My supermoto Rebuild...

Recount your rebuilds here!
ctatv

My supermoto Rebuild...

Post by ctatv »

So I figured I would start up this thread. My CR500 was already set up for supermoto for the last few years but I decided to do a rebuild on it last year and have slowly creeped forward.

Here is what it has looked like the previous few years:

So whats 'a changin' you ask?

headlight for starters. I bought the Baja Designs dual Fuego 4" race lights to replace the crappy acerbis ones

I tore the entire bike down. The motor went to my engine builder & there was a crack in the case where the bolt goes through the frame and back of engine. Ordered a new case and it just came in the other day. He is going through the top and bottom of the motor as well as an aggressive port job on it

I also just dropped off the frame, subframe, tripple tree, and pegs off for powder coating. everything is being done in a bright red accept the pegs which are being done in a textured black

Tires... My pirelli rain tires were worn in the rear and beginning to dry rot in the front. I ordered Michelin Pilot Power 2CT street tires to put on my Excel talagaso 17s

Exhaust... I am going to replace my pro circuit pipe with a new pipe because it has cracked multiple times. 95% chance I will replace with another PC pipe

Swingarm... I am in the process of polishing the swingarm down to 3000 grit... its slow going and wont look flawless as its the stock 1990 aluminum swingarm and it has chips/gashes as would be expected on a dirtbike with that many miles of on and off road on it

I will get some pics up as things start to come back together.

I have a parts list to order I need to get vforce reeds/cage, exhaust system, new twist throttle (stole the old twist throttle for my KLX pit bike lol), new grips, in line hydrolic brake sensors for front and rear brakes)

Im sure there is more i'm missing but thats a start to the list

oh, here is a video of the bike from a few years ago

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8656&hl=en#[/youtube]
1990 CR500 Street legal Supermoto
ctatv

Post by ctatv »

Just got my frame, subframe, clamps, and pegs back from powder coating!

Travis

Post by Travis »

Looks good, can't wait to see the finished product. :cool:
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

:cool: :cool: :cool:
ctatv

Post by ctatv »

Baja designs dual Fuego 4" race lights

ctatv

Post by ctatv »

Michelin Pilot Power tires. Regular soft compound up front and 2CT dual compound in the rear. (since this is a street machine and the 500 has so much tq I went with the dual compound so I dont wear out the middle so quickly)

matt_NC

Post by matt_NC »

Powder coating looks sweet!!!

Can't wait to see this one.

:eatdrink:
ctatv

Post by ctatv »

matt_NC wrote:Powder coating looks sweet!!!

Can't wait to see this one.

me either! I haven't ridden it in close to two years. I am giving myself December to source the remainder of the new parts and the assembly will commence during January
crf69

Post by crf69 »

seen your bike for years now here and smj.....finshed yet ;)
They should take the warning labels off of everything and let stupidity sort itself out.
ctatv

Post by ctatv »

crf69 wrote:seen your bike for years now here and smj.....finshed yet ;)
well it was "done" and I rode it for a few years but now I'm working rather than in college and single rather than with a girlfriend so its getting the full treatment it deserves.

Speaking of which,

I had a Pro Moto Billet kick stand but at stock length with the moto setup it was clearly too long. I had to park on a "hill" or "dip" and even then there were times a stiff wind could take it down.

Tonight I had my Friend's Dad's welder cut an inch and 3/4 off and re-weld the bottom on it. this guy is a master fabricator I only wish I could lay down a TIG weld like this...

ctatv

Post by ctatv »

Ordered some more stuff today...

a new twin-air air filter

A Motion Pro twist throttle (I stole the throttle off it for my KLX110 pit bike when i put a bigger carb on it)

Pro Circuit header

Pro circuit 304 silencer

Acerbis supermoto front fender
AdmirableSoup

Post by AdmirableSoup »

Ctatv, Could you explain how you are going to power those lights up please. Can the stock stator run enough current to keep those lit up?
AdmirableSoup

Post by AdmirableSoup »

Ctatv, Could you explain how you are going to power those lights up please. Can the stock stator run enough current to keep those lit up?
crf69

Post by crf69 »

My promoto billet is too long also.....it can be managed tho
They should take the warning labels off of everything and let stupidity sort itself out.
kball1313

motard

Post by kball1313 »

Bike's looking good man!

Best to cut the kickstand shorter especially if you have a fair bit of sag. It'll be way too tipsy otherwise.

