This totally sucks ass........ P-51 down

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

This totally sucks ass........ P-51 down

Post by AlisoBob »

Su-Su

A World War II-era plane has crashed at Stellar Airpark in Chandler, killing at least one person and prompting an evacuation of parts of the airpark.

The plane, a P-51D Mustang, crashed into a hangar at the airpark, located at the southwest corner of Chandler Boulevard and McClintock Drive, about 1:20 p.m., said Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor. The circumstances of the crash weren’t known, but FAA investigators were on their way to the airport Thursday afternoon.

The plane was registered to Hirani Oil Arizona, which appears to be a sales and property management company in Chandler.

ABC15.com reported that one person died at the scene.

Bob Gottlieb, who owns some hangars on the property, told the Tribune that the deceased pilot was a close friend.

He declined to disclose the man’s name, saying he wanted to leave it up to the family.

He said the wreck happened on the east side of the runway.

Gottlieb said he saw the plain cartwheel into the building and explode.

“He was killed instantly,” he said.

“Unfortunately, his wife had to watch the whole thing,” he added later. He didn’t say why the man’s wife was on site.

Gottlieb said the pilot was very capable and described the accident as the result of a chain of events that were out of the man’s control.

“There was no distress call,” he said. “It was a normal landing. The airplane just got away on landing. So he wasn’t in distress. There was no emergency, there was no mechanical failure. This is just one of those freak accidents. It’s conducive to the type of aircraft that he was flying."

The plane and at least one hangar were on fire. Chandler police said hangars in the area were being evacuated.

Marisela Garcia, an employee at Coliman Pacific Corp. at the airpark, said she heard the craft going overhead sounding as if it was going to crash into her building.

The next thing she saw was the huge column of black smoke.

“It was really, really bad,” she said.

Judy Stoffers, an employee at Westcoast BOP Products, said she too saw the smoke and said there were a lot of police and fire crews running around.

One Tribune employee’s husband who works about a quarter of a mile from the airpark said a small amount of smoke was visible immediately after the crash, but quickly dissipated.
"SOLID Bro!!"

Post by "SOLID Bro!!" »

Judy Stoffers, an employee at Westcoast BOP Products, said she too saw the smoke and said there were a lot of police and fire crews running around.

Realizing, later that her brother was in town and the smoke was from him while he was on his lunch break.
MICK

Re: This totally sucks ass........ P-51 down

Post by MICK »

Bob Gottlieb wrote:...saw the plane cartwheel into the building and explode....It’s conducive to the type of aircraft that he was flying.
:bsmeter:
Cartwheeling into buildings and exploding is not conducive to the P-51 (any model), so I'm told by pilots who fly them.

Pilot fuckered up...that's all. Still really unfortunate.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

P-51's are known to bounce, stall, and roll over if your not careful.
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

this happened about 5 mins from where i type this now...

didnt even know it happened! :shock: :shock:
MICK

Post by MICK »

AlisoBob wrote:P-51's are known to bounce, stall, and roll over if your not careful.
So we're agreeing it was pilot error?

Not that I'm fishing buddies with P-51 pilots or something, but I've been told by one or two, Mustangs were easier to fly than driving a car.

...I mean, golf karts are known to bounce and roll over if you're not careful also :lol:
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

MICK wrote:...I mean, golf karts are known to bounce and roll over if you're not careful also :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Speaking from exprience are we? :D
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

MICK wrote:So we're agreeing it was pilot error?
Oh.... 100%. Nazzy does not have the reputation of being the sharpest stick and rudder guy out there.

Hell of a nice guy though....

:?
Mik329

Post by Mik329 »

I agree that it was probably pilot error but that statement can apply to any tail wheel aircraft. If you don't watch what you're doing, a ground loop can happen to anyone. I used to teach in the damn things and have had a few people try to kill me in them.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

When you bounce it, then firewall the throttle in a Mustang to go around, you had better stand on the rudder pedal.

The Merlin "P Factor " is insane...