clutch

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
2strokeforever

clutch

Post by 2strokeforever »

im thinking of making an electric assist clutch...
a brake light switch would work perfect with my hydraulic clutch, but the hard part will be finding a solenoid with enough power, and fitting it under the clutch cover
has anyone ever done something like this??
i was thinking vacuum assist, but with how much i use the clutch it will need quite a bit of flow, and would prolly lean it out everytime i use the clutch
and id rather burn my bike than get an auto crutch...
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

or i could have a vacuum pump and have it let vacuum into the other side of the slave, so oil is pushing on the piston and the vacuum is pulling on the other side...

or have 10 lbs of air go into the master cylinder reservoir when i press the clutch... but would it let the clutch disengage, id have to use a lever position switch for that one..

any other ideas????
the 450 will have less power and will be harder to start, and will be heavier, but to make up for it it will require more maintenance.
4stroke=dead fish
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

or you could just get a rekluse :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

or you could just get a rekluse
and become a shitty rider???? im confused im trying to go faster for longer, not become a handicap, but if i were....
i could ride faster on a 1982 ds80 with a flat front tire than i could on my bike if it had a rekluse on it.... im serious they dont work for me
id rather burn my bike than get an auto crutch...
and anything that gives more leverage wont work because then i wont have enough throw...
but i could prolly get away with a 9.0 master cyl
ill be getting a barnett basket so thatll help
4stroke=dead fish
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Gravel Scratcher wrote:or you could just get a rekluse :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

why why why. Is your clutch that heavy after installing a magura
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

no i use a lot tho, in and out of EVERY corner usualy withjust my index finger... but after a few hours straight i need 2 fingers

and i pile on a green chain, so strength isnt a issue :cool:
4stroke=dead fish
Gravel Scratcher

Post by Gravel Scratcher »

Image[/quote]
great idea Bob,
i'll just regift them to 2stroke for christmas :lol:
if there's one thing dad likes more than serenity… it's a two stroke engine on full throttle!
Wheelie-Gene

Re: clutch

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

2strokeforever wrote: a brake light switch would work perfect with my hydraulic clutch,
You have a hudraulic clutch?

I had one on my CR250................ used a Nighthawk master, a Mazda slave and a custom pusher rod.
It worked great, w/a light lever.

Maybe your cylinders are mis-matched and making for a heavy pull.

I'm no expert electrician, but isn't a solenoid ethier extended or retracted, and having no controllable medium?
Basically a steel plunger pushed/pulled in an on/off environment.

A high-torque motorized actuator controlled by a potentiometer (rheostat) would be the set-up to go with (cars/caterpillars/jets use electric-over electric, electric/hydraulic systems).
Except it'd be complex, heavy and also need a power supply.
It'd probably have system lag also.

Vacuum assist?
Need to quit thinking "automotive" and broaden your ideas.
Engine-drive hudraulics could be miniature/powerful and not needing a substantial power source as an eletromagnetic system.

Be easier to just swap back to the pull cable and mod the bell crank for an easier pull.

Hell, dump the transmission/chain/sprockets all together and build a hydrostatic drive.
Last edited by Wheelie-Gene on October 16th, 2010, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

I'm no expert electrician, but isn't a solenoid ethier extended or retracted
if it takes 10 lbs to pull the clutch arm in the idea is to have a 5 lb electromagnet so it just halves it, no electronics on/off
Maybe your cylinders are mis-matched and making for a heavy pull.
no it made it easier than stock, but it would be nice to have a late model KTM300 feel to the lever
i was thinking if i had a milling machine id try and get the KTM300 brembo clutch setup on my bike :cool:
its that much better, it pushes directly on the clutch rod instead of pulling a lever that turns a shaft with a chunk cut out which then pushes on the clutch rod????????

the brembo KTM300 clutch is like a new cr 85 pull
4stroke=dead fish
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

There's not much room to play with on the left side case since the countershaft sprocket/pocket takes up so much space.

There's room on the clutch side............ billet covers seem to be available (and weldable).
My Sportster has a "pull" type clutch......... it has a funky ball/ramp mechanism in the clutch cover, and for a big/heavy hunk of shit, it has a buttery feel.
Not sure if Harley has ramped up and went hydraulic...... and a place to look for parts.

