02' CRF 450 Conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

Balaclava wrote:^^^Shitttty...

ya that all makes sense...this frame is going to be perfect...i'm used to my 06 450 so it might be a bit of a control adjustment...we'll see...going to the welder this week for REAL!...
The chassis is definitely slower reacting than your 2006.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

mega491 wrote:A steering damper helped high speed stability on my gen III 250.

I found 6061 T6 1" square tubing at my local True Value hardware store here in Portland, Oregon.
WOW lucky find!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dannygraves wrote:
mega491 wrote:
I found 6061 T6 1" square tubing at my local True Value hardware store here in Portland, Oregon.
WOW lucky find!
No way is it .125" wall, radiused corner material...
mega491

Post by mega491 »

.125 wall but square edged. I only needed two 1" pieces. I posted pics at the "Head Stay Alternative" a few posts down. It wouldn't take that much work to radius the square edges with an orbital sander with 80 grit down to 180 grit though. You could even roll the edges off by hand with a file rather easily.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Let me know what you need.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

The gen 3 450 is rectangular, not square. I used a solid piece and I am pretty satisfied with how it came out, you can check it out in the nmdesertrider build thread.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

if the stuff I used will work, I can send you a 3" scrap peice in an envelope :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

^^^^holy shit that's beauty!! i love the support, i am going to call this local shop tomorrow morning dannygraves and if i can't find what i'm looking for i'll pm you asap...it's supposed to rain tomorrow so i will probably have time to look around and hopefully find the stuff i need.
do the 20mm offsets do what people say they do? i love my 06' if i could get the 02 to control like that bike stock it'd be so ridiculous with a 500 in it...
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

Balaclava wrote:^^^^holy shit that's beauty!! i love the support, i am going to call this local shop tomorrow morning dannygraves and if i can't find what i'm looking for i'll pm you asap...it's supposed to rain tomorrow so i will probably have time to look around and hopefully find the stuff i need.
do the 20mm offsets do what people say they do? i love my 06' if i could get the 02 to control like that bike stock it'd be so ridiculous with a 500 in it...
The CRf Gen 3 is different, the bike was designed as a outdoor higher speed bike you have to remember Honda had the GEN 3 250 CR for super X at that time.

It does not need a dampner. Honda is now putting a dampner on the CRF 450 and admitting the gen 4 CRF has issues with front end stability. The 20 MM clamps plus getting the motor lower in the chasses will make the bike track truer than practically any modern style moto x bike, they seem to be mandatory on a GEN 3 450 but ?able on a Gen 4 450. I do not like the 20mm at all on a GEN 4 but I ride sand.

The bike is slower reacting to input and does not lean in a turn as well as your 2006 or steer as sharp but in high speed where you need to be moving in a foward direction and not getting deflected off course or front end stability in sand it is superior to your 06 or should be.

The 05 CRF and later are supposed to go straighter in the whoops than either the GEN 3 CR 250 or the 2002-2004 CRF 450 but I have not ridden mine enough to confirm.

The 2002 had a slightly different lenghth pull rods on the shock that was supposed to not steer as well as the 03 and later but that pull rod will make it go better in the whoops. It is all tradeoffs!

I had problems with my 2005 CRF conversion tracking in sand,I did not give the bike a chance and work with it and have not ridden it in 3 years. Only rode it once and was so tired of what FLA has to offer for off roading I decided to take a break. The riding here really sucks compared to some other places.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

i appreciate all the help and offers on hooking me up with tubing but i actually found some here at a sheet metal place in winnipeg...so i'm bringin her to the welder as soon as i grab that tubing....thanks alot again...
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

alright...although the frame is a rectangle my welder is still going to go with the 1'' square shit...says it will do the job nicely...and better then aluminum bar would...tomorrow it should be 100% mounted and welded...(engine)

I have an exhaust question...has anyone ever managed to mount their 500 exhaust bracket onto that little hole in the 450 frame which i believe holds that plastic engine cover piece? becaaaause it almost looks like at this point that might work with the help of a spacer...

i'm getting little bits done here and there...but this is the first decent step...pictures will be soon enough...
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

The welder did a pretty good job...i'm not really looking for a super beautiful weld job because the gnarly i bought basically covers everything anyways...those welds will all be smoothed out eventually, just got it back and haven't had a chance to clean it or polish it...

