02' CRF 450 Conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Gix wrote:I was gonna make a spacer up to use that hole but instead decided tp just drill the frame and put another nutsert in there about 30mm down from the one you mention
Ya it looks like it was meant for the exhaust mount...but i'm not 100% sure yet...do you have any pics of that?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Balaclava wrote:
Thanks alot bob, i would never have known that there was even a shorter plug...i asked my guy at honda about a shorty and he didn't even know...
Yea, when were not bashing / spiting other has-been sites, we manage to get some decent info out......once in a while.

:wink:
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

yaaaa...mad drama on this site as of late...oh well it's entertaining and i keep learning more from reading everyone's crazy opinions...as far as has been sites go, i feel that this site is the only one worth being a part of...

now who is going to help me figure out my radiator and air box??
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Balaclava wrote:
Whats to figure out?
Gix

Post by Gix »

Balaclava wrote:
I'm using the same frame as you and I'm running crf250 GMX oversize rads, managed to do it without altering any spouts on the rads.
Airbox is standard 450 with rubber heat expanded to fit carb...

Can't show you any pics at mo as I'm about to remove the motor again as I've got a crankcase oil leak :(
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

^^^Awesome...this thing is going to go together nicely from here...

is a two sided headstay necessary? i might as well go two sided anyways. any idea which headstay method works the smoothest?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Gix wrote:
I'm using the same frame as you and I'm running crf250 GMX oversize rads, managed to do it without altering any spouts on the rads.
The CR500 head has two outlets

The CRF250 has one.

Please elaborate....
Gix

Post by Gix »

AlisoBob wrote:
Gix wrote:
The CR500 head has two outlets

The CRF250 has one.

Please elaborate....
You can either use a 'Y' piece to connect the two head outlets or as in my case one is blanked off
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

AlisoBob wrote:Image

Photo provided by Danny Graves..

Shorty is an NGK BR8ECM

:wink:
it works...:D

see man it's stuff like that that just makes my whole fuckin week you know...
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

k i just got my headstay welded...it looks alot like nmdesertriders headstay. i'm pretty happy with it, but like always i could have done it a little bit different and my bolts would have worked better...not really a big deal though...Rad mounts are finished, and now i'm basically down to fitting my airbox, exhaust, cdi and coil.

What do you 450 guys think about cdi and coil locations? should i just go with the original 450 spots?

should be done in a month i figure...
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Lets see a pic or two of how she looks!!!
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

ya i have to get em' up soon...i'm kinda choked at my exhaust mounts...my welder is kind of a hard guy to talk to...he really just flies through my welds like he's got better shit to do...but he does strong welds they just look clumpy...i'll show in a day or so when i have the time...i'm happy with my headstay and rads, just put a wicked set of pro-taper tripples on it with sick black fat bars...was going to get rims EXACTLy like yours but i'm just going to stick with the ones i got off the roller, and hopefully get in about a month of riding before the fuckin snow hits...going with the old turbine core silencer...
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

ok so in these pics you can see how i did the headstay...couldn't get it to bend completely round like eyesky's bike...but it's solid as shit...you can see where i welded on plate for my exhaust mounts...still haven't drilled the holes yet cause i'm waiting for my two other pipe mount locations to be finished before i do that...and you can see i'm putting the coil on the inside right of the frame...hence those two little coil mounts...Everything is done besides my airbox because the 01 250 boot i ordered is back ordered a couple weeks so if worse comes to worse then i'm going K&N filter for the first few rides...i am like dying to ride this bike so bad i can't even take it anymore...i don't even think i'm going to be polishing it up or anything blingy like that, because i only have maybe 2 months of riding left...Gettin'er done...deffinately not the most beautiful conversion around but she will work and RIP!!!!!

Balaclava

Issues!

Post by Balaclava »

ok...so i got my bike together, she's looking alright, few issues though...

1. Brake pedal hits my clutch cover. (should i just f'in bend the thing til it fits or was there something i'm missing?)

2. Airboot. (Ordered a 02 250 boot, anybody have any suggestions as to if this will work? i mocked it up and i can't help but rub against the shocker! is it absolutely necessary to avoid the shock?)

3. Was missing the little plastic cover that holds a bushing for the front axel, so i had to take it off my 450...fits but now i need to order one for my other bike.

4. Dying to RIDE!!!

eyesky2002

Re: Issues!

Post by eyesky2002 »

Balaclava wrote:ok...so i got my bike together, she's looking alright, few issues though...

1. Brake pedal hits my clutch cover. (should i just f'in bend the thing til it fits or was there something i'm missing?)

2. Airboot. (Ordered a 02 250 boot, anybody have any suggestions as to if this will work? i mocked it up and i can't help but rub against the shocker! is it absolutely necessary to avoid the shock?)

3. Was missing the little plastic cover that holds a bushing for the front axel, so i had to take it off my 450...fits but now i need to order one for my other bike.

4. Dying to RIDE!!!
1. Mine did too but once I sat on it I was able to adjust it down to where I wanted it and that was well below the case.

2. I think the 02 has a jacked air box, changes for 03-04. I know the 98-99 CR250 boot worked on my 03 box; PERFECT with the plate mod.

3. Had to get one myself.

Mfg Product Number: 44312-MAC-740
Description: COLLAR, R. FR. WHEEL for 2003 Honda CRF450R
Order Quantity: 1
Unit Price: $12.78
Total Cost: $12.78

4. ME TOO!!! My damn foot still hurts from starting it yesterday, but that did not stop me from starting it up today! Did not take long to remember you dont kick these things; you jump and ride the kick starter down :P

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

2. I think the 02 has a jacked air box, changes for 03-04. I know the 98-99 CR250 boot worked on my 03 box; PERFECT with the plate mod.
By 'Jacked' do you mean bigger? All i know is i'm going to try this 02 boot with the same sort of style you did...probably aluminum sheet cutout like that...i should be able to tell whether or not it works tomorrow...didn't check tonight.

But is it a big deal if the boot rubs up against the shock? Did you have to heat and push it out until it didn't touch? because i can't really see the shock wearing the boot out or anything...
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

I know when buying Twin Filters, for the 02 you need an adapter kit to swap out the stock filter; where as the 03-04 only require the filter and filter cage. Only place I applied heat was to the outside edge where it hit on the frame, cleared the shock great on its own.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

adapter kit?

SHIT! ...

that reminds me that i don't even have a filter cage! guess my bike isn't going to run until next weekend...i'm choked...

i tried the 02 cr 250 boot and no such luck...it's wayyy off from the airbox...did you ever try using a newer style boot with the same results? anyways i put a new order out for a 99 boot...hope it gets here early next week...
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

I think that is just for the twin air set up, looking at the fiche the boxes look the same, only the filters themselves look different.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Twin Air huh?

see this thread.......http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=989
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

all i've ever used is twin air...i don't even know if my local honda store stocks UNI filters...i should ask about that cause i do NOT want THAT^^^ to happen to me...

even though i don't have a cage for the filter it looks like a straight forward box similar to my 06...just screw in the filter and go...we'll see i guess...
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

stock or uni, kerosene, and bel-ray filter oil.
I've never had a problem.

Some things aren't worth screwing with.
03 CRF450/85 500
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

nmdesertrider wrote:stock or uni, kerosene, and bel-ray filter oil.
I've never had a problem.

Some things aren't worth screwing with.
x2
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

i'll take your advise and go with that... :cool:
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Still stuck on the air box?? I tell you man, the way I did mine was simple and cheap. You will be pissed at yourself once you do it because of how easy it was on how much you procrastinated with it.

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF