Jason's '07 rmz left him stranded...

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!

what do you think failed?

topend
41%
bottomend
9%
chassis
18%
trans/clutch
18%
electrical
14%

Total votes: 22

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

Wow, Bob, did I hit a sore spot with this...
The board has been a little quiet, I thought I'd start up a thread that I was expecting everyone to jump in on... I guess its cool when you stir shit up for your own amusement, but if I present and arguement with fact to back it up that the general 500 polulous disagrees with then I'm out of line??
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

What Bob said. Exactly.

I never said I disagree. I know that for most riders, 4 strokes are the shiznit. I have plenty of buddies who have yet to experience a major failure. These buddies are not casual riders. They are not easy on their bikes, they ride them, a lot. I also know that their maintenance routine is much more costly than mine. The parts they break and wear out are ridiculously expensive.

As for me, I've tried it. I've put more than a few hours on a CRF450. It's not for me until I have no choice. End of story.

There's plenty of this argument to be found elsewhere. Why bring it here?

You're a good dude Danny. I have a ton of respect for your knowledge on CR500's and your experience with conversions. I dig your humor.

Same goes for MFDB. I enjoy having you boys around... until you start preaching to us enthusiasts. It's like having Mormons come to my door. I'll make up my own mind tyvm.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Its not a sore spot, its just outside the focus of the forum.
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

dannygraves wrote:Wow, Bob, did I hit a sore spot with this...
The board has been a little quiet, I thought I'd start up a thread that I was expecting everyone to jump in on... I guess its cool when you stir shit up for your own amusement, but if I present and arguement with fact to back it up that the general 500 polulous disagrees with then I'm out of line??

:nono: Your a :homo: an your 4 stroke is GAY.........
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

^^^^^
YEAH!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No longer have a CR500.
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

dannygraves wrote:
The longest 2 stroke topend I had lasted 2 years, I bet my kawi makes it to 3 before I decide to do a tear down because I feel like it.
Sounds like you need a new machinist :confused: I'm just say-n
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

MojoScojo wrote: It's like having Mormons come to my door. I'll make up my own mind...

I like Mormons coming to the door, Mormon girls are hot, and put out...

Its the jehovah witnesses that bug me..... not hot.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

AlisoBob wrote: I like Mormons coming to the door, Mormon girls are hot, and put out...
This is true! I used to have some neighbors (somewhat close) - and their daughter was smokin!! But only catered to their own kind... :(
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

dude, Mormon chicks are awesome, I hooked up with so many in high school, they are like catholic school girls :twisted: :twisted:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

:lame:

Never had a female come to the door. That would be much better. Always the suit clad pretty boy with the backpack and a lisp.
No longer have a CR500.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

that sucks, there is a mormon church like 100 yards from my house and that place is like uber-milf-central 24x7... Not to mention the hot teenage daughters :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

MojoScojo wrote::lame:

Never had a female come to the door. That would be much better. Always the suit clad pretty boy with the backpack and a lisp.
Not in my 'hood, looks more like this...

MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

Girl like that knocks on a door in my redneck neighborhood...

"Do you know God?"

"Hell yeah, take you to him right now sweety."
No longer have a CR500.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

MojoScojo wrote:Girl like that knocks on a door in my redneck neighborhood...

"Do you know God?"

"Hell yeah, take you to him right now sweety."
:twisted:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
MICK

Post by MICK »

dannygraves wrote:Hey Mick, is the glass half empty or half full? Some one is a little pessimistic.
Danny my glass ran plum out of damn water awhile ago, I'm all doom and gloom :lol:

I don't know...I just haven't seen many two strokes fail (shrug). Be it that during the weekend races the majority of riders are on four jokes, I'm bound to see more four joke failures statistically anyway? Regardless, I watch four jokes blow up every single weekend I start my bike.

