TS Gustav

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

We lived there in 1998. I was in the foundation and pile driving bussiness so i saw first hand the levees and pump stations to keep water out. The pump stations run all the time keeping it from flooding but even when there's a heavy rain they play hell keeping up. When New Orleans was originally built, it was above sea level, but over the years it is slowly sinking. Down near the gulf they lose feet of shore line a year. At least it seems like most of the people heeded the evacuation orders this time. Every region of this country has it's own form of "katrinas" We live in the North West, we have potential Volcanos to deal with even one that went in 80. The East coast has Nor Easters and Hurricanes, Cali has Earthquakes and fire, Mid west has tornados and flooding. As people, we all live where we live and just deal with what comes because it is after all, our homes. You know?
HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

JBaze wrote:Every region of this country has it's own form of "katrinas" We live in the North West, we have potential Volcanos to deal with even one that went in 80. The East coast has Nor Easters and Hurricanes, Cali has Earthquakes and fire, Mid west has tornados and flooding. As people, we all live where we live and just deal with what comes because it is after all, our homes. You know?
Very well put. I just spoke to my mom in Cincinnati a few minutes ago about that very point. Every year there, they have tornado season, like we have hurricane season down here. Maybe we should all move to Boise, Idaho. I think that they have the least natural disasters in the country. :wink:

Danny, I agree, to move there after Katrina would take some questionable logic. If it's home, it's hard to say just leave but, like you did, I would. I would have taken surviving Katrina as a blessing from God, a second chance and would have left.

What frustrates me though isn't any of that, it's the lack of compassion. If it was one of our loved ones bobbing up and down dead in the water, I doubt that we would see any of this as humerous.
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

It was just a funny picture to me. I even prefaced it with a disclaimer recognizing that there are a few board members in the area. Lack of compassion? You don't know me. I can't live my life being worried about offending someone. I am who I am. It doesn't matter what you say, someone in some situation can always find offense. Obviously, this is a touchy subject for you. I'm sorry you took offense. I'm not sorry I posted it.

Peace.

P.S. May the storm leave you and your loved ones intact.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

just move to nevada.. all you ahve to worry about is heat stroke :P
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

The storm was nothing like Katrina nor Rita. Yeah there was some damage, power was out (mostly where power goes out every time an alligator farts), and some flooding in SE Louisiana. The Texas coast was spared; we didn't even get any rain over here in Galveston. All I know is I'm going to buy 3 train cars, load them up with bottled water, plywood, and generators, and have a sale the next time one comes this way. I walked out my front door Sunday morning and saw several neighbors had plywood up over their windows; just shook my head. Had one neighbor call up and ask if I needed help putting up my plywood. I told him as far as hurricanes go, unless it's a strong cat 4 going on cat 5 and headed directly for us, I'm not wasting my time. Sorta like the old joke, I'm a bomb technician; if you see me running try to keep up. Otherwise, there's nothing to worry about.

The news media ought to be beat with a stick due to the way they instill panic in everyone. If you live in a ditch, yeah, you have something to worry about. Otherwise turn off the TV and get a life.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

well, thats good news, glad to hear everyone is ok :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
BIGGDAD

Post by BIGGDAD »

Well, crap. I just found out that we are evacuating.....again. I just got back to town last Tuesday from the Gustav evac. Evacuating sucks!
"You should never drink Lone Star Beer and listen to Tim McGraw. It just don't work. It'll curdle. "
Dale Watson
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Just send Mother Nature the bill!! LOL I just messing with you. When we lived in Louisiana, we had to fly the coop a couple of times, pain in the ass.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

BIGGDAD wrote:Well, crap. I just found out that we are evacuating.....again. I just got back to town last Tuesday from the Gustav evac. Evacuating sucks!
suckfest dude! sorry to hear!
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

It's not even past Cuba yet and even if it does come this way, it won't be here until the later in the weekend at the earliest. Turn down the TV and just watch the radar. Those weather people have to be getting kickback from the stores and hotels. Damn, I didn't have time to buy up my train cars of water, plywood, and generators to sell to all of the folks panicked by the weather people. Image
BIGGDAD

Post by BIGGDAD »

jbird_710 wrote:It's not even past Cuba yet and even if it does come this way, it won't be here until the later in the weekend at the earliest. Turn down the TV and just watch the radar. Those weather people have to be getting kickback from the stores and hotels. Damn, I didn't have time to buy up my train cars of water, plywood, and generators to sell to all of the folks panicked by the weather people. Image
I ain't one to panic because of a storm in the Gulf. I've lived on the coast most of my life. The problem is the local municipalities keep calling MANDATORY evacs. So, work shuts down. I guess it's life's way of telling me I need a vacation. :lol:
"You should never drink Lone Star Beer and listen to Tim McGraw. It just don't work. It'll curdle. "
Dale Watson
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

The Weather Channel keeps pushing it further down the coast and then they they say, "We have no idea where it's going." Will be interesting to see what happens but I'd bet it ends up down around Brownsville.
BIGGDAD

Post by BIGGDAD »

Now they're saying maybe on the evacuation. This crap is getting out of hand. Local government is so paranoid in the aftermath of Katrina and Rita. I guess they don't want to look like unprepared dumbasses like Nagan.
Dale Watson
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

The news was saying the business owners in the Florida Keys were pissed because the local government ran off all of the tourists and called for manditory evacuations. They only got 20 mph winds and a little rain. The good side of it is I don't have to travel this week becasue I've got a valid excuse. :woot:
BIGGDAD

Post by BIGGDAD »

jbird_710 wrote:The news was saying the business owners in the Florida Keys were pissed because the local government ran off all of the tourists and called for manditory evacuations. They only got 20 mph winds and a little rain. The good side of it is I don't have to travel this week becasue I've got a valid excuse. :woot:

Are you riding this weekend? I'm considering a move back to the Houston area. I got a job offer selling pipe and valves and real estate ain't the best right now.
Dale Watson
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

Howdy Dale,
I don't think we are going to have much chance this weekend if that damn storm turns north on us. I figure we'll know something late tomorrow. But there 's always next weekend. I haven't had much opportunity to ride for the last couple of months mostly due to travel for work and I'm gettin' real itchy.

