ill be the guinee pig

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dannygraves wrote:to be honest, Brits "race porting" isn't very impressive on the power it produces off the bottle.
To be honest, Brit has never taken the time to tune it... bolt it together and run it til it fails is his modus operandi....
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

I will say, with a bigger carb and some fine tuning, more could be squeezed out of it. But I still expected a whole lot more out of it. Also he has tried a variety of pipes, so the noleen pipe can't really be blamed. I still think he should put a 41mm pwk on it, but since he is juicing it, he doesn't care to change the carb.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

AlisoBob wrote:
dannygraves wrote:to be honest, Brits "race porting" isn't very impressive on the power it produces off the bottle.
To be honest, Brit has never taken the time to tune it... bolt it together and run it til it fails is his modus operandi....
Tune what? You have a simple 2 stroke motor and the worlds most simple carb, you jet it and ride, period.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

well, I don't remember Brits bike fumigating the dunes like his gen-1 does on the trails. it is pretty lean and mean, no blubbering, I don't know how much more you could expect in tuning. I do know though that a larger carb would make some improvement.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

This is really funny to read!!! I'm not bashing anyone here, this topic really cracks me up!!. I really do hope that there is a dyno shootout but it needs to be 2 bikes, one stock and one ported for the pipe test to be accurate. Both setups will also need the jetting changed each time to maximize how the pipe works on each setup.

My question on Brit's race ported cylinder is, has anyone ever put a degree wheel on it to see where the port timings actually are? So it's race ported, race ported to what? When the cylinder was ported, was there a conversation on how the motor was going to be used? I don't know Glen well, bought a piston from him and he gave me some real good advice and I'm sure he can build an all out sand drag machine if he was asked to but my guess on this cylinder and I'm only assuming that he wasn't asked to do this. I'm sure Glen can do what ever a guy wants but it appears to me he really caters to the hill climbers who need to get on and off the gas and need a real torquey broad power band and using a FMF pipe I could see completmenting that power. The serious hill climbers he builds for probably know how each hill is going to be and could possibly change pipes for faster not as technical hills vs one's that you need to be on and off the gas some. This is only a guess on my part.

It appears your porting needs have changed 100HP since now you want full out drag ported sand hill racing port jobs. I can see why you go to Dennis Packard, he specializes in this along with CPI and their pipes. My guess though if you would tell Glen that's what you want, he could do the same thing and the performance would be similar. I have seen some of Packard's work on TRX 250r's which he loves and I wasn't all that impressed with the way the porting looked or worked. I think the CPI pipe is a nice piece and probably really does perform well all over but really upper midrange and top end and if I wanted something like that, I would probably buy one.
Ported&Polished

More posts! Come awn page 29! :D
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Brits bike prolly' dosent even get "full throttle".....

:roll:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:lol: Bob, you crack me up. 2 guys had the same results with that jug... can't always blame Brit :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

AlisoBob wrote:Brits bike prolly' dosent even get "full throttle".....

:roll:
I was riding with a guy who was having a hard time up the sand hill @ Sunfair and could hear his motor not getting full throttal ....sure as shit

it happens
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
Ported&Polished

I know Clyde and myself have used several different porting guys including Glen, Packard, CTI, and Jerry Hall, and ridden bikes done by Pete Loomis and Eric Gore. And the only reason for the porting was for max power out of the bike and the ability to win drag races. Clydes Jerry Hall bike simply kicked arse and was the fastest cr500 I'd ever seen, no 450 could touch him. He is just on the quest for more, haters be damned.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

ya, the 750 that bro and nick put in a 125 sounded good, but shoulda had more, he'd put a 500 throttle on it instead of the push pull deal and it only opened just over 1/2 way :roll:
glen howell

For what it's worth

Post by glen howell »

Last edited by glen howell on December 24th, 2009, 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
gas is for washing parts, alcohol is for drinking,nitro is for racing
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

right on Glen, I am glad you do what you can to support the people with your products even if it wasn't purchased directly.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
r1yfz