My two stroke has over five years, several hundreds of hours, dozens of races. All it's seen in that time is a $40 set of rings. When a fourstroke lasts that long and runs this good I'll be more interested. But then they're gonna have to figure out a way to make them lighter and not feel like a tub of shit also. I mean, I'm not old, and I like change as long as it's an improvement. I guess they just don't sell themselves to me? Quite honestly it doesn't look like they're ever going to. I don't see four strokes being popular for very long...
M.F.D.B. wrote:I wont waste my time trying to convince someone who is set in their ways. It's like trying to explain that fuel injection is better then carburation, id rather just keep enjoying the "goods" and let everyone else have the "old" stuff.
Well I'd absolutely LOVE fuel injection!!! I'm excited the dirt bike community is finally producing it. Thing is my first FI bike isn't going to go THUMP, nor will it be of half liter displacement. It's gonna be orange and go BRAP.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

dannygraves wrote: I have infact whitnessed and experienced more 2 stroke break downs than 4 stroke break downs and I feel the negative 4 stroke reputation is driven by the fear of change and stubbornness of a bunch of old timers who don't feel like dealing with a chain tensioner. .
yep, i have too. and every 4 stroke failure ive seen so far has been catastrophic. the worst 2 stroke failure ive seen so far has been a cylinder-replating (mine). most of the time, its just piston/rings.

and the "unreliable" 4 stroke thing is just inna-net folklore....just ask all the racers that have grenaded a motor and it cost them the race......

lets see you fix this with a piston/rings, not to mention, i have never seen a 2 stroke do this before.....

2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

MOJO, I dont think that I "preach" but I sure as hell am a guy who "sets the record straight" with the intention of preserving "facts". Im like this in any facet of my life not just dirt bikes. If a complete stranger says "this is what happened" and a friend of mine says "no this is how it happened" and I see that the stranger is right you better believe ill tell my buddy he is wrong, period, no exceptions...

My friends and family know, if that dress makes your ass look fat, and you ask me how it looks, im going to tell you it makes your ass look fat...

That being said, I may only be knocking on 30 but im old enough now to know some people are "set in their ways" and honestly, if someone is happy the way things are, more power to them. If you are absolutely convinced your religion (just an example) is right and you sleep better at night, and I happen to find out what I believe is true, id rather you live your whole life happy "knowing" you are right than destroy your world "showing you the light"...

In the end, I will live a better life seeing my buddy with a smile on his face rather than disappointment...
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

NightBiker07 wrote: lets see you fix this with a piston/rings, not to mention, i have never seen a 2 stroke do this before.....

I wanna see you fix a tossed rod or fragged piston in a 2 stroke with just a "piston/rings"... :roll:

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

NightBiker07 wrote:
dannygraves wrote: I have infact whitnessed and experienced more 2 stroke break downs than 4 stroke break downs and I feel the negative 4 stroke reputation is driven by the fear of change and stubbornness of a bunch of old timers who don't feel like dealing with a chain tensioner. .
yep, i have too. and every 4 stroke failure ive seen so far has been catastrophic. the worst 2 stroke failure ive seen so far has been a cylinder-replating (mine). most of the time, its just piston/rings.

and the "unreliable" 4 stroke thing is just inna-net folklore....just ask all the racers that have grenaded a motor and it cost them the race......

lets see you fix this with a piston/rings, not to mention, i have never seen a 2 stroke do this before.....

this is funny, because in this most I was just messing and stiring the pot... as far as the pic, have you ever seen a 2 stoke motor lose a piston pin into a port window... some guys on here have and it doesn't leek all that different from the pic you posted.
I love the cr500 and 2 strokes in general. I prefer riding my shiney new 450, after a couple of years, I'll pull it apart, clean it, drop in a new piston, new timing chain tensioner and guides and valve springs and seals, then hammer on it for a couple more years. a 2 stroke would get the same treatment, only a piston and a bore minus the valve springs, seals, tensioner and guides... I'm not going to land in the poor house spending an extra couple hundred every couple years.

oh, and I might be posting up some pics of another new goodie for the bike in a couple weeks here :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
MojoScojo

Post by MojoScojo »

M.F.D.B. wrote:MOJO, I dont think that I "preach" but I sure as hell am a guy who "sets the record straight" with the intention of preserving "facts". Im like this in any facet of my life not just dirt bikes. If a complete stranger says "this is what happened" and a friend of mine says "no this is how it happened" and I see that the stranger is right you better believe ill tell my buddy he is wrong, period, no exceptions...

