ill be the guinee pig

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I can still feel the Love
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

AlisoBob wrote:
iggys-amsoil wrote:First of all, I have never seen where 100hp has ever entered a hillclimb competition?
No Club Rides

He was at Glamis in October two years ago?
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

lewisclan wrote:I can still feel the Love

:headbang:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

i think all posts on this subject are valid opinions. although some border on sniping,so what if glen has fucked up one or two jobs. i do believe it would be a fucking excellent idea to have a dyno day. fuck it, ill even throw in $20 to help it happen.lets get some people prepared to throw in some cash. we could graph,250 ignitions,pipes,port jobs, it could be one fucking excellent day. could all be done with a few beers and opened and honest opinion., if i was there id in like flyn.

it would be the most exciting thing that ever happened on either site. i wish people could get there head around there egos/pride and admit that perhaps we should just do it?

if we get a few donations, and a few people that are prepared to drink some beers and do some wrenching, it would fucking romp arse.

if people wanna back up there purchases or products then stand up an be counted. as a forum,as a site,as a bunch, lets do this!

cos its pretty piss poor if we walk away from it now.

stuz is chuckin in $20 to see this shit happen, who else?
Last edited by thestuz on December 28th, 2009, 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

I'm planning to run my motor on a dyno if I can find one in the area. I'd be in for a dyno day if my 500 was in a bike, had more than 4th gear in the trans, and was closer than 1,800 miles away.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

ill throw in some cash

i think brit might be the best candidate. brit you got a noleen on one of your bikes and fmf on the other bike ? maybe lewisclan would let you borrow his gss pipe so you could test all 3 pipes. brit we got you covered on the shop fees to run the pipe test. DO IT man :lol:
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Stuz, I don't know you but you should not make statements you or anyone can back up,all you have herd are words.We have little or no come backs on our work,The things you have seen and herd we're mostly problems due to not checking the clearence before assembling the engines. These guys are good people but as I said they are only words .Now to get to what you are asking about Dyno testing The average Dyno shop Charges $300.00 a hr . to do good Dyno testing an average test runs $65.00 Per. Runup.Now in my case I build 7 different pipes,and 2 Different Trail port engines.1 Race engine,2 Hillclimb port job engines,1Drag race engine.We're talking about may'be $1000.00 to $1500.00 to do testing on these engines and different combinations on a chasis DYNO. and in a bike frame and changing different parts.The Dyno I have in my shop is a water brake engine Dyno for testing my porting it runs off the end of the crankshaft.I test usually about every 10 port jobs to see if my flow work is up to my standards ,I do it for my on use.The readings are a print out sheet with numbers not a graph. We test at 3000 RPM ,at 4500 RPM an6500RPM Now these readings would be of very little interest to you , But to let you know a little bit so you can have more to talk about at 3000 RPM my TRAIL port engine makes about 36 HP at 4500 RPM it makes about 47 HP and at 6500 RPM it makes Between 65 and 70Hp which as I said means nothing to you because of the change in the power band. now there you have it ,but bear in mind we do make engines that will Rev. as high as 8000RPM so as you see the power rises as the RPMs increase . Thanks for listen to and old engine builder that has built 5 worlds champion engines.Glen (TEAM GSS) LIFE MEMBER AMA AMA HALL OF FAMER.Board Member at MMI .
gas is for washing parts, alcohol is for drinking,nitro is for racing
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Wow, feel like I am a reading the script from a soap opera!!! Image
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

