Ebay or rebuild?

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
robfromga

Ebay or rebuild?

Post by robfromga »

Rear end took a dump :lol: Leaked all its fluid. The question is, send it off for 260 bones or pick up a shock on egay? I found what LOOKS to be a good shock on ebay for 130 shipped. Looks good, but who knows.

Ideas? Im not made outta gold :roll:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

is it newer bike ? buy a seal for $15 and do it yourself. just a idea :idea: :idea: . called a rod guide on the micro phish. also want the oring. #14 and #18. wouldnt hurt to replace piston ring and other oring while your in there if they show signs of wear. #16 and #18. $11.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

If he has never ground the nut off, or staked it back on... it might be more than he's up to...

Whats your comfort level Rob, its not hard.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

nut aint too bad. think it through before hacking. i used dremel and it worked good. cant remeber if i staked it, might of used loctite. couple whacks with a punch if you restake. no need to over do it incase you have to replace seal again down the road. forgot you need new nut also.
robfromga

Post by robfromga »

Is there a video on how to rebuild it any where?
Tharrell

Post by Tharrell »

Yeah, that would be a good sticky for the maintenance section.
Somebody that knows how, do it.
There's a ton of other pics/videos here including at least one VERY good total engine rebuild.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

im sure theres a video on youtube but ive never checked so i dont know for sure. you will want a manual in case you get lost plus it will show you how to fill it back with oil, i would go to the other site and dload it. its a easy job, even easier once you do it once. not sure how others do it but i can give you quick idea of how i do it. it is the seal leaking right ? wont do any good to mess with the seal if that aint the part leaking. anyways take the big nuts and spring off. push the air valve to make sure all pressure is out. then i unscrew the adjuster valve on the side of the shock. i believe it takes a special 4 prong tool but i put a towel on it and gently loosen with pliers. keep the rag on there will unscrewing so oil dont spray out incase theres alittle pressure. after thats out you need to dump the oil and pump rod up/down to get the rest of the oil out. then above the rubber bumber on the rod theres a cap that you need to pop out with a small screwdriver. under that cap is the rod guide. push it up and you see a retainer clip in a groove. need a pick or similar to get that out. then complete rod assembly comes out. rod will be mushroomed on the end, ned dremel or something to carefully grind that off so nut came loosen and come off. put end of shock in a vice with towel or use screwdriver in the end fork portion and take nut off. dont fuck up the threads whatever you do. then get some wire or zip tie and pull everything off in its exact position and have the wire or zip tie through the middle so the shims dont get mixxed up or lost. putting it back together you need something to go over the end of the rod threads so the seal wont get damaged. theres a special cover thing you can buy but some tape should work fine. i oil up the seal and rod and tape so it slides back on easy. put everything back together opposite of how it came apart. stake the nut with a punch or use loctite and torque to spec. fill up with oil and install adjuster valve. get nitrogen refilled. did i mention have a manual handy :D

check piston bushing deal also. might need that and the orings i mentioned earlier. i would tear everything apart first and see what you need then order parts. also probly want to use a new nut.

ive done several and this is my method. you might find a better way though.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Highvelocity will do your shock for a lot less than that, even if your bladder is punctured.
Typically I redo mine once a year-he uses synthetic shock oil and all oem seals.

if you don't mind sending it to albuquerque
http://www.highvelocitycycles.com/
03 CRF450/85 500
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

sometimes you have to send stuff out. but this is easy job. $30 for parts at the most. less if bushing dont need replaced. probly take half a day start to finish. $150 in a shop plus 10 days down time :?