96 barn find rebuild.....

Recount your rebuilds here!
eyesky2002

96 barn find rebuild.....

Post by eyesky2002 »

Had a rider drop off a 96 CR500R he got out of or should I say from "behind" some barn in Kearney, NE. $400.00................

The compression blew 75, but the beast still ran and even scared him on his test rides :P

Almost every bolt has rust, the front disk cover & an exhaust manifold bolt snapped; swing arm bolt is fussed into the chassis and swing arm!

Topend had a 89.50 Wiseco with a large crack and the rings fused totally out of line with the ring pins!

Fork seals have been leaking for a decade or so....

My avatar is too small....

"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

GSS??
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

AlisoBob wrote:Image

GSS??
LOL... Yeah I thought the same thing, looks just like the Vertex Glen did for me... :shock: Either way once the hoon gets his parts together it is heading for Glen :cool:

ANY IDEAS ON THE SWING ARM BOLT?

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
r1yfz

Post by r1yfz »

i think i know who bought this.... im pretty shure he bought a old 76 185cc suzuki from me last night.... im out of omaha..... small world if it was him! let me know if you need any parts! i have a 2001 im parting out!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

nice find!
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

eyesky2002 wrote: ANY IDEAS ON THE SWING ARM BOLT?
lots of PB BLASTER and SOME HEAT.... nice find for 400$... bout like what i bought and mines almost done... :wink:
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

nice find good for a rebuild project
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
qkenuf4u

Re: 96 barn find rebuild.....

Post by qkenuf4u »

eyesky2002 wrote: The compression blew 75, but the beast still ran and even scared him on his test rides :P
:?: you seen/heard this thing run with 75psi ?? ive NEVER seen a bike start with less than a 100 unless pull started (behind a quad etc) :roll: :?: :?:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

AlisoBob wrote:Image

GSS??
i dont know. dont see any cheese grater marks in the bore :lol:
Joshwfl

Post by Joshwfl »

qkenuf4u wrote::?: you seen/heard this thing run with 75psi ?? ive NEVER seen a bike start with less than a 100 unless pull started (behind a quad etc) :roll: :?: :?:
This was at 90 psi:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3321372979#
qkenuf4u

Post by qkenuf4u »

Joshwfl wrote:
qkenuf4u wrote::?: you seen/heard this thing run with 75psi ?? ive NEVER seen a bike start with less than a 100 unless pull started (behind a quad etc) :roll: :?: :?:
This was at 90 psi:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3321372979#
must be that big ol piston in there flyin around gets enough revolutions to fire off... :?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

take a fresh top end to 8000'-9000' and it probly only have 100psi :wink:
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

qkenuf4u wrote:
eyesky2002 wrote: The compression blew 75, but the beast still ran and even scared him on his test rides :P
:?: you seen/heard this thing run with 75psi ?? ive NEVER seen a bike start with less than a 100 unless pull started (behind a quad etc) :roll: :?: :?:
I could fire it on the first kick, the owner could not after 10 :P Hell it blew 50psi cold and grew to 75 after I ran the float bowl dry to get a little heat built up. Add in the rings fused all spun around and I am amazed it ran, hell I am amazed the bore has no groves :o

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

eyesky2002 wrote:[Either way once the hoon gets his parts together it is heading for Glen
I dunno.... I think Glen may be past his prime.

I sent a few messages to him to get his thoughts on the parts he sent me, now that he has them back in his own hands...

Everybody fucks up from time to time.... just be a man and stand up to take the heat, lick your wounds, and swear it will never happen again.

.... and its over.

Glen should have come on, and explained that this one should have never shipped, and that he's going to keep a closer eye on everything... now that he knows how "picky" we are.

Nope, nothing.. not a peep. Thats the sign of a shitty vendor if you ask me.

Save yourself some grief, and send your stuff to Adam... He's the only machinist I currently reccomend for CR500 stuff.
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Last edited by glen howell on December 2nd, 2010, 1:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

glen you have to agree that cylinder was fuked up. hard to believe you would sell it to someone else without being fixed. most guys dont know much about engines and probly wouldnt notice, well untill they slide the piston in and it wedges :lol: . transfer ports didnt open correctly on both sides either. its not a slam against you, just saying that cylinder was fukked. million dollars of equipment doesnt meen anything if the guy operating it dont turn the dials correctly. :cool:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I've copied glens post so it cant be replcaced later

