barnets dirt digger "carbon" clutch plates

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
thestuz

barnets dirt digger "carbon" clutch plates

Post by thestuz »

just installed my new clutch. took it for a small ride and im pretty impressed by the feel of it.
it didnt look oem quality, and ive heard bad reports of the barnets kevlar clutch not lasting more than 3 months but i heard good reports about the carbon clutch. i was a bit worried but after todays ride im feelin confident.

what i liked most is that it has two special plates that are to be used againat the aluminium sides. this reduces scoring and wear of the alloy plates and in turn reduces clutch oil contamination.im gonna be giving it hell in the next 6 months so ill keep yas posted on the long term update.
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I've had that clutch, for what... 5 years now?

Love it .
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

Last edited by thestuz on November 1st, 2009, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
do it!... cos if you dont, youll spend the rest of your life thinking about it anyway!

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

i think those guys were using the kevlar one.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Mines taken 2 seasons of bad abuse at dumont with at least 60lbs of nitrous and numerous 2nd gear + wot + spray starts with a 14 blade viper, next week starting on the 3rd season.

Overheated and slipped too fuk multiple times and is still holding strong, it cooks the shit out of the type F I run but still no slip at all.

Definate must buy.

The only negative is Ive broke 2 clutch cables now (the lead part at the end pulls off). It could be because of the heavy springs :?
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

yeah i noticed the heavier clutch feel,are they heavy duty springs or were my old ones just soft?.its a shame cos im on the clutch pretty often and its hard work with arm pump. i was gonna put the old springs back in.the old clutch never used to slip but with all the trouble i had with the last clutch, i wanted to start a fresh.
im trying out a 14/47 sprocket combo to for mx so the clutch gonna get a fair workout on take offs.are you guys running the kevlar clutches or carbon?

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Carbon.

Im pretty sure a lot of the longevitiy is attributed to the heavier springs.
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I run the 1/2 stock springs... 1/2 Barnett
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

thestuz wrote:yeah i noticed the heavier clutch feel,are they heavy duty springs or were my old ones just soft?.its a shame cos im on the clutch pretty often and its hard work with arm pump. i was gonna put the old springs back in.the old clutch never used to slip but with all the trouble i had with the last clutch, i wanted to start a fresh.
im trying out a 14/47 sprocket combo to for mx so the clutch gonna get a fair workout on take offs.are you guys running the kevlar clutches or carbon?
how are you guys on the clutch all the time on a 500 they are tractors and pull in any gear
only posties ride 4 stroke hondas
goldfields sheet metal fabrication
98 yzfr1
05 crf 500 race tech goldies
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

gregrobo wrote:
thestuz wrote:yeah i noticed the heavier clutch feel,are they heavy duty springs or were my old ones just soft?.its a shame cos im on the clutch pretty often and its hard work with arm pump. i was gonna put the old springs back in.the old clutch never used to slip but with all the trouble i had with the last clutch, i wanted to start a fresh.
how are you guys on the clutch all the time on a 500 they are tractors and pull in any gear
i only ever use the clutch when down shifting,braking hard into a corner or coming out of a corner.i use second third snd fourth gear most of the time with standard gearing.i dont know of anyone that uses one gear all the time wfo. and some times you get better traction when your in different gears. depends on terrain i guess.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

i didnt read your post properly i thought you ment you were on it all the time slipping it my bad
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

well i took it out for its first hammering and it works a treat :D :) :D :o :) :D
no more stalling into corners while down shifting
being able to start in in gear without clutch drag
NO MORE clutch drag :D :D
being able to run my idle circuit lower now without constant stalling through shifting
letting me be able to decelerate :D :D

you could say im pretty happy with my investment :D :D

i got home, changed my gearbox oil and it was still a little cloudy.i was hoping it would solve my glitter oil problem but with breaking in a new clutch and flushing out the old crap,i think im gonna have to wait a few more rides to see.

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.
gregrobo

Post by gregrobo »

your never going to get rid of the glitter the clutch will always put fibers in your oil
glad you had a good ride im off for one now to broad arrow and bach about 130 plus kms
98 yzfr1
2010 rmz 500af
01 banshee
thestuz

Post by thestuz »

gregrobo wrote:your never going to get rid of the glitter the clutch will always put fibers in your oil
glad you had a good ride im off for one now to broad arrow and bach about 130 plus kms
yeah but my oil goes bad/real bad after 1-2 hours of riding. admittedly, i do give it a good hiding but it just doesnt seem right to lose that much alloy from the gear box every ride.

how clean is your oil after 2 hours riding? (or 5 litres worth of fuel riding)

01 CR500
98XR600
94 FIREBLADE
ESTABLISHED 1977.