500 vs 250 ?

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.

does top end porting make the 500 unmanageble in the tight trails

yes
36%
no
36%
if you rev it
9%
it makes it easier to ride if you lug it
18%

Total votes: 11

2strokeforever

500 vs 250 ?

Post by 2strokeforever »

hi I live in canada and have never rode a 500 but i got a few questions about the power.
does not having a power valve screw over the low end?
compared to a 2000 or newer rm 250 does it have better or worse low end?
if its ported with a big carb will it still have more or less?

the only big bore bike i ever rode is a it/yz 465 how does a 500 compare to that?
will a 500 rev out better than a 465?
sorry for all the questions but i am going to get a 500 as soon as i can and would like to know what its like

also how many rides does a rear tire usualy last or gallons of gas

anyone bought a service honda in canada? do I have to pay american tax, canadian tax, and duty?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

it'd be like driving a monster truck on the golf course
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

If I can go trail-riding with Bob et al and as a complete novice do OK with the 500 so can you....
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
MojoScojo

Re: 500 vs 250 ?

Post by MojoScojo »

2strokeforever wrote:hi I live in canada and have never rode a 500 but i got a few questions about the power.
does not having a power valve screw over the low end?
No.
2strokeforever wrote:compared to a 2000 or newer rm 250 does it have better or worse low end?
Better, if we're talking stock.
2strokeforever wrote:if its ported with a big carb will it still have more or less?
Loaded question. Porting is meant to CHANGE the power characteristics to meet your needs. There are many different types of porting. The consensus on the PWK 39 is it is an improvement.
2strokeforever wrote:the only big bore bike i ever rode is a it/yz 465 how does a 500 compare to that?
I had an 83 IT 490 for the 10 years prior to getting my CR. The IT had more bottom, but then thats what it was built for. It didn't take long to adapt though. Ergonomics are WAY better on the CR. Thus it is far more rideable.
2strokeforever wrote:will a 500 rev out better than a 465?
I have no answer for this. Better than an IT 490? Absolutely.
2strokeforever wrote:sorry for all the questions but i am going to get a 500 as soon as i can and would like to know what its like
I STRONGLY suggest that you start with a stock one. If it doesn't meet your needs stock, then tweak it so it does.
2strokeforever wrote:also how many rides does a rear tire usualy last or gallons of gas
Depends on the rider and the terrain. If you are typical power junkie in jagged gravel, about 5 minutes. Myself, I can get probably 20 tanks out a rear.
2strokeforever wrote:anyone bought a service honda in canada? do I have to pay american tax, canadian tax, and duty?
I have no answers here.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I am no tax expert, but will predict upon arrival in Canada the bike will attract import duty, Canadian national / provincial (?) sales tax and any fees associated with registering it. Because the bike was exported you would not be liable for American taxes.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: 500 vs 250 ?

Post by AlisoBob »

MojoScojo wrote: I STRONGLY suggest that you start with a stock one. If it doesn't meet your needs stock, then tweak it so it does.
And buy GOOD gear......
robertg

Post by robertg »

You may have to pay state tax, depends where you buy it. Some states will refund your tax if you send them paperwork and your bills. When you bring it in to Canada, you will have to pay GST for sure, maybe provincial tax, and maybe 6.1% duty. There is also a $207.00 RIV fee.

I'm from Manitoba, but I'm sitting in a Hotel room in Vancouver right now.

I'm a beginner and I ride my CR500/CR250 conversion on the tight trails. It's a bit of a handful for me, but it's a lot of fun. I'm sure I could go faster on a slower bike but I would miss the power.
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

im 145#'s and hold my 500 wide open on fire trails and go pretty fast through the tight technical trails, I like my 250 way better for trail riding but I do wish I had the little extra grunt the 500 offers on hairball stuff. If your looking to be nimble and fast through the tight stuff I wouldnt recomend the 500 to you since you say your a bigginer, also it tires you out fast if your small like myself... I would suggest getting good on the 250 before you make the big step... it will help you in the long run.... $.02
-Jake

Iceman

tax

Post by Iceman »

GST, RIV fee, and duty. (as stated above)

I have had a 500 since 91, raced 250-500 MX (intermediate) from 91-94

500 for really tight single track is tough going. Like Caseyracing222 stated, a 250 is better for trail riding

But a 500 for desert, fire roads, ice, they are fricken awesome.
2002 CR500 AFC
FMF fatty, V-force, 39PWK, Dyno Port engine, EGT
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

CR500 for life :headbang: Don't be a puss......
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
britincali

Post by britincali »

pstoffers wrote:CR500 for life :headbang: Don't be a puss......

:stupid: :3g: :3g:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok