tubliss

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
teamdns

tubliss

Post by teamdns »

have any of you guys ran these?

http://www.nuetech.com/

thank you

Post by MICK »

I've been running one on the front for a couple months now. I wrote up a huge post about it on the other site but it wouldn't post, site was working too damn slow. So I stopped it. I'm a simple man, I ain't typing all that shit up again. Here's the meat and patatoes:

1. It took 2 months to receive.
2. It's 2oz (actually 8.5oz) lighter than my OEM Honda front tube.
3. Makes tire changes much faster and simpler.
4. I don't think tightening my spokes is going to work well.
5. Using my old tire I ran 2lbs less air for comparison, hooked up well.
6. There is no difference in handling.
6. Valve stem doesn't (can't) shift under load when running low psi. Previously my front tube would shift with 12lbs!
7. Don't know if you can run them completely flat, I'm not made of money so I'm not going to damage a rim to find out.
8. Haven't had any loss of air yet.
9. Put my new 756 on last week and dropped 2 more lbs from the front (now 10lbs). No damage, no leak.

No different than any "NEW" front tire, I feel extremely confident coming hot into corners. Am I faster, Yes. Thanks to Neutech, not entirely. If you already run 10lbs in your tires with no issues I'm not seeing a benefit to these. I have not had flat issues in the past. So the flat prevention is really of no concern to me in particular. I was looking for reduced gyroscopic weight and improved traction. Did Neutech deliver? They met me half way. It does provide me the ability to run 10lbs or less when I have had a nightmare keeping my tube implace in the past. Now I've dropped 4lbs from the front with zero problems. This is what Neutech offers me. It's not earth shattering but it's a legitimate improvement I can back with lap times. Worth the $115 to my door. I would buy a 2.5x19 version if they offer one. Tubes are garbage.

*EDIT* I forgot to include the OEM rimlock. It's actually 8.5oz lighter than stock.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
MICK

Post by MICK »

Some long term tubliss input. I posted my thoughts on the other forum a little while ago and thought maybe some of you that don't visit the other site might be intersted.

Initially my goals were unrealistic. I thought the tubeless setup might be so much lighter that you could feel a difference. MXA thought so, why couldn't I? The perceived performance benefits just aren't there...
Over the months what I've come to realize are the benefits a tubeless tire does offer. Or better put, the "experience".
Initially I was affraid of loosing air and getting a flat. I ran it pretty stiff. Like 15-18psi most of the time. With this pressure it hooked up well but otherwise not so much better than normal it provoked thought. As the odometer ticked away on the Nuetech system and I got more comfortable I began to experiment more with tire pressures. What I realized was I could indeed run the tire completely flat and yet the sidewalls remained firm and still protected the rim from damage. Now this did get the hamster wheel turning...So I began running sub 10s all the time, all day long. That's when I realized what I was missing. The contact patch is so gummy it sticks to everything like velcro and yet the sidewalls are strong enough to prevent the tire from rolling and causing a flat tire feel. I've ridden on every soil compound found in Florida now and have come away every time impressed. It's the days when a track is hard and compact that I go, "Man I wish I didn't have 756s." that I'm most impressed. When you come into a corner hot and prepare for a front end wash but the tire doesn't budge, is when you wipe the shit from your pants and say Hey, this thing works pretty good! After doing that a couple times I began consistantly coming hotter into corners than my riding ability would previously allow. Now around the time I purchased the Nuetech core my riding ability spiked a good deal. In about six months I've gone from a ho hum rider to one of the fastest among my class. A better riding technique was an obvious factor, but I do give partial credit to my tubeless front end. Not many things actually make you faster to the point you embarrass other riders. This actually has.
As far as maintanence, the tubeless core needs hit with the air compressor before every ride. Not every moto or every day, but if you're a weekend warrior like me you need to check tire pressure before you leave the house. Which is a good idea anyways, but I had gotten into the kick the tire technique of determining air pressure. Well that doesn't work with the Nuetech core. For one the contact patch of the tire always feels and looks flat. And two, the sidewalls should have 110 psi against them so there's no telling with your feet or hands whether it's got 110 or 60. The tire itself doesn't hold as much air so the week it spends sitting on the stand will see more dramatic air loss due to the air bleeding out of the tire as per norm. And the core holds damn little air so air loss in it is even more dramatic. Filling your tire with something like nitrogen would be a good fix for this but I'm poor and only have an air compressor. I see a loss of about 25 psi a week in the core but the tire may loose .5-1.0 psi during the same week. An odd feeling with these is the tire unbalance. The system is 8.5oz lighter than a OEM Honda tube and 90% of it's weight is asociated with the rim lock. Because of this during high speed launches, like 5th gear WFO throttle doubles, I can feel the front end shake awkardly during flight. I'm sure every bike I've owned does this to some extent. But my 380 and 500 motors weren't as smooth as this one so I didn't notice.
So I can't speak of reduced tire tempuratures, reduced gyroscopics and the advantages thereof, faster excelleration or flat prevention. But I can tell you this thing hooks up like it's nobody's business. I've used alot of rubber on a lot of bikes. And no tire, including previous 756s grab like this. It's like the perfect tire and perfect air pressure for every terrain I encounter.

I may get a 2.50x19" system early next year to test for Nuetech. I'm pretty excited to try one. As I wanted one for the rear initially because that's the business end of a 500. Hopefully it turns out to work as well on the rear as it does on the front. I can only speculate. One thing though is I'll try to be a lot more opened minded when I try it rather than having a bunch of unrealistic goals.
Last edited by MICK on November 30th, 2008, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Awesome review Mick how come your not running the 756's anymore or are you?
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
MICK

Post by MICK »

No I still use them. Pretty much exclusively...
Two rears run forwards and reverse to one front :lol: And the occasional 773 thrown onto the rear for some races.
crashing_sux

Post by crashing_sux »

Just a me too post, I'm running one of these setups up front as well and have had virtually identical findings to Mick. Not necessary, but if you have a few bucks to spare it's not a waste of money and the increased traction (and no flats in 6 months of running under 10lbs of pressure) is nice.
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Mick...

Getting rid of my UHD tubes on my next tire change. Just looking for your current input on the Tubliss system for both the front and rear, since it seems your one of the few using both of them.

Basically asking is it worth it, I ride almost exclusively MX, with some soft dirt single track/trails. How are they holding up on big jumps and other hard hits?

$200+ is a lot if it as no added value as I can get regular tubes for $20!
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
crashing_sux

Post by crashing_sux »

I'm no MX'er but I'm now running the tubliss kits front and rear and love it for trail riding. I'm able to run very low pressures (4lbs rear, 5lbs front in my last mud race) without the tire rolling over too much in the corners and without a single flat so far, even with some very hard hits to the front tire on rocks. They leak down fairly quickly so if you're the type to check tire pressures once a month they wouldn't be the hot ticket but as long as you check them before you ride every day they work great.