1999 Rebuild, It's time to make some power!

Recount your rebuilds here!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

if it shrinks then you may have a problem. if no shrinkage occurs then you should be good. as long as it dont get smashed in transport.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

might call pete and see if he needs it sent. some guys want a specimen sent so they can measure for themselves. not sure what petes procedures are. you could measure and just call and tell him.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

i'f you've got kids, you likely have the stuff somewhere. Its made for hanging posters and crap. it doesnt get hard, i have some we've been using for probably 4 years, recently we've changed suppliers :lol:
We now stock the Elmers brand of "tac n stick" (also from the dollar store)
hahahaha. we've been using this stuff since the 80s
There are harder ones out there, this is soft enough to squish out of the way and doesnt retract. like i said, we mainly use it on the pistons for checking clearence to the valve.

"won't dry out"

caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

Roosty if it doesnt harden how do you get an accurate measurement? or off the piston without damaging it?
-Jake

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

roll it thru, it stays where it got squished to when you stick it to the piston and lube the head, measure how thick it is and go on with ur day
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

Altight I'm off to the dollar store! :D
-Jake

caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

They don't Carry it at my $1 store... I'm going to try Michaels craft store now
-Jake

caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

Man I've tried everywhere it lookslikethe only way to get this stuff is to order it off Amazon. I'm going to try lead today if my dad can bring any home
-Jake

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

WALMART
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

I'll try there later and get some if they have it, I got the sauder to crush Clyde was right I didnt have it over enough, I want something else like the Tac'n stik to double check my reading though.... I will post pics later. I used a micrometer to do my measuring.
-Jake

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

doood. first of all, ive never heard any cr500 head being .120. not sure whats going on. you dont need 2' of solder. just 2 small pieces just long enough to extend past the edge of the band. it would be one thing if you already had the tic n stick shit laying around BUT your driving all over town waisting time, the shit you need is already in your garage. and calipers are alot easier to work with....... btw :lol:

let me show you son :cool: . you made a 10min job into 1.5 days :lol: . all you need right here. it is what it is, no need to double check anything. roll piston down a britincali hair from the top, install putty, solder, playdoh, piece of fresh dog shit, or what ever your going to put in there, roll piston over and measure.......done.

caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

I got it, figured out, sorry it's my first time doing this. I'm in the process of taking the cylinder off right now... It doesn't want to budge, I soaked all the studs in kroil, I guess after 11 years it wanted to stay there.

Update I got it off in the process of taking pictures...
-Jake

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

remember to post pics of that new port job........... so blowbillybob can copy petes work :lmao:
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

Heres the lead thats been crushed it measured .139 on the micrometer
Heres the piston, it's in decent shape... I will be taking it off the rod tomorrow to inspect the under side and look closer for cracks. I want to hear opinions? Also I have access to a hot bath, would putting the piston in there help clean it up at all? or remove carbon from the top?
Heres the bore, its hard to tell from the pictures but the factory cross hatching is very visible and the finish is really smooth. I would like to hear opinions on this as well.
Finally the ports, they are very rough lots of lips and dips, I think theres room for lots of improvement here :D
-Jake

caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

Looks like I will be re using the piston as long as the bore measures even which it should. No cracks, how does the underside look? its got a blueish color change to it, Im going to put it in the hot bath tomorrow at work. :D
-Jake

caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

I run my mixture at 50:1 Bel Ray MC-1 this motor was WFO 99% of the time it was ridden since its my hillclimb bike
-Jake

britincali

Post by britincali »

Looks like you have a shitload of blowby!!!!!
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

Would that be uncommon for a bike with the original topend? :lol:
-Jake

britincali

Post by britincali »

No but if it were me I would be getting the next oversize piston and having it bored+honed
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

britincali wrote:No but if it were me I would be getting the next oversize piston and having it bored+honed
X2

Cause most likely the bore is over .005"
and you maybe hard pressed to get the ring end gap less than .020"
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

100hp honda wrote:remember to post pics of that new port job........... so blowbillybob can copy petes work :lmao:

Lol!!!! That was a knee slapper!!!!

Hey! Clyde ain't you got something else better to do like taking some you tube videos of your self in your storage unit ridin your katooms??

I hope you've been practicing your shifting, you don't shift a cr or a ktm like a snowplow and expect to be fast :lol:
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

blownbillybob wrote:
100hp honda wrote:remember to post pics of that new port job........... so blowbillybob can copy petes work :lmao:

Hey! Clyde ain't you got something else better to do like taking some you tube videos of your self in your storage unit ridin your katooms??

I hope you've been practicing your shifting, you don't shift a cr or a ktm like a snowplow and expect to be fast :lol:

i really dont like making movies.......... but you wife keep requesting to see more. guess she digs ktm's :lmao:
blownbillybob

Post by blownbillybob »

100hp honda wrote:
blownbillybob wrote:

i really dont like making movies.......... but you wife keep requesting to see more. guess she digs ktm's :lmao:
no she doesnt like ktms, she just gets a laugh out of watching the HOMO whos riding it !!!!

she did have a good idea, she said you should go the the networks with a new reality show call "QUEER EYE FOR THE GAY KTM GUY" and your the star!!!! :rotfl:

:homo:

clydes boy friend> :spank: <clyde
00'cr500 trailclimber
93'cr500 beater
92'cr500 hillclimber
08,KTM SR500r hillclimber (conv)
89'cr 500 bent frame
04'crf230(wifeys)
02' cr125(sons)
02,pro jr 50 open exh. hill climber(sons)
02'sx65(sons)
03'xr50(sons)
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

Just ordered V Force 3 reeds $125 shipped, once I get these I will be sending all my stuff off to get re worked
-Jake

100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

you can cut the wings and match the insert yourself. im sure you knew that though. when it shows up see how well it fits in the jug and report back. wonder if its a pain in the balls like mine was.