Gen one spacers

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Rue

Gen one spacers

Post by Rue »

I'm in need of some Gen 1 swingarm spacers, I can't find a local machine shop willing to help me out!!!
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

What these,

"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

they arnt needed use the standard ones and space them out
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
97af

Post by 97af »

These are pretty easy to whip up yourself.
These shots were taken when I did my 97.
"A good friend will come bail you out of jail, A TRUE friend will be sitting next to saying, DAMN THAT WAS FUN"
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

why not make them go betweem the engine bushand the engine then its all oem and you dont have crappy washers to line up
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

Greg you'd have to split the case's to press out the factory collets.
i made mine because 2 of the 3 motors had none and the holes were huge compared to the AF swingarm bolt.

During my many dummy fits for measurements to do my conversion i was sick to death with trying to line up those bloody slip in spacers, i'd swear and curse the dam things to the point i decided to add the material to the collet that was presant in the CR250-motor.
end result much easier to work on and a very neat looking job.

See the case hole difference to the swing arm bolt

CR250 97
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

you do not have to split the cases to get them out nor do you have to freeze them to get them back in a gentle tap with a appropriate size pin punch removes them easily
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

but you are right in the case of the older engines being to small a inside diameter
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

Greg,
the Cr250 motor from my donor was dead so i try'd to knock'm out on the bench...fat fuck'n chance, we ended up cuting into the case's to relive the pressure on them.
i guess a well maintained bike my be a different story but mine wasn't, it had seen a few beach runs in its day and none the better for it.

As far as cooling parts to be pressed in goes...true you my not want to but ive always done this,
with ball joints and the like, cooling the job makes the metal contract and heating the work area expands metal.

you know this and as i cant afford to be splitting cases i chose to heat and cool my job...it went in like a good...well you get the picture
:lol:

I've got motors with only the open alloy hole in the crank case bolt hole like in the pick thats why i had to make the spacers that pressed into the cases :(

CR250 97
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
Rue

Post by Rue »

Thanks for the Pics 97af, I see that you run the 4mm on the left and the 7mm on the right, I am using ShanMan's Instructions on the Gen 1 Build and he runs it the other way around??? Any issues with chain alignment??
97af

Post by 97af »

Rue wrote:Thanks for the Pics 97af, I see that you run the 4mm on the left and the 7mm on the right, I am using ShanMan's Instructions on the Gen 1 Build and he runs it the other way around??? Any issues with chain alignment??
Cool...Glad they can help. You sure Shan runs them opposite? He got the measurements and the pics from me before he did his first...Way back in 03 or 04. Man, I cant believe its been that long.
Chain alignment is spot on.
"A good friend will come bail you out of jail, A TRUE friend will be sitting next to saying, DAMN THAT WAS FUN"
Rue

Post by Rue »

97af wrote:
Rue wrote:Thanks for the Pics 97af, I see that you run the 4mm on the left and the 7mm on the right, I am using ShanMan's Instructions on the Gen 1 Build and he runs it the other way around??? Any issues with chain alignment??
Cool...Glad they can help. You sure Shan runs them opposite? He got the measurements and the pics from me before he did his first...Way back in 03 or 04. Man, I cant believe its been that long.
Chain alignment is spot on.

Step 8 in ShanMan's Instructions: "Reassemble the chassis by first installing the swingarm. This is where you will need to install the swingarm spacers. As you see in photo three, you will need to install the thicker (7mm wide) spacer on the left side of the swingarm, and the thinner (4mm) spacer on the right side of the swingarm."

Photo Three:
97af

Post by 97af »

Rue wrote: Step 8 in ShanMan's Instructions: "Reassemble the chassis by first installing the swingarm. This is where you will need to install the swingarm spacers. As you see in photo three, you will need to install the thicker (7mm wide) spacer on the left side of the swingarm, and the thinner (4mm) spacer on the right side of the swingarm."

Photo Three:

Rue,
You can try it Shans way but its not right. My guidance came from Mickey Kessler, the original builder of the AF. Like I said try it, but try it both ways. I'll betcha my way lines up better.