Post by r1yfz »

i take that as a NO your not going to dyno any of your pipes?
yota

Post by yota »

nothing to do with porting but Glen sleeved my cylinder, supplied and drilled a wiseco piston with rings, chamfered the rings and filed the ring end gap, ported and polished the exhaust manifold, very nice work for a very reasonable price. I discussed his trail porting over the phone with him, he asked me some questions about the type of riding I do (semi tight woods) and told me I didn't need to spend that money, which I really already knew. no upselling. nice guy. good work. good price. fellow hoon.
09 TTM CR500AF
08 KTM 200 XC
08 Ducati Hypermotard
03 CR125
95 CR250
83 Husqvarna 125 XC
73 Maico MX250
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

i had Glen do up my cylinder with the trail porting and wiseco, and i told him that i ride MX mostly and run a PC pipe. As seen here, the work was beautiful. The turn around time, customer service, price were all top notch and i have to say Glen does good business.

My motor specs are:

New bottom end. Everything. yes everything but the cases and shaft new 6/09
GSS Trail port Top end, bored to 90, with GSS wiseco, 86 Head.
PWK41 55/180/DGJ 3rd clip from top
14/48
04crf450 chassis
this setup has over 100 HRS hard MX with not one prob

I have no doubt my 5hundy would simply crush 100's bike on the dyno and drag strip. And yes i would put money on it.

People can discuss the performance aspect of parts and tuning, but bashing a fellow hoon and an all around good dude is BS. Glen has lots of happy customers, and did nothing to deserve a bashing. I bet the guy has forgotten more about 500's then most would ever know.

100 sounds like a CPI fanboi.. :lol:
r1yfz

Post by r1yfz »

kdizzle wrote:
HE drg RACES!! he doesnt need a PC or fmf pipe! Of course he would be fan of a pipe that suits his rideing style.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

sand drags and hill climb are 2 very different things for sand drags, you NEED rpm. period. for hill climb, explosive torque at a low rpm will help when you have to manuver around ruts and rocks. sand drag, you just pin it and use to power to overcome the resistence of the sand. a bike with explosive torque and no high rpms is a dog in the sand. the launches are out of control and once you hook up, you are out of the power band. the type of riding definitly needs to be taken into account when porting. Glen builds hill climb bikes, and I bet Brit bike would effin' rock climbing up some rutted out rocky ass hill. I am not bad mouthing Glen, I'm merely trying to present this situation as a hole instead of the whispers away from the board not being taken into account here. I don't believe anyone is bashing. 100 is being a little tough on Glen because he wants Glen to present some real numbers to back up his products. what would everyone be saying if "Glen" were replaced with "SH" and this whole thread started over. If I built performance motors for a living, there would be dyno sheets, even dyno tuned specs for jetting with certain combinations, etc. If you bought a $10k crate race motor from summit or Jugs, it will come with a dyno sheet, and if not, they atleast have claims that the motor has to meet if you chose to dyno it. why would bikes be any different. I'm not picking sides, I've seen Glens work, and as I said "top notch" but is it faster than Loomis, does it but out more hp or torque at certain rpm than packard.
maybe 100 seems to be coming off as crass, but I honestly thing I'd like to see dyno sheets from every builder. some real numbers will force the bar up but making better competition. think about it, if you were a performance shop, and you saw your competition getting a few more hp up top, maybe you'd make a couple adjustments and do a little R&D to make yours stronger, etc. As it stands, its all about who is the best guy, not about who builds the best motor. I like Glen, I'd be stoked if his setup beat them all in some aspect, and the next time I do a topend, he is getting my jug to bore.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

BTW Kdizzle, nice dog. I couldn't bring myself to crop either of my dogs ears, so they have the big floppies. "blame the deed, not the breed!"right?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

I Can Feel The Love!!!
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

hey man, this is hoon love, we all knock each others teeth out, then chill and have a beer :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Clyde = Uncle Rico

dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

LMFAO! :lol: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

r1yfz wrote:
kdizzle wrote: HE drg RACES!! he doesnt need a PC or fmf pipe! Of course he would be fan of a pipe that suits his rideing style.
Doesnt look like it from the vid. :lol:
kdizzle wrote:
People can discuss the performance aspect of parts and tuning, but bashing a fellow hoon and an all around good dude is BS. Glen has lots of happy customers, and did nothing to deserve a bashing. I bet the guy has forgotten more about 500's then most would ever know.

x2
-Jake

lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

pstoffers wrote:I Can Feel The Love!!!
ME TOO
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"