I just bought another house as an investment property since the interest rates are so low and I got a great deal on it. Got it for $30k under the appraised value and have a renter lined up that will cover the mortgage note plus enough to pay the insurance and pay the utilities if I can ever get him to commit on moving in (breaking up with girlfriend). Worst case if he doesn't move in, I'm going to put a pool table in it and use it for storage until the market comes back. I figure I can always get my money back. If you're interested in living down south, there are several homes in my neighborhood up for sale. It's an older neighborhood with houses built around 1970 and fairly quite to be so close to Houston. Plus, this is Galveston County; cheaper taxes and insurance. Most prices are around $110k or less for 3 br/ 2 bath/ 2 car garage.

Jay
Last edited by jbird_710 on September 10th, 2008, 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

HrcRacing wrote:
JBaze wrote:If it's home, it's hard to say just leave
well....when your house gets flushed out to sea, you arent exactly going back to the same home you once had.
it will all be different, so may as well not be stupid and go have a new life in a slightly safer location, like, say, the tip-top of Mt. St. Helens.........
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

NightBiker07 wrote:
HrcRacing wrote:
JBaze wrote:If it's home, it's hard to say just leave
well....when your house gets flushed out to sea, you arent exactly going back to the same home you once had.
it will all be different, so may as well not be stupid and go have a new life in a slightly safer location, like, say, the tip-top of Mt. St. Helens.........

Thats where having good insurance comes in handy, you get a brand new one! :D
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

Made it through the storm and things are close to being back to normal in the immediate area; not so good 15 miles south. The eye passed right over my houses (I also own the house across the street) and didn't loose a shingle on either one. Lost wood fence on one side of one house and all three sides of the back yard at the other due to neighbor's trees. No flooding, a lot of wind, and did loose the patio cover on the other house but expected it to go (corrugated fiberglass). Lost power from Saturday morning (5:30) to Monday night (9:00) but had the generator to keep things going. Had just bought 17 gallons of gas for the generator when the power came back on. Internet came back about 30 minutes ago. Got to go check cable; been watching the three network stations the last 5 days and all they've shown is the destruction on the coast - over and over and over ad nausea.

Galveston lost a landmark - The Balinese. Same place in the ZZ Top song; made famous back in the '30s, '40s, and '50s by the famous people who hung out there to party and gamble (even though gambling was illegal). That place survived several major hurricanes but the tidal surge reduced it along with Murdock's (famous old souvenir shop) to splinters. Even the monument for the 1900 storm that wiped out the entire island went down. The Island will be back, but it will be a while.

Not sure how Dale (BIGGDAD) did, they got hit fairly hard over where he's at.
'87 CR500R / (2) '01 CR500R / '02 MPS CR500R AF / '06 XR650R / '06 XR650L / '01 XR400R / '01 FLHTCUI / '04 CRF 450R / '84 CR500R / '89 Transalp /'05 CRF450X / '02 XR200R
Jay Birdsong

Don't you know about the Bird?
BIGGDAD

Post by BIGGDAD »

Well shit, I haven't made it home yet. Things are pretty messed up though from talking to neighbors. My downstairs had a bayou flowing through it. 3-8 feet estimated. So, downstairs is a lost. Hopefully the stuff upstairs is ok. Life is good though! I'm in Austin!!!
Dale Watson
BIGGDAD

Post by BIGGDAD »

LOCAL MOTEL

LOCAL FISH MARKET

IN FRONT OF MY COUSIN'S HOUSE. THEY GOT 4 FOOT OF WATER.

WHAT'S LEFT OF MY STUFF.

ALOT OF FUCKED UP CDs

1957 BATMAN COMICS FUCKIN' WATERLOGGED.

AFTER THE CLEAN UP. I GOT NO FUCKIN' WALLS!!! :iconmrgreen:

MY NEIGHBOR'S TVs

MY AUNT'S PLACE, THEY GOT 2 1/2 FEET OF WATER. LOST ALL THEIR FURNITURE.

VIEW FROM MY AUNT'S DRIVEWAY.

LOTS OF RUINED SHIT!!!
Dale Watson
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Damn...thoughts out to you and yours. :(
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

sorry to hear that bro that sucks
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:cry:
atleast everybody is ok... I mean it sucks, but material stuff can always be replaced (not too sure about the batman comics though) sorry dude...
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
jbird_710

Post by jbird_710 »

An old college buddy that lives in Pt. Neches said he saw pictures of a chain-link fence in Bridge City that had hundreds of dead catfish stuck in it and a friend of his had a swimming pool full of dead jellyfish.
'87 CR500R / (2) '01 CR500R / '02 MPS CR500R AF / '06 XR650R / '06 XR650L / '01 XR400R / '01 FLHTCUI / '04 CRF 450R / '84 CR500R / '89 Transalp /'05 CRF450X / '02 XR200R
Jay Birdsong

Don't you know about the Bird?