He's got an obsolete E-line lighting coil that pumps out 200w that will do a good job of keeping those lit, especially if they're HID ones because they use less current to stay lit, but more to start up initially.
If if doesn't kill you, it hurts like hell.
Quads are dirtbikes for fat kids.
matt_NC

Post by matt_NC »

Any updates?

NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

No need to sand the aluminum down with 3000 grit. i sanded my swingarm with 400 grit on a orbital sander (DA) and then hit it with a mothers powerball and mothers mag&aluminum polish. the polish took the sandscratches out and made her shine like chrome.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
ctatv

Post by ctatv »

AdmirableSoup wrote:Ctatv, Could you explain how you are going to power those lights up please. Can the stock stator run enough current to keep those lit up?
eline lighting coil with flywheel weights. dual 200 watt AC leads I believe
ctatv

Post by ctatv »

matt_NC wrote:Any updates?

its going back together over the next month or so. The engine builder has the engine all apart and all parts ready for the rebuild. he said the crank was still good. he is doing new crank bearings though.

I am picking graphics. what do you all think i should get?

ctatv

Re: motard

Post by ctatv »

kball1313 wrote:Bike's looking good man!

Best to cut the kickstand shorter especially if you have a fair bit of sag. It'll be way too tipsy otherwise.

He's got an obsolete E-line lighting coil that pumps out 200w that will do a good job of keeping those lit, especially if they're HID ones because they use less current to stay lit, but more to start up initially.
if that is the out of date setup what are people running now? I didnt get the HID ones they were 700 bucks instead of 400...

the light setup itself comes with a battery pack attached to it I assume to help prevent the light from going dim at low RPMs. I had a sealed lead acid battery in the airbox before but this time im not doing that. no need for lights when the engine isnt on.
ctatv

Post by ctatv »

Bike should be done on friday hopefully. was supposed to be in July but my engine builder fell and was road rashed up bad, then was supposed to be done last friday but he fell on a clay driveway and got a concussion.

not the best pic but in the 3rd one you can see that swingarm I polished and in the first picture you can see my rear tire/rim down on the ground... the Pilot Power :)

ctatv

Post by ctatv »

It will be finished by next weekend... here it is as of today.

Picking my baby up this coming friday! Stopped by earlier today to drop a part off and take a look at it...

ctatv

Post by ctatv »

So my bike was all set. My engine builder threw the motor in the rolling chassis and took it for a good 15 or 20 mile ride. On the way back to his house (while I was on my way to pick it up) something went in the bottom end, the rear end locked up, and it cracked the brand new left side case in two spots. I have just had poor luck all the way along on this rebuild. stopped over to see it and snapped a few pics with my iphone of the bike but he is supposed to be pulling the motor now to see what happened...

knobby668

Post by knobby668 »

Sorry for your bad luck. I am glad I can do all my own engine work.
If something goes wrong all I can do is blame myself.

If I paid someone and that happened to me, wow I can even begin to describe how pissed off I would be!

Hope you get it back on the road soon.
CR500...WINNING!!
ctatv

Post by ctatv »

knobby668 wrote:Sorry for your bad luck. I am glad I can do all my own engine work.
If something goes wrong all I can do is blame myself.

If I paid someone and that happened to me, wow I can even begin to describe how pissed off I would be!

Hope you get it back on the road soon.
yeah, he is a good builder though I have a lot of trust in him, and he surely does a much better job than I could on my motor. I never took the bike back and he did the entire top and bottom end of the motor so it should all be on him to fix it. he already said i wasnt getting charged for labor for him fixing it but the only thing that could be a note of contention is the case, which is 400 bucks and BRAND NEW since the previous one was cracked where the bolt goes through the back of the motor. He said since they issued a new serial number to my motor when i bought the new case from honda, he may be able to get a new case on warranty, but we will have words if he thinks im paying another 400 bucks for another new case after I just bought one for the motor...

Was a bad day. 2 days before my lever on my jetboat broke off in my hand, then on my way to pick up the bike (before I knew about the motor failure) my brake line went on my pickup truck and I lost my brakes at like 40mph in construction traffic and barely managed to get it stopped without hitting anything...

I have been working with this guy for a long time on multiple vehicles and have had nothing but really good luck with him. Shit happens so as long as he follows through and everything ends up OK in the end I'm not mad at him. I sure am frustrated as shit that I still haven't gotten to ride my bike and its august though...