Case leaking oil...

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
bgraley

Case leaking oil...

Post by bgraley »

Hey all, I have trans oil leaking out of the inspection hole on the bottom of my case. I think this means my gasket is going bad. There is not much oil coming out, so if i keep it full of oil is it ok for me to ride it for the rest of the season? thanks
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I thought it was coolent and the new seal & waterpump shaft cleared that up .....
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
eyesky2002

Re: Case leaking oil...

Post by eyesky2002 »

bgraley wrote:Hey all, I have trans oil leaking out of the inspection hole on the bottom of my case. I think this means my gasket is going bad. There is not much oil coming out, so if i keep it full of oil is it ok for me to ride it for the rest of the season? thanks
Inspection hole???? Do you mean the little bolt to see if it is full? If so. it is a $2.36 crush washer, just replace it... Not to mention your in S. Cal, does your season ever end? :P
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
bgraley

Post by bgraley »

Jay, yeah it was leaking out of the weep hole also. fixed that. the inspection hole i am talking about is on the botom of the engine case. on my service manual it is page 10-19 the end of the transmision section. it is just a little bit of oil coming out. like i said, i think the gasket is going bad. the manual says "Start the engine and check for leaks using the inspection hole" it doesn't say what to do if oil comes out. I am not super woried about it cause it is not a lot of oil, but it needs to get fixed eventually. so do you think it is an emergency fix or could i just get by till summer?
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

A little black RTV may help keep the oil in???
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

lol about the rtv grease/silicone.
that hole comes from your ignition. i think its a general breather/drail for condensation etc coming from your ignition. if oil is coming from there then its from your clutch actuator seal or your left crank bearing seal.
it could possibly be your case gasket but this is highly unlikely for that to just start leaking.
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

ps, do not silicone that hole or your ignition will eventually fill with oil :)
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

The stuz is right if you are talking about the little hole under the crank
It is there to allow water to drain out of the stator area. If you have oil there it is either coming from the crank seal or the clutch shaft seal, possibly the gasket just above it but I doubt that one.
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
bgraley

Post by bgraley »

Yeah its the void at the botom of that pic. I will check the actuator seal... hope its not the crank. Thanks for your advice and help, that is going to help me fix the problem. my biggest concern is a massive falure, but i don't think that will happen from this leak untill i can pull the motor and break the case. i'll start with the clutch seal first. thanks
bgraley

Post by bgraley »

You guys are great... I have looked through literally hundreds of pages on other groups and not found the info you just gave me. I just opened the stator cover and there was oil in it. Now i just have to find the seals to replace.
Thanks again, you have really saved a ton of frustration.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

ps, all the seals in the 500 can be replaced without having to split the cases.
however you will need to remove the magnito/ignition set up to change these seals. you will need a rattle/air gun to remove amd instal the stator crank nut, and you will have to pry the seals out with something sharp. try to dig through the seals and pull them out.MAKE SURE YOU DONT SCRATCH THE SEALING SURFACES OF THE CASES.may i also recommend you check for play in the lhs crank bearing while you have the ignition off.
seal kits are cheap off ebay 10-20 bucks. good luck.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
fastkart

Post by fastkart »

Don't buy ebay seals... OEM Honda only.
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

YES OEM ONLY!!!!
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!
bgraley

Post by bgraley »

ok... you may hate me or whatever, but it is a 97 250... but i do want you to know the 500 is in the future.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Why would we hate you because you ride a motorcycle? :?
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
bgraley

Post by bgraley »

I just don't feel cool enough cause i'm not on a 500... but seriously you guys answered my questions and were a huge help. thanks again
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Nothing at all wrong with a CR250. The 01 I had that I used for my conversion, I seriously thought of just keeping it also.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Hey Brian head over and give an intro here
http://bannedcr500riders.com/board/viewforum.php?f=16
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
sabreguy

Post by sabreguy »

bgraley wrote:I just don't feel cool enough cause i'm not on a 500... but seriously you guys answered my questions and were a huge help. thanks again
Hey at least it is a Honda
88CR500
ROOST ON PEOPLE!!!