02' CRF 450 Conversion

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Gix wrote:
Balaclava wrote:
what are you doing for the headstay?
Once the bike is built it's being taken back to the fabricator who did the frame and he will make up a headstay using the 450 motor mounts on the main beam.
I used thoese using this design for the head stay, nice fit, strong and solid....

"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

LUCKY LAGER !!?? IS THAT LUCKY LAGER in the background?? IN CANS !!!! Holy crap man, I can see why you're doubting your abilities as a welder/fabricator.

NOW.....if those were BOTTLES in the background, I'd have a TON of respect for you. Why? The puzzles under the cap...only Einstein can figure those out. I stopped drinking it after I realized the more I drank...the better I got at solving them...and I was quickly becoming a drunk.

Laters,
Skidmark
I'd rather be riding right now!!!

1982 CBX six, 04 XB12S Lightning, 91 XR100R, 03 Yosh DRZ450S, 74 DT250A, 80 CR125R, 79 Husky CR390, 02 RM250, 07 LTZ90, 75 914 2.0, 08 Tundra5.74x4
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

I don't drink lucky...i used to when i was 15...those are my broke mechanics beers...usually will drink alexander keiths red, or stella...those two and thats it. I have no idea what you are talking about the puzzles under the cap of the bottles...never seen that...must be from the 80's or something.

and doubting my skills is an understatement...i'm a total rookie, but i could give a fuck less...i have the right people behind this build...and if only i could get the right parts instead of having to deal with all this wrong part shit then i'd be alot further ahead...she will be done relatively soon i guarantee it.

and actually what i've found is the drinking part of this build is about 70% of the work...
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

I am about as bad as the come, and my bike is getting welded as we speak. It isn't that hard, as long as you devote a few hours a week it will get done.

No fancy equipment needed.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

ya...my latest set back was waiting for my swingarm bearings,ashers and bushings, and then realising i forgot that really skinny outter bearing for the swingarm...4 more washers and 2 more bearings...little stupid things are really setting me back...welding should be coming soon, hopefully 2 weeks away...

nmdesertrider, pretty cool how people are trying the 450's on this site lately...hope your welding goes good as fuck.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

ok might be a stupid question but i'm in need of knowledge here...

for some reason the two last washers of the swingarm setup on my 02 frame, are tight as all hell...so tight that i can't get them in place...the inner ones between the bushings and frame...i had everything lined up and then the engine was too snug...are these washers just too thick? should i grind them thinner? or do i omit these washers completely from the setup? just wondering if anyone else has had this problem...
97af

Post by 97af »

The outer washers cannot be omitted.They are sealed to keep all the good stuff from entering the caged swingarm bearings.I'm betting you need to take a few thousandths (more or less) off the swing arm bushings themselves to give you some more room to get the outer washers in.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Yup.....
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

i guess grinding the bushings would be better then grinding the washers...thanks alot 97af
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

Balaclava wrote:i guess grinding the bushings would be better then grinding the washers...thanks alot 97af
The bike is not that hard to do. I had one made and my welder had it ready in 4 days.. You need to raise the Y 3 inches shift the motor mounts and use the combo of spacers from you CRf and CR 500 to shim motor at base + I used 1 washer.

1 make sure you shim motor out an extra 1/8 to a 1/4 inch on drive side because chain will chew frame when it loosens

2 the air box mode is easy, but do that last.

3. lower the engine to where you have got to cut frame a touch on clutch side where the case contacts the frame. This will allow you to not have to modify tank for plug.

With a good welder the bikes are easy to build. The bike has somethings that are better than any other conversion so before you get into it make sure it is what you want. I like this conversion but I am 6'4 and ride sand and that is where the bike shines.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

I did the cr125 bushing trick with my 04 crf450 and everything lined up perfectly
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

I'm 6'4'' also, 195lbs. I've read the 02 crf frame is one of the more rigid and possibly the best for big guys...i'm happy with the route i'm going...

And desertrider, did your engine just barely fit in with those bushings? cause i'm like a britincali hair too tight to fit my one last washer...

i've been a bit busy at work, haven't had much time to look at it...she'll be ready for welding this week...
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

Balaclava wrote:I'm 6'4'' also, 195lbs. I've read the 02 crf frame is one of the more rigid and possibly the best for big guys...i'm happy with the route i'm going...

