broken AF

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
roost251

broken AF

Post by roost251 »

http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/MotoRelat ... 009,704070

look at bottom of 1st page

and yes the katoom looks good
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

LOL :lol: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Big jump = frame breakage. Two-stroke only day at Apex in Britain.
http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/04/5 ... motocross/
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
MICK

Post by MICK »

The rider of #60, Scott, had the 500 built by a local Brit (also a member of adrenalinetrip). He was on flat ground, rubber side down when the bike caved in...

Bike was fabbed in a couple days. Prototype-ish bike in the hands of a Pro rider? He's lucky it DIDN'T give up the ghost on a massive kicker!

The KaTooM does sound neat! I'd be interested in seeing some Pro lap times aboard that. I think a 350 thumper would be the fastest bike to have in MX...under these current thumber sucking rules...
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
chachi243

hmm

Post by chachi243 »

funny, they crack somewhere before they just bust in half, i wonder if that cat ever inspected that chassis between motos or if he just rode the hell out of it cracked until it finally went boom....heaven forbid a guy actually inspects the weld seams from time to time...... i blame the rider or mechanic, not necessarily ONLY the welder..... shit happens, cracks appear SOMETIMES on a seam here or there....... but they can be ground and rewelded long before THAT happens.... Lazy bastards! i suppose improper valving and suspension settings could be to blame as well.....how many times can you bottom out in a big triple clamp slam before something besides your ankles gives......

damn KTM350....... should be a twin 350 2 stroke!
MICK

Re: hmm

Post by MICK »

chachi243 wrote:how many times can you bottom out in a big triple clamp slam before something besides your ankles gives......
Hundreds. Ask me how I come up half a bike length short on so many large kickers with a 500cc two stroke...I wouldn't have an answer :nutkick: This spring I bent a front wheel and pair of Pro Taper bars overshooting the "Mountian" at Monster Mountain. Surprised I didn't die from that judicious application of throttle, I'm even more surprised the bike is sitting in my garage like it didn't happen...save for the new rim and bars.

But chachi I second your opinion towards rider responsibility. Had Scott actually been injured, he had nobody to blame but himself. Fortunately he wasn't and he probably went and slapped the builder with his pimp hand.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
ukaf

Post by ukaf »

chachi243 wrote:funny, they crack somewhere before they just bust in half, i wonder if that cat ever inspected that chassis between motos or if he just rode the hell out of it cracked until it finally went boom....heaven forbid a guy actually inspects the weld seams from time to time...... i blame the rider or mechanic, not necessarily ONLY the welder..... shit happens, cracks appear SOMETIMES on a seam here or there....... but they can be ground and rewelded long before THAT happens.... Lazy bastards! i suppose improper valving and suspension settings could be to blame as well.....how many times can you bottom out in a big triple clamp slam before something besides your ankles gives......

damn KTM350....... should be a twin 350 2 stroke!
Elsewhere on the track there's a jump into a "bomb hole" - the fast guys are landing from 30' up I'd think - it's likely that's where the damage was done. The frame actually broke pretty quickly (first session out) so he didn't get chance to check it - that makes things worse I know!!!!

Given that it failed within 30 minutes or so you'd have to say that the fault was most probably down to poor welding/fab work.

When the frame broke it came apart at the Y, stretched and then snapped both main spars just in front of the sub-frame/top shock mount. The two parts of the bike ended up 20' apart.

I have some photos of the frame before and after the episode but I'm not sure how to post them here.
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

ukaf wrote: I have some photos of the frame before and after the episode but I'm not sure how to post them here.
Go to www.tinypic.com and upload them there. Then copy the line with "IMG" on it and post it into your reply here.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

HrcRacing

Post by HrcRacing »

chachi243 wrote:funny, they crack somewhere before they just bust in half
That picture has been circulated for a while and, you're right, it did crack and separate at the top of the Y. Someone posted a cropped pic of #60 jumping a while back and you can clearly see it.