My friends and family know, if that dress makes your ass look fat, and you ask me how it looks, im going to tell you it makes your ass look fat...

That being said, I may only be knocking on 30 but im old enough now to know some people are "set in their ways" and honestly, if someone is happy the way things are, more power to them. If you are absolutely convinced your religion (just an example) is right and you sleep better at night, and I happen to find out what I believe is true, id rather you live your whole life happy "knowing" you are right than destroy your world "showing you the light"...

In the end, I will live a better life seeing my buddy with a smile on his face rather than disappointment...
I know you. We've been having discussions for how many years now?

I see the light. I have chosen not to walk in. It's not a warm inviting light. It's a cold lifeless one.
No longer have a CR500.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

MojoScojo wrote: I see the light. I have chosen not to walk in. It's not a warm inviting light. It's a cold lifeless one.
:roll: :wink:

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
MICK

Post by MICK »

2010 MXA Race Test KTM 250SX wrote:Even though the KTM 250 two-stroke engine hasn’t seen any power improving modifications since 2008, it’s a rocket ship! The 250SX has a very smooth, broad and usable powerband (very linear). Made 49.05 horsepower at 8600 rpm and 30.95 foot pounds of torque at 8100 rpm. That's 1.8 horsepower and 1.75 foot-pounds of torque less than the CRF450.

The 2010 KTM 250SX hits the scales at 210.3 pounds. For comparison purposes, the 450SXF is 230.6 pounds. The difference is huge and can be felt off the starting line, in the air, on the track and when picking up the bike.

This isn’t your father’s four-stroke. It is amazing what a two-stroke can do that a four-stroke can only dream about. Test riders could go wherever they wanted. A KTM 250SX rider can change lines, pivot on a dime, hop out of ruts and take shortcuts that 450s couldn’t get to if they tried.

Compared to its four-stroke brethren, the 250SX is an inexpensive bike to maintain and to hop-up. Big gains can be made from mid-and-up with just a silencer.

Under AMA rules, a 250cc two-stroke can make 96 dB, while a four-stroke can only make 94 dB (because the sound of a four-stroke carries twice as far as two-stroke sound). The KTM 250SX produced 94.5 dB, which is quieter than most four-strokes.
When the power output is matched, there is no reason this side of the moon to own a four stroke.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

I have ridden both the bikes in that article. The KTM might "achieve" those numbers, but there is a HUGE difference between PEAK and AVERAGE numbers. The 450 will hold those Torque numbers for a much longer time. I can tell you that the 250SX handles "ok" but sure as hell not nearly as much "better" than the 450 as they make it out to be. For the price the KTM is the highest even though you do get some pretty fancy stuff, but it sure doesnt "feel" as light as the numbers say. KTM is the only one I know of who offers a smoker with electric start, if that is your thing. Their thumpers are the least reliable of all too...

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

MojoScojo wrote::lame:

X2 WTF!
-Jake

CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

I couldn't give a dog turd what anyone rides be it 2 Vs 4 stroke, as long as they all get max fun / reliabiltiy for minimum $$$
I love the fact Danny bought a Kawi KX450F, we can give him heaps and have something to laugh about.
M.F.D.B obviously loves his YZ450F and really enjoys riding it, so why wouldn't you expect him to get a little pissed at people for putting shit on the 4 stroke brigade.
I like to stir both of them about owning a 4 stroke, in the end it is their money they should buy what they would like to ride. A 4 stroke so be it.
As for them having their say on here, I get to learn a lot from them because I have never had anything to do with a 4 stroke motorcycle of any kind.
So Danny and M.F.D.B. when I stir you its just a bit of fun, nothing more. I like to hear everyones veiw on things to give me a better idea of what things are.
I actually hope your 450s have really great reliability and cost you stuff all because I hate seeing people lose money or having breakdowns.
Its not so much a case of which is better 2 or 4 strokes but which bike do you want to own and ride. :wink:

I wouldn't wish anything bad on anyone just because they own and like riding a 4 stroke of any brand.
Hows that for sucking up to you guys. :lol: :lol:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????