He went with the 1'' square tubing for the extensions, and i'm glad he did, when it is smoothed out it will look nice...
Does anybody think that cr 250 Rads are easier to mod onto this frame? the 450 rads i have are banged up and i need to figure out that mod, the exhaust mod, the airbox, the headstay and the Fukkkin Gas tank!!! for some reason even after i notched out the frame for both lower clutch cover bolts my tank still just barely rubs against the plug! Any help would be huuuuuge! i can't wait to fuckin ride this thing...i smashed my 450 up bad so i can't wait to have this done...

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The motor mount tabs look a little suspect. I hope they dont crack on you...

As far as the plug, you are using the "Shortie" ...correct?

Looks pretty good, otherwise...
Gix

Post by Gix »

Balaclava wrote: I have an exhaust question...has anyone ever managed to mount their 500 exhaust bracket onto that little hole in the 450 frame which i believe holds that plastic engine cover piece? becaaaause it almost looks like at this point that might work with the help of a spacer...

I was gonna make a spacer up to use that hole but instead decided tp just drill the frame and put another nutsert in there about 30mm down from the one you mention
britincali

Post by britincali »

This looks horrible, is it even straight?????

Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Dude, My alignment is perfect at the swingarm...this engine sort of sits to the right side of the frame even with a straight sprocket...I can't be sure but i think my frame might be bent a little bit...not too sure though...it doesn't look so pretty right now, but i'm not here to win a fuckin cr500 modeling contest. i will smooth down the welds and it will be a presentable and very rideable bike...the mounts are made out of basic aluminum plates...if this shit fuckin cracks then buddy welder is going to have his work cut out for him, that's that...i can't weld this shit, and this guy comes very highly recommended...so what's it to me if he has to fix his work? believe me man, i just care about riding...and yes it is straight and everything seems to be nice and tight...believe me it will work very well...i always appreciate knowledge and if you guys wish to continue helping me out i'd be pumped...thanks alot hoons...
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

AlisoBob wrote:The motor mount tabs look a little suspect. I hope they dont crack on you...

As far as the plug, you are using the "Shortie" ...correct?

Looks pretty good, otherwise...
um no i wasn't...how much smaller is the shorty compares to regular?
britincali

Post by britincali »

Im talking about the filler piece on top ot the Y, it dont look straight....

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

ya i guess it don't look straight to me neither...but the exhaust clears and everything fits tight...we'll have to see how she goes...but these welds are very strong and i don't think i will have any problems, or like i said it's all going back on the welder...
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

FRANKENBIKE !!!

"Skiddy"
I'd rather be riding right now!!!

1982 CBX six, 04 XB12S Lightning, 91 XR100R, 03 Yosh DRZ450S, 74 DT250A, 80 CR125R, 79 Husky CR390, 02 RM250, 07 LTZ90, 75 914 2.0, 08 Tundra5.74x4
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Balaclava wrote:
um no i wasn't...how much smaller is the shorty compares to regular?
Brit, toss up a photos with the two styles of plug, side by side.
britincali

Post by britincali »

AlisoBob wrote: Brit, toss up a photos with the two styles of plug, side by side.

I dobnt have it and can't remember who originally posted it :(, I can take some new ones tonight tho :D

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Photo provided by Danny Graves..

Shorty is an NGK BR8ECM

:wink:
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

AlisoBob wrote:
Shorty is an NGK BR8ECM

Thanks alot bob, i would never have known that there was even a shorter plug...i asked my guy at honda about a shorty and he didn't even know...and he rides a 500...thanks again...
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80