Stumped and frustrated....

WTF Happened!!!!
redrocket190

Stumped and frustrated....

Post by redrocket190 »

So I am Day in the Dirt and having started and run perfectly, suddenly my bike died 1/2 lap into the Vet Classic GP. Back in the pits, we changed the plug and noted that the original BR8ES was dark and wet. Checked carb and went from 170 to 160 on main, moved clip up one spot, and went from 50 to 48. It was a cool day, but LACR is 2500' above sea level. Grounded a new BR8ES plug and did see a spark when cranked by hand. Anyhow a gazillion kicks later a couple of backfires and nothing else. The coil is stock and brand new. Plug cap and wire are stock. I am wondering whether the rotor moved and the timing went off. Your ideas and advice are most welcome.

Riding a 2004 CRF450R tomorrow in the Senior Vet GP...
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

kind of hard to pin point it exactly just from your description. once you have a look it shouldnt be hard to start ruling things out pretty quick.
FZ1426

Post by FZ1426 »

Sounds like a float level issue or a major air/vacuum leak to me. I'd be running a 175 main in those conditions.
'06 CRF450R, '02 R1, '11 YZ450F
robertg

Post by robertg »

Definitely not a jetting issue. If it was jetted right at the beginning of the day, it should still be right unless you had a major temp change. It sounds like there is dirt stuck in the needle and seat, causing it to flood.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Re: Stumped and frustrated....

Post by AlisoBob »

redrocket190 wrote:.... suddenly my bike died 1/2 lap into the Vet Classic GP. ....The coil is stock and brand new.

Suddenly dying is for sure an electrial issue..... When bad electronis get hot, they fail.... period.

The only thing you swapped from Elisinore to D/D is the coil.... mine (which is known good and ran great for you ) for the one AJ sent you free......and I dont care how new or good it looks.... its prolly shit.

AJ may have had it laying around on his bench for awhile, and maybe forgot there was an issue with it.... I dont know....

If you remember, you gave me that whole box of electronics AJ sent you.... I couldnt make any of it run on my bike... put my stuff back on..... fired 1st kick.

I think that whole box is crap stuff.