And desertrider, did your engine just barely fit in with those bushings? cause i'm like a britincali hair too tight to fit my one last washer...

i've been a bit busy at work, haven't had much time to look at it...she'll be ready for welding this week...
That bike is perfect for what you are doing and getting the back case of the motor set is no problem you will figure it out.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

if you are off by just a c-hair I would try spreading it a bit with a car jack. I've used this technique myself a couple of different ways for my conversion.
Just take your time and it should work out.
I'm 6'5" too thats why I went for the 'old fart' setup.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

^^^ that is a really easy idea....i'm sure that would work...damn this is bothering me how i have no time for this right now...she's getting closer and closer slowly...just need this one thing to work out and it'll be ready to weld, and ready to shit all over my 450 in no time...(by the way i've been riding my 06 450 and i think it's a monster...i love how it handles) but i can't wait to leave it at home on trips...
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

my now complete swingarm setup...shit is mint, the 125 bushings work perfect...here's a shot of the sprocket...

Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

That's nice alignment. Did you need to spread the frame open a touch with a jack in order to get the left side bushing to fit in there?
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

The only thing is on a CRF the spars are thick and if you run a oring chain check it all the time because they love to chew the frame a little. it is more of a annoyance than anything.
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

Balaclava wrote:I'm 6'4'' also, 195lbs. I've read the 02 crf frame is one of the more rigid and possibly the best for big guys...i'm happy with the route i'm going...

I think being more ridid around the head stay is a disadvantage. You will notice a CR 250 GEN 3 frame in comparison is not as tough which may be better. I did not keep mine long enough to evaluate it. I rode it a few time and felt cramped so I sold it to build a GEN 4 but a gen 4 is cramped as well. So I like the CRF GEN 3. Being comfortable on a bike if you ride offroad I think is the big key for long rides.

When Honda built the gen 4 you will notice how much smaller the upper spares are,they are trying to get the front end to flex to not transmit as much energy to the rider.

The Gen 3 250 has about 60% of the Gen 4 CRF design so when all things are considered for the average size guy and how easy a Gen 3 250 conversion is to do it is by far the overall best one!
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Ported&Polished wrote:That's nice alignment. Did you need to spread the frame open a touch with a jack in order to get the left side bushing to fit in there?
no man...i just was trying to put it together the wrong way for a while and it wasn't working...the bushings worked perfect, the swingarm is perfectly tight, and the engine pivots...so i'm super happy with the alignment and everything...
Slow old Fart wrote:I think being more ridid around the head stay is a disadvantage. You will notice a CR 250 GEN 3 frame in comparison is not as tough which may be better. I did not keep mine long enough to evaluate it. I rode it a few time and felt cramped so I sold it to build a GEN 4 but a gen 4 is cramped as well. So I like the CRF GEN 3. Being comfortable on a bike if you ride offroad I think is the big key for long rides.

When Honda built the gen 4 you will notice how much smaller the upper spares are,they are trying to get the front end to flex to not transmit as much energy to the rider.

The Gen 3 250 has about 60% of the Gen 4 CRF design so when all things are considered for the average size guy and how easy a Gen 3 250 conversion is to do it is by far the overall best one!
I'm sure the cr 250 makes the most sense conversion and ease wise...But what made the most sense to me was an 02' crf 450 Rolling chassis for 300$. i would like to see any better deal then that...the chassis even came with all plastics, the carb(mint), and white bros exhaust for my 06 450, so if i would have got a deal like this on a cr 250 i would have grabbed it but i wasn't about to go buying a complete 250 for 2500$...i love riding 450's so i'm sure this frame will be awesome...
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

If you are 6'4 for you it is the best bike and a 500 works best in open blasting riding and the CRF 450 gen 3 is superior to a CR 250 gen 3 in high speed blasting. I actually think it is the best one if you use the 500 CR motor where ir kills the competition in high speed stuff.

On a High speed outdorr track I will put that bike you are building up against anything.

I rode the Cr 250 gen 3 enough to know it turns better but is not as stable at speed so it would seem you do a 125 for tight stuff and a 450 3 for open stuff. I need to get out and ride my 2005 CRF 450 500 to see how good it is but i have lost interest in riding. FLA sucks BAD!!!!!!!!! for riding.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

^^^Shitttty...

ya that all makes sense...this frame is going to be perfect...i'm used to my 06 450 so it might be a bit of a control adjustment...we'll see...going to the welder this week for REAL!...
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

shit...turns out i need to find tubing for the extensions...forgot about that...i got a place in my city i can call and i'm going to be asking for the same stuff that bob has in the Stickied thread on Tubing...if i can't find it there does anyone know of where i can get some? i know teemtrubble says he has some in that thread...so i suppose if i don't find it here i'll be asking him...

i suppose i'd only need about a foot or foot and a half of tubing for the extensions...i'll find out tomorrow...
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

how long do your peices need to be, I have some scraps that are just a little too short for my gen-4. I will measure them in a little bit, but if they will work for you, they are yours.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
mega491

Post by mega491 »

A steering damper helped high speed stability on my gen III 250.

I found 6061 T6 1" square tubing at my local True Value hardware store here in Portland, Oregon.