"Thanks Bob I thought I was being nice, and to let you know I have close to a million dollars in equiptment to work on CR-500 engines and other types of machine work and a lot more equiptment than Adam I think Adam does very nice work ,He seems like a very nice person but I wonder if he did 60 CR-500 engines last year,and since you asked I rechecked the parts you sent back,I replaced the piston that got broken in shipment due to the way you packed the parts, anyyway I sold the parts to a fellow hoon in VA. for $825.00 who had been on a waiting list,He called me 2 day's ago and said he got it togeather and was in love, and the porting was just what he wanted, and was very happy with the work , Now I don't go around knocking the people that due good work and say things about them that I don't have the equiptment to test or to check out there work with, If I'm unhappy I ask the vendor what he wants to do about it?and I'm sure you remember who gave you all new parts to replace your used parts to satisfy you short commings,My Company stands in front of our work and behind our work ,I hope for your sake somebody will help you in the future and say good things about you in the future. I assure that I have no bad feelings toward you.Now if you want to take me off your approved vendor list so be it ,Good luck to you and all the HOONS I've done business with over the past 3 years, But you must remember I was in business 39 years before I came in contact with your people,And I have never had but the 2 complantes comming from you and a fellow in Wy. since I've been your approved vendor and I have never beat you or any fellow hoons out of a single dollar since I have been your approved vendor. Thanks again reguards, Glen"

In no way has equipment ever been involved. I dont need to start talking about who has what or makes do with whatever. Fact is, I build race engines, all day, every day, on the newest machines that hold the tightest tolerences. If a million dollars is a milestone in machine shops we were there in the 80's.

When I was in cali I was there when the box was opened, I dropped the piston in the bore and watched it hang below the transfers becasue the bore was small.
It was obviously bored with a cutter, almost to size, then ballhoned, i say obvious becasue the cutter marks were stil radially visable in the cylinder, and the slight appearence of a crosshatch couldnt hide it.

The porting is your own, we didnt measure it or really give a ratts ass about what was done, concerns were made over the transfers beeing different heights side to side. I understand that alot of cylinders are out from factory, some appear to be out due to large chamfer, but this wasnt a chamfer issue and this was a "ported" cylinder from a flow bench.

I've realized the flow bench cant replicate the engine environment properly and have moved on to another method that proved itself first time out.

I have never let a bore from anything out of this shop looking as piss poor as that. I have cylinders we stop .005" before finish on that look better than this did. Maybee something went on and the last cut was larger than prefered. In that situation here I know the bore would be made the next size rather than a ragged ring-eater cylinder wall.

Glen, I have the newest superflow, i have the newest hone, i have the digital block mill, I'm correcting the competitions offset bores and crooked/miss matched deck height, main housing bores and more. I'm not going to tell you that iron can replace experience, I will tell you that not everyone in the shop is allowed near these machines. Myself and my head machinist are thee only ones.

I spent 1000$ on tooling to size the 500s on the automated rottler hone, only to set it aside and go back to finishing the bores on the sunnen rod sizing machine because i didnt like its appearence.

I might have only done 15 or 16 cr500 cylinders last year, but i've done hundreds of other atv, jetski, motorcylce, and lawn mower engines aswell as the 400+ race engines that left the building and conquered every series they were in.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

AlisoBob wrote: He's the only machinist I currently reccomend for CR500 stuff.
Glen, Adam is the machinist "I" reccomend. You still have a good track record servicing many other members on this board, and I'm not trying to take that away from you. You did fail to respond to my messages though, and I do think thats unacceptable.

GSS did send me new stuff, as promised. That was above and beyond what any vendor would have done. Thank you Glen.

Regarding the broken piston... You should have contacted me as soon as you discovered it. I bought $600 of insurance on that shipment. UPS would have paid the claim.

Regarding Roosty's post. The finish in cylinder he provided was silky smooth, and the clearence is perfect. In yours, the piston stuck and the bore was pretty rough. Those are the facts and is the reason I didnt run what you sent me. I'm no spring chicken either Glen, and I've never seen machine work like that. I was flat out unacceptable.

Like I said before, I hope all this either opens some members eyes on this site, or helps you deliver a better product. Its best for everyone.
britincali

Post by britincali »

glen howell wrote:,And I have never had but the 2 complantes comming from you and a fellow in Wy.

Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

think i mentioned it before but a dude from other site called me a while back regarding some stuff glen did for him. claimed the piston got hung in the bore. its been a while, possibly before this site was created. dont recall if i spoke with him afterwards to see what the outcome was. seems like that point in time glen was considered "the man" and anyone going against the grain would have been seriously flamed or tossed out by AP or the other mods. probly the reason he called me rather than go public. :confused:
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

glen howell wrote:and since you asked I rechecked the parts you sent back,
what was your conclusion ? heres a pic incase you forgot what it looked like. the transfer floors were off just as far.

anyyway I sold the parts to a fellow hoon in VA. for $825.00 who had been on a waiting list,He called me 2 day's ago and said he got it togeather and was in love, and the porting was just what he wanted, and was very happy with the work
you didnt mention anything about fixing the parts. thats just wrong if you repackaged them parts and sold them as-is to the guy in VA. wouldnt want my name associated with that deal :?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Look at the finish in that bore, compared to Roosty's.... its like comparing this....

Palmdale
to this.......

Miami, Manitoba
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

writing instruments were invented over 6000 years ago (4000 BC). makes a perfect straight line in the bore. guess its faster to "eye-ball" it :lol: . im probly the biggest backyard mechanic there is but i got pencils and markers to make straight lines :D

gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

this is a sad turn of events bob can all this be moved to another thread to help declutter eyeskys thread on his find/rebuild
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I'll clean this all out later......