03 450 conversion finished

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
nmdesertrider

03 450 conversion finished

Post by nmdesertrider »

I was surprised at the differences between the 03 and 04 frames- the 03 seems roomier than the 04 and the conversion is easier.

I did a couple things different- I put the y much lower this time- it just clears the pipe. The y fits on the drop piece with very little grinding and lined up nice and square- plus you don't have to worry about clearing the radiators. I have a hunch that this is the way to go with the gen 4 frames too.

You can just trim the drop piece so the top of the Y touches the weld on the lower radiator bracket.

I switched the head stay to a gen3 two stroke style mount- I welded a block to the frame and used 125 brackets.

Shans front motor mounts are really well made, but I had a hard time getting the right bolt for the front to fit so I fabbed together a piece with regular thickness that would allow the stock bolt.

Started her up tonight and the bike vibrates much less than my 04- will be riding it tomorrow.
03 CRF450/85 500