hmmm,
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

glen howell wrote:Stuz, I don't know you but you should not make statements you or anyone can back up,all you have herd are words.We have little or no come backs on our work,The things you have seen and herd we're mostly problems due to not checking the clearence before assembling the engines. These guys are good people but as I said they are only words .Now to get to what you are asking about Dyno testing The average Dyno shop Charges $300.00 a hr . to do good Dyno testing an average test runs $65.00 Per. Runup.Now in my case I build 7 different pipes,and 2 Different Trail port engines.1 Race engine,2 Hillclimb port job engines,1Drag race engine.We're talking about may'be $1000.00 to $1500.00 to do testing on these engines and different combinations on a chasis DYNO. and in a bike frame and changing different parts.The Dyno I have in my shop is a water brake engine Dyno for testing my porting it runs off the end of the crankshaft.I test usually about every 10 port jobs to see if my flow work is up to my standards ,I do it for my on use.The readings are a print out sheet with numbers not a graph. We test at 3000 RPM ,at 4500 RPM an6500RPM Now these readings would be of very little interest to you , But to let you know a little bit so you can have more to talk about at 3000 RPM my TRAIL port engine makes about 36 HP at 4500 RPM it makes about 47 HP and at 6500 RPM it makes Between 65 and 70Hp which as I said means nothing to you because of the change in the power band. now there you have it ,but bear in mind we do make engines that will Rev. as high as 8000RPM so as you see the power rises as the RPMs increase . Thanks for listen to and old engine builder that has built 5 worlds champion engines.Glen (TEAM GSS) LIFE MEMBER AMA AMA HALL OF FAMER.Board Member at MMI .
hi glen, if thats the cheapest dyno going then that pretty much sinks this ship dead in the water. i personally dont have any experience with your work, just from what ive heard. most say its awesome, very few have complained,im not even gonna get into that. but what i would like to know(as a consumer) is how your products compare to others, and how different products (ignitions/reeds etc) work when added together

over here, dynos go for 60/hour.i was thinking 1 standard engine with all the pipes and maybe try it with a different ignition? and with a few hands on deck it wouldn take long to change pipes,ignitions over while the bike is still rigged up(although the pipes will need to be cooled).i was thinking it would take maybe 3 hours to just test the three main pipes(std,pc,fmf) with the different ignitions.
unfortunatly, with just me here in adelaide, its not gonna be able to happen. im sure if someone over there can find a cheaper dyno, there would be plenty of people willing to put in time and maybe contribute and it would have to be one of the most interesting topics this forum has done.
would you be prepared to put a bike up for a run? im pretty sure most blokes on this site would be itching to see all the results. even if you just rocked up with a bike,changed the wheel over and gave it a run. just figured you were keen to meet 100hp for a hill climb so you might of just had a quick dyno pull instead.
Last edited by thestuz on December 28th, 2009, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Ive said this a million times but here it is again....

Dynos are great for tuning under WOT load PERIOD, the numbers a dyno spits out can be manipulated so many different ways its unreal, shit every different dyno manufacturer will kick out diff numbers.

On a mustang dyno my truck pulled 380 rwhp, a month later on a dyno jet dyno it pulled 415rwhp, nothing was changed on the truck and it ran and felt the exact same. It just proved to me that the numbers are to be used as a guide.

They are a tuning tool.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

i noticed you had a water brake dyno that runs off the crank? and uses numbers instead of graphs that would be no good for this test. one that runs off the rear wheel with graphs is what im talking about.would be easier and quicker.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

britincali wrote:Ive said this a million times but here it is again....

Dynos are great for tuning under WOT load PERIOD, the numbers a dyno spits out can be manipulated so many different ways its unreal, shit every different dyno manufacturer will kick out diff numbers.

On a mustang dyno my truck pulled 380 rwhp, a month later on a dyno jet dyno it pulled 415rwhp, nothing was changed on the truck and it ran and felt the exact same. It just proved to me that the numbers are to be used as a guide.

They are a tuning tool.

but using the same dyno with different setups is accurate in that it can show the changes correct?

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

couple years ago i talked to jerry about using his dyno, im certain he said $70/hour, he may be $75/hour now due to inflation, it definatly wasnt $65/per pull....... not sure where glen is coming up with $300/hour but whateva.

brit you would be testing all 3 pipes on the same day, on the same dyno, at the same time one after the other.
britincali

Post by britincali »

thestuz wrote:

but using the same dyno with different setups is accurate in that it can show the changes correct?

Bingo.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
britincali

Post by britincali »

100hp honda wrote:couple years ago i talked to jerry about using his dyno, im certain he said $70/hour, he may be $75/hour now due to inflation, it definatly wasnt $65/per pull....... not sure where glen is coming up with $300/hour but whateva.

brit you would be testing all 3 pipes on the same day, on the same dyno, at the same time one after the other.

When Ive dyoned my truck its always been $350 for a tune and however many pulls it takes to dial it in.

IIRC they charged $100 for three pulls without tuning.

