Need Advice: CR500 Project - Year of Motor Choice

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
G FORCE

Post by G FORCE »

Going to go check out the '86 on Saturday! :cool: Will report back but as long as it runs decent I'll most likely pick it up.
G FORCE

Post by G FORCE »

Went and checked out the bike today and ended up purchasing it for $700. We were on our way to go out and ride anyway so I got a chance to put it through its paces.

First impression:
This thing is a beast! It's harder to kick over than my yz450f. Once started it sounds like it has a nasty cam in it once it settles to idle. I was a bit hesitant of what to expect as I hopped on. The seat is something I'm not used to and forces the nut sack on the tank (perhaps to keep the front down?). After 10 or 15 minutes riding around the immediate area and sand hill, I am not all that impressed. It has moments of tunnel vision speed and snap but then other moments are lack luster. My yz450f is faster than this.

Second impression:
I realize the damn thing is breaking traction practically the whole time and the moments of tunnel vision and impressive acceleration are the few times it hooks up! After some trail riding and thorough testing, it appears to be a nice bike! Almost as much low end as my 450, more snap, and surprisingly easy to ride and nice in the loose sand and turns. This thing is gonna scream in the 250 frame! 8)

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Your proly' over-revving it too....

Shift it as quick as you can.
G FORCE

Post by G FORCE »

That's a great point. I will most definitely have to adjust my riding style to this motor's powerband. It's a hell of a lot of fun getting squirrly through every gear at the crack of the wrist but when it's go time I gotta get that power down!