Wifeys Tahoe....

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Wifeys Tahoe....

Post by AlisoBob »

Well, it had to happen sometime, the wifes Tahoe needs brakes! She's smart enough to know the sound the "squeekers" make.

It has 156,600 miles.... bought it new in 1999. Bought front and rear pads in 2005, just to have em around for when I needed them... didnt think it was going to be 6 years later. Also didnt think the rears would go before the fronts. Those look like they have another 20k or so on them so I left them on!!

I drive it sometimes, pulled trailers and toyhaulers with it, and Aliso Viejo is all hills.... Its amazing!!

Ive seen so called "Life-Time" pads tear the shit out of the rotors, these rotors look brand new!! No lip, nothing.

OEM pads are $200 axle, $400 for a whole set may sound expensive, but not at the wear rate they give.

I used to manage a pretty big construction fleet, the guy I replaced had a huge inventory of Raybestos " Pro Stop Plus" pads, and a shit load of chinese rotors. Fist thing I did as the new manager was return that shit, and stock up on OEM pads and rotors. The owner had a shit!!! ( $$$$$) I explained he's spending more than he thinks and he is buying junk... give it a year and we'll see where his costs really are. This is a construction company mind you.... over 100 3/4 ton pickups.

Once the OEM brakes went on, warped rotors and 30k mile brake jobs disappeared. Didnt go 150k +miles life wifeys Tahoe, but a big improvement. Overall, costs were way down.

Honda CR500 parts, or Chevy OEM stuff.... it costs more, because its better.

I hear the term "Stealership" all the time........ Whatever....

:roll:
britincali

Post by britincali »

I run either OEM or hawk pads on my stuff with no issues. Im rough on brakes and have gone through 3 sets of fronts and 2 rears on the truck in 45000 miles, the slotted and drilled rotors dont exactly help durability tho.

The infinity has 50k on the clock and the wheels have never been off....

You are 100% on the money with the cheapie rotors tho, OEM is the only way to roll period. The cheapies use crap iron, smaller cooling fins and are not bonded as well as the stockers, thats why they warp so easily.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
BIGGDAD

Post by BIGGDAD »

I have 161k on my Mustang GT. It's time to replace the pads for the first time. I've got about 10% wear left on front and rear. That shit is pretty amazing.
"You should never drink Lone Star Beer and listen to Tim McGraw. It just don't work. It'll curdle. "
Dale Watson
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

Nowadays, many OEM rotors are made out of questionable materials. its hit and miss with the brand/model. some last forever, and some dont last at all.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

The wifey's Sequoia is serviced by Toyota by their maint intervals. It rides, drives and feels brand new at 90K miles. Its stupid expensive....its worth it in longevity as Bob said.

On the flip-side...my Nissan Harbody (hoop-de) I do the work myself.....
Somewhere in Kenya, a village is missing their idiot.......
90cr500guy

Post by 90cr500guy »

Had to do the fronts on my F150 Supercrew at 50k.
Overall I didnt think that was bad, I have driven the truck very agressively in the past and I tow a dual axle trailer on mountain roads with no trailer brakes.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rosco-Peeko wrote:..my Nissan Harbody (hoop-de) I do the work myself.....
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

AlisoBob wrote:
You laugh...but it works eh. :wink:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

my '89 truck would never use front pads, the shoes were every 20,000k atleast, they did all the work tho, and it was a hard life

my '99 is the same deal, no front brakes, might even have the originals at 480000kms, they dont do squat, i've put rear pads on it, had one wedge with gravel and smoke a rotor off, but they seem to last pretty good, my old hurse was a different story, i had the front pads literally on fire one day
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Rosco-Peeko wrote:[You laugh...but it works eh. :wink:
Whats its real name?
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Pepe' wasn't it?
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
Rosco-Peeko

Post by Rosco-Peeko »

Yep...Pepe the mule....just keeps going....aint pretty but it gets me where I want to go and is easy with the petrol.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I got the Mule part, just couldnt remember the name.....
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Rosco-Peeko wrote:
AlisoBob wrote:
You laugh...but it works eh. :wink:

:lol: :lol:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????