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

im not sure what the situation is with banned, i thought there were a few guys here that owned shops thet could organise cheap runs etc, but i thought with the recession your having, there would be dyno shops willing to do cheap runs anyway. figured it would be a good day to pull everyone together for a hoonfest is all.
and doing 3 pipes and a ignition aint gonna broke us all. and i know your all keen to do it.

shit, it would still cost more to go down the pub drinkin than to have a dyno day if enough people chipped in.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

glen howell wrote:Stuz, I don't know you but you should not make statements you or anyone can back up,all you have herd are words.We have little or no come backs on our work,The things you have seen and herd we're mostly problems due to not checking the clearence before assembling the engines. These guys are good people but as I said they are only words .Now to get to what you are asking about Dyno testing The average Dyno shop Charges $300.00 a hr . to do good Dyno testing an average test runs $65.00 Per. Runup.Now in my case I build 7 different pipes,and 2 Different Trail port engines.1 Race engine,2 Hillclimb port job engines,1Drag race engine.We're talking about may'be $1000.00 to $1500.00 to do testing on these engines and different combinations on a chasis DYNO. and in a bike frame and changing different parts.The Dyno I have in my shop is a water brake engine Dyno for testing my porting it runs off the end of the crankshaft.I test usually about every 10 port jobs to see if my flow work is up to my standards ,I do it for my on use.The readings are a print out sheet with numbers not a graph. We test at 3000 RPM ,at 4500 RPM an6500RPM Now these readings would be of very little interest to you , But to let you know a little bit so you can have more to talk about at 3000 RPM my TRAIL port engine makes about 36 HP at 4500 RPM it makes about 47 HP and at 6500 RPM it makes Between 65 and 70Hp which as I said means nothing to you because of the change in the power band. now there you have it ,but bear in mind we do make engines that will Rev. as high as 8000RPM so as you see the power rises as the RPMs increase . Thanks for listen to and old engine builder that has built 5 worlds champion engines.Glen (TEAM GSS) LIFE MEMBER AMA AMA HALL OF FAMER.Board Member at MMI .

whats the difference between your race engine and drag race engine ? do they use the same head dimensions ?
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

NO the exhaust is 210 with the bridge taken completly out, the head clearence is 40 there is 4 more ports than the race engine I install larger head studs, I weld up the transfers and open them up to 180then I have a pipe that is so big it just barley misses the front wheel with the first defuser and it has a 10 ' diameter center chamber with a 18 '' 1' stinger going into the muffler that I make for the big pipe It will turn over 8000 RPM But very little bottom end a little mid range , Most definatly not for the faint or weak heart people,It runs at the dirt drags 1/8 mile 6:26 94 MPH.With it all you do is bring it up to around 5000 RPM dump the clutch and start shifting gears, Very few people won't a set up like this because it's only good for one thing. I will take some pictures later .glen
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Ive got 1 of your world champ bikes sitting in my garage :cool:
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Jay is this the one you have ? Robie sure liked that one.

Image[/img]
glen howell

Post by glen howell »

Here it is in action in the very capable hands of Robie,0-700 #1 Rider in 2002.It 's got to be good to have a bike with that history.

Image[/img]
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

thestuz wrote:
hi glen, if thats the cheapest dyno going then that pretty much sinks this ship dead in the water. i personally dont have any experience with your work, just from what ive heard. most say its awesome, very few have complained,im not even gonna get into that. but what i would like to know(as a consumer) is how your products compare to others, and how different products (ignitions/reeds etc) work when added together

over here, dynos go for 60/hour.i was thinking 1 standard engine with all the pipes and maybe try it with a different ignition? and with a few hands on deck it wouldn take long to change pipes,ignitions over while the bike is still rigged up(although the pipes will need to be cooled).i was thinking it would take maybe 3 hours to just test the three main pipes(std,pc,fmf) with the different ignitions.
unfortunatly, with just me here in adelaide, its not gonna be able to happen. im sure if someone over there can find a cheaper dyno, there would be plenty of people willing to put in time and maybe contribute and it would have to be one of the most interesting topics this forum has done.
would you be prepared to put a bike up for a run? im pretty sure most blokes on this site would be itching to see all the results. even if you just rocked up with a bike,changed the wheel over and gave it a run. just figured you were keen to meet 100hp for a hill climb so you might of just had a quick dyno pull instead.
I am so interested in this that i will throw in 100$ to the cause and make myself, parts and bike available. I think we should talk to a shop in SOCAL as i believe that maybe our best bet to get a bunch on hoons together.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

yep I have that one and the one you built for McGrath that I got from Robbie
powermizer

Post by powermizer »

Hey Glen its good to see you havn't given up on us. I will always value your opinion. thanks
lots of power is never enough