Have you guys seen this?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
britincali

Post by britincali »

The motor will vibrate so bad he wont be able to hold onto the bars wayyyy before it falls out and causes an accident.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
britincali

Post by britincali »

~Trever wrote:thats a bummer was he a member here? the other board?

It all happened before this board was born, he was on cr500riders as supermotospike.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
britincali

Post by britincali »

AlisoBob wrote:
I sleep well at night..... others like Clipity cant, or at least they shouldnt.

Wasnt he running a carb from clipity?

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Yup, an ol' Clipity was right there, cheering him on to his date with destiny.

If I remember correctly, the fuel tank was crushing down on the top of the carb, folding the cable over where it exits the nut. It was clearly visable during the build.

The exact details of the crash were never made clear.

If the throttle hung WFO, starting the chain reaction of the crash.. I wouldnt be surprized.

Clip should have sent flowers to the funeral.
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

I thought all that really went down on Larry's site....no? That was sad...Bob wasn't the only hoon telling him that it wasn't a good idea. Honestly though....while he was a big kid, he was still a kid, and inexperience as a rider probably had as much or more to do with the crash than simple shade-tree mechanics. I think the term is "object fixation" where you inevitably hit the thing you should avoid because you cannot bring yourself to look past it...kind of like a marriage. LOL

RIP Spike.
CR500AC widget maker
chachi243

Post by chachi243 »

ShanMan wrote:where you inevitably hit the thing you should avoid because you cannot bring yourself to look past it...kind of like a marriage. LOL

RIP Spike.
That is some funny sheeott right thur......
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

its sad really. I saw his whole build post a couple years ago... definitly some nigyvering to make that motor fit!
....RIP HOON :?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

I can't believe they let him post that there.... they kicked me out for not having a "rideable" 500 when I joined.
With all the purist Honda CR fanatics over there, no one has stepped up and posted a "It looks like shit" comment, or "That's a waste of a good engine...it's a fucking Suzook frame for God's sake".
It'd at least be worthy of a Yamaha engine.
Aluminum frame, steel cradle....not a good combo. It looks like the strongest engine mount will be the kicker support. I enjoy seeing unique shit that wack-o people can come up with, but at least it needs to be in good taste. I hope, for his sake, it works.

So....Spike put a 500 into a moped????????
2nd gen SSS street hooligan
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

with the popularity of that site, i can agree with the rule of having a rideable 500. could you imagine how big of a cluster fuck that place would be if they had 1000 flatbillers asking how to do a kx125 topend :lmao:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I remember following the Spike tragedy and contributing to the debate on VisorDown many moons ago (and before the inevitable demise of VisorDown when it was sold out). In fairness, Spike got a lot of good advise about how dangerous his build was becoming. Sadly he went right ahead anyway and the thread became his obituary...

A salutary point for anyone who is out of their depth when it comes to building a home grown machine with such a ferocious engine.

Screwd.
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

So was it a moped or a full size bike????
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
MICK

Post by MICK »

If at first you don't succeed...then skydiving wasn't for you.

Alot of things obviously led to his untimely death. A cracked frame however did not. So apparently he was traveling too fast for a corner, couldn't cut a line tight enough and wrapped himself around a tree. A stuck throttle? Possibly. A cracked engine cradle causing him to "loose control"? Are you serious?

Motorcycle crashes are the #1 cause of fatatilites in the US military. Statistics show that if I put street rubber on my CR500AF, my chances of being killed spike 60%. Unfortunately there is no substitute for experience or common sense. And because of this, stupid doesn't just hurt...it kills. Spike would have killed himself on anything.

Structural failure can easily cause disaster. But in the case of motorcycles, I see mechanical failures like these often leave a rider stranded beside the road or trail...not cartwheeling 70mph into a tree or telephone pole.
Last edited by MICK on February 21st, 2009, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

Well said.
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Wheelie-Gene wrote:So was it a moped or a full size bike????
I can't remember exactly what what make/model it was, but it was a small framed bike, similar to the YSRs and NSRs, I think it originally came with a 50cc 5spd w/ clutch setup just like the YSR and NSR. The crazy thing is talking to people who have put an at-1 125 or yz80 motor in a ysr and scared the crap out of themselves. Marshall had a ysr w/ a yz80 motor in it and MFDB took that thing on the freeway doing 90mph in 5th gear wheelies on little 12" wheels. now imagine a cr500 motor :shock: it was a tragedy waiting to happen.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

That's truly insane....That'd be like strapping a Cessna 150 to the space shuttle boosters..

If I was there (in person) during the begenning stages of the build, I would have talked him out of it.
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yup :?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

dannygraves wrote:Marshall had a ysr w/ a yz80 motor in it and MFDB took that thing on the freeway doing 90mph in 5th gear wheelies on little 12" wheels. now imagine a cr500 motor :shock: it was a tragedy waiting to happen.
hahaha aweeesome...i would have loved to see mfdb rip it up on that thing... :lol:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I had a sweet YSR and lined up a local dt-1 250 full running motor. would have been a direct bolt-in w/ matching electronics, but I decided instead to sell the whole thing, I would have been too tempted to do crazy stuff on it and kill myself :?
if you ever come across a ysr for cheap, '79-'81 yz80 motors drop right in and all old at-1, ct-1 and dt-1 motors bolt right into the cradle and require slight mods like a 520 chain conversion and wiring stuff. those things are fun as hell, even on the stock motor I'd get mine up to 48mph in the neighborhood, which on something that size knee dragging around the corners was pretty crazy :shock:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i seen 2 of them little bikes your talking about at the local dump. 1 was mostly complete with engine, the other one was just the frame with wheels
Wheelie-Gene

Post by Wheelie-Gene »

I used to work in a Yamaha shop. There was some sort of 50cc moped that was traded in, the piston was trashed. The boss told me to get it running and clean it up as cheap as possible.
I scrounged around in the used parts shed and found an 80cc 3 wheeler. The jug and piston was a direct bolt on.....which was fun as hell on the first test ride I took.

Needless to say, the first customer that test rode it fell in love w/the little jewel.
Looking back now that ordeal could have been detremental if anything happened and the vehicle was looked at as "modified".

One of my best friends had the worst crash of his life on a YZ80. Seems like the small machines are the ones that kick our large asses the worst.
83 CR480
83 XL600
97 VFR750
Kawasaki H1-F
Suzuki Titan
HondaHarley
83 CB1100F
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Wheelie-Gene wrote:One of my best friends had the worst crash of his life on a YZ80. Seems like the small machines are the ones that kick our large asses the worst.
My cr80 is so fast...i've gone over the bars on it numerous times because of how small it is...my worst crash however is still on a 500 :lol:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

my cousin still has an old yz80 and I used to get my ass kicked on that thing :shock: one time I was cruising along on a trail when my toe hit a rock and pulled me clean off the bike :lol: good times :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

dannygraves wrote:my cousin still has an old yz80 and I used to get my ass kicked on that thing :shock: one time I was cruising along on a trail when my toe hit a rock and pulled me clean off the bike :lol: good times :lol:
And you never broke your toe!??
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

not THAT time :lol: the funny thing is I was wearing doc martens too :lol: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

I don't like riding in shoes...

:lol: