of the water and over the top.

Its a riot, just goon riding you'll love it. I never tire from blasting 4-5 ft away, wfo in a big drift past some dudes in an outhouse sized fishing shack who've been whispering to eachother all day to not scare the fish away :lol:

if you use the 3/8 tall picks in the front you might tag the bolts that hold the fender on, depending on what you get doing, we've done it. :roll:

Put a scabby pipe on it :wink:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

we've always been taught that you dont place a pic where the last one would track, always space them / angle them so they cut their own trail. expecially on the outer edges of the front.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote: Its a riot, just goon riding you'll love it. I never tire from blasting 4-5 ft away, wfo in a big drift past some dudes in an outhouse sized fishing shack who've been whispering to eachother all day to not scare the fish away :lol:
:lol: :lol:
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

seanmx57 wrote:
lewisclan wrote:My best advice is MOVE to AZ
:lol:

NOT

cold sucks but so does 130degrees
Riverside, CA is better.

8 motos tracks all within and hour and 15.
It would be 10 but Elsinore is closed and so is Perris but perris is going to reopen after Pala has its way with it.

Back to your programing. :wink:
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Hmmm. Somewhat similar to your fairgrounds episodes in your youth Roosty? Lol. Sounds like somethings never change. At least you can ride year round. Unlike the shithole I live in where you can't ride the ice 'cuz there ISN'T any but sucks enough you can drop large and buy a sled and drag it north 3 hrs every weekend.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

scooter5002 wrote:Hmmm. Somewhat similar to your fairgrounds episodes in your youth Roosty? Lol. Sounds like somethings never change. At least you can ride year round. Unlike the shithole I live in where you can't ride the ice 'cuz there ISN'T any but sucks enough you can drop large and buy a sled and drag it north 3 hrs every weekend.
?

I wish we had video, there were 4 of us on bikes and a quad for recovery, whatever the 250s would pull for topend 1/4 mile onto the lake.
"in my youth", dude i'm 31, that wasnt more than 5 years ago :lol:

The river hasnt froze yet, its 30ft wide of open water, the lake has 2"of ice as of last weekend.
Its been shitty the last few years. We started into winter with a huge snowfall and got this lumpy shitty ice that wasnt worth starting the bikes for :cry:
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Welcome to the "I'm 17 years younger than that loser" club Roosty. My buddy in Gladstone did say that winter has been a little off the norm last couple of years. He's still tearin' it up on his sled though. Last time I saw winter in the Peg was in 07 and it was plenty cold then. 31. Lol. Wow, nothin' but a fond, and distant memory. Oh, btw, I live in southern Ont 30 miles from Lake Erie, 100 from the asshole of the country.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

scooter5002 wrote:Welcome to the "I'm 17 years younger than that loser" club Roosty. My buddy in Gladstone did say that winter has been a little off the norm last couple of years. He's still tearin' it up on his sled though. Last time I saw winter in the Peg was in 07 and it was plenty cold then. 31. Lol. Wow, nothin' but a fond, and distant memory. Oh, btw, I live in southern Ont 30 miles from Lake Erie, 100 from the asshole of the country.

gladstone / happy-rock whatever, it was always the home of the rodeo princess' :wink:

I was almost back to austin from gladstone at 2, maybee 3am one night and wfo in my hurse. The crossing light for the traintracks was down to 1 dim light. By the time i figured out what it was i seen the last train car go by :shock:
It could have been a copy cat to the ending of "Dirty Mary Crazy Larry"

i'm sorry to agree with you, but yes your location is properly described :lol:

The guys have been working alot here on construction stil, about 2 miles west of morden, up on the escarpment theres 2-3'of frost in the ground, only 12-16" at winkler.Its been very wierd, no snow 'til the last week of november if i remember right, almost a black deer hunting season. Years ago i had a plug that replaced the nitrous injector on my sled fall out, leaned a cyl and had it apart in the shop. My bro managed to pilfer the track frame and everything else off it and i never did fix it. Dad has a 1998 mach Z with close to 6000 kms on it, hasnt started it since 2002 i think. We didnt have enough snow to ride except for along the tree rows for 5 or 6 years, and the last couple its blown in so bad that its rough as hell. The groomer just started out today, just with the blade on to level things out and confirm where they can go.
scooter5002

Post by scooter5002 »

Ok. Now that we've COMPLETELY hi-jacked sean's thread, you ever ride that track in Brandon by Pauls Hauling, east end of town. Saw it spring of 09 working with said buddy there, but didn't have a bike with me. Bobtailed 2400 km, worked for month of May and bounced home. Gnarly assed sand track. Probably not like Austin but we have sand tracks down here and that was ROUGH! Never groomed though, probably why.
Speedway73

Post by Speedway73 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:we've always been taught that you dont place a pic where the last one would track, always space them / angle them so they cut their own trail. expecially on the outer edges of the front.
Called scratch lines in the drag sled world.

Doesn't anybody use kold kutters anymore??
dubious01

Post by dubious01 »

Speedway73 wrote:
Roostius_Maximus wrote:we've always been taught that you dont place a pic where the last one would track, always space them / angle them so they cut their own trail. expecially on the outer edges of the front.
Called scratch lines in the drag sled world.

Doesn't anybody use kold kutters anymore??
Yup, lots of guys still...
http://www.koldkutter.com/catalog/