There's a V-Rod cylinder on ebay.
Not sure if it's a puller or pusher, but cheap enough not to cause an issue if it won't work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-V ... ccessories
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

i think you need to inject some part b and harden up princess
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

start spanking the monkey with your clutch hand
03 CRF450/85 500
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

dude will have carpal tunnel and be completely screwed :lol:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

kdizzle

I wont even say it.

Post by kdizzle »

2stroke you seem like a pretty hardcore rider. Seriously take a look at what all the top enduro/WORCS/GNCC riders are using for a clutch and follow thier lead. I know exactly what you are struggling with and i struggled with it when getting the AF setup for GP's. The enduro section of the WORCS races was killing me, especially the logs and tires. Stall the bike and your fucked. There is an easy answer just some people are stuck in the 80's or have never ridden a proper setup GP bike.. my clutch doesnt slip at all and i enjoy 1 finger clutch every time i ride. I use the clutch now more than ever.

Please guys I wont say one more thing about it. lets just let it die here. Thanks.
Travis

Re: I wont even say it.

Post by Travis »

kdizzle wrote:2stroke you seem like a pretty hardcore rider. Seriously take a look at what all the top enduro/WORCS/GNCC riders are using for a clutch and follow thier lead. I know exactly what you are struggling with and i struggled with it when getting the AF setup for GP's. The enduro section of the WORCS races was killing me, especially the logs and tires. Stall the bike and your fucked. There is an easy answer just some people are stuck in the 80's or have never ridden a proper setup GP bike.. my clutch doesnt slip at all and i enjoy 1 finger clutch every time i ride. I use the clutch now more than ever.

Please guys I wont say one more thing about it. lets just let it die here. Thanks.
So what do you use? Not trying to drag this on, just curious. I am being serious.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

Travis

Post by Travis »

ah, I understand now. lol
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

alot of dudes putting ktm hydros on various different bikes. couldnt be that hard, just alittle brain power :lol:. might even be one specific for the cr500. never really checked into it.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

i got a magura, the ktm thing is the slave, look at one
2stroke you seem like a pretty hardcore rider. Seriously take a look at what all the top enduro/WORCS/GNCC riders are using for a clutch and follow thier lead. I know exactly what you are struggling with and i struggled with it when getting the AF setup for GP's. The enduro section of the WORCS races was killing me, especially the logs and tires. Stall the bike and your fucked. There is an easy answer just some people are stuck in the 80's or have never ridden a proper setup GP bike.. my clutch doesnt slip at all and i enjoy 1 finger clutch every time i ride. I use the clutch now more than ever.
i use my clutch like crazy, and can use 1 finger till i get tired, which is 2 hours racing/harescramble, then im at 2 fingers
if i could just get it to a 250 feel at the lever
i grease the clutch lever and the arm with maxima grease(pretty thin stuff) everytime i clean my airfilter
Seriously take a look at what all the top enduro/WORCS/GNCC riders are using for a clutch and follow thier lead
easy KTM300, at least where i ride
4stroke=dead fish
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

Everyone mentiones the ktm 300 but that thing doesn't have enough low end for me.. and not enough too end either. Fuck that thing my AF stomps that bike in every aspect. All I'm sayin is I'd sure as hell be making a call to re**use before I engineered an electric clutch assist.

Good riding though man I enjoy looking at the race pics you post.
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

Everyone mentiones the ktm 300 but that thing doesn't have enough low end for me.. and not enough too end either.
ya dosent have enough power anywhere for me
but its the woods weapon of choice for lots of people
4stroke=dead fish
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

2strokeforever wrote:
Everyone mentiones the ktm 300 but that thing doesn't have enough low end for me.. and not enough too end either.
ya dosent have enough power anywhere for me
but its the woods weapon of choice for lots of people
That is because it is about the biggest "new" 2 stroke anyone can get their hands on. As for your topic, I'll be a wimp and side with kdizzle :lol:
I can't believe with the range of adjustment the pussy clutch offers that you couldn't find a setting that suits you. It is third on my list of best add ons you could buy for a dirt bike. Just behind o ring chain and a scotts! $.02
2strokeforever

Post by 2strokeforever »

I can't believe with the range of adjustment the pussy clutch offers that you couldn't find a setting that suits you
if youre ever in bc let me know :twisted:
4stroke=dead fish