Gen 4 wheel interchangeability?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Disturbed

Gen 4 wheel interchangeability?

Post by Disturbed »

My gen 4 [05 CRF450] came with 87 wheels and break calipers.

I must upgrade. :roll: Well, maybe if I can move some stuff I have listed here.

Anyway, without jumping through spacer hoops what 2000+ wheels will work with the 87 calipers? I know the answer will be in the diameter of the rotors.....but I don't have a more current wheel available to test fit.

Thanks you my hoonage.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

:? :? :?

Are you sure the wheels are off of an 87, the axle diameter is smaller on the 87.

What did the guy do with the 05 wheels?

He would of had to go to a lot of effort to change all that but WHY!

Get the wheels that suit your bike, It is the best solution! :wink:
Jack Schitt
DIE FIRST, worry about it later!
DON'T talk about it, Just DO IT!
When in doubt, GO FLAT OUT!
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Wife and Daughter - Left Aug 17 - 2010
Jack Schitt - ??????????????
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

u should measure the front + rear axel diamiters, the rear stuff its possible to change bearings to match axels, but the front cant be done without machine work, 95+front should be the same, rear i think is an 2000+ for the large axel stuff
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:u should measure the front + rear axel diamiters, the rear stuff its possible to change bearings to match axels, but the front cant be done without machine work, 95+front should be the same, rear i think is an 2000+ for the large axel stuff

OK tell me how he did the 87 calipers on the bike, 87 front does not have the same bolt centres. :? :?

Seems like a lot of trouble for what reason, what would be the gain to want to change all of that stuff.

You would think the 05 gear would be up to standard, Why change. :?
Jack Schitt
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

I haven't gotten into it but the guy that built the bike tells me the wheels are 87 [and they sure look like it] and so are the breaks. I don't think he converted a roller but built up a frame.

The ft. caliper has a fabed [not fabulous] piece that makes it work. The rear is just on the slider like normal. Sounds/seems like I'll need a current caliper on the ft. with a current wheel though.

I'm asking about what wheels fit/work so I can upgrade the wheels with what I can find the best deal on [decent wheels used] that'll work now. I'll upgrade the brakes when I can.

Not sure about the axles....I'll check.
Last edited by Disturbed on September 4th, 2009, 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

the axel will mean everything, i've got some looking into the front wheel stuff, bearings are not swappable, but the rear bearings can be changed
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Disturbed wrote:I haven't gotten into it but the guy that built the bike tells me the wheels are 87 [and they sure look like it] and so are the breaks. I don't think he converted a roller but built up a frame.

The ft. caliper has a fabed [not fabulous] piece that makes it work. The rear is just on the slider like normal. Sounds/seems like I'll need a current caliper on the ft. with a current wheel though.

I'm asking about what wheels fit/work so I can upgrade the wheels with what I can find the best deal on [decent wheels used] that'll work now. I'll upgrade the brakes when I can.

Not sure about the axles....I'll check.

If the wheels are from an 87 the front is a 4 bolt disc hub and the rear is a 6 bolt disc brake hub, the front hub would use bolts with no shoulder ( 84-88 ) and the rear hub 6 bolt is only 87-88.

If anything is different to this, they are later model hubs than 88. :wink:

The front axle is the same from 84-94 and the rear axle is 87-01, on the CR500, you would need to get the wheels off of later CR125 / 250 or CRF250 / 450.

May also need to get an original 05 CRF450 front axle as well.

Sort of makes sense why he did it that way, cheaper and what is available at the time.
Jack Schitt
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

If the wheels are from an 87 the front is a 4 bolt disc hub and the rear is a 6 bolt disc brake hub, the front hub would use bolts with no shoulder ( 84-88 ) and the rear hub 6 bolt is only 87-88.

If anything is different to this, they are later model hubs than 88. :wink:

The front axle is the same from 84-94 and the rear axle is 87-01, on the CR500, you would need to get the wheels off of later CR125 / 250 or CRF250 / 450.

May also need to get an original 05 CRF450 front axle as well.

Sort of makes sense why he did it that way, cheaper and what is available at the time.
The ft. is 4 and the rear 6 so 87 it is.

Axles aside, should CRF wheels work with the 87 brakes as they are set up now [for 87 rotors]?
Disturbed

Post by Disturbed »

All right, it's figured out.

87 Ft. wheel machined for 05 bearings using stock axle.

Rear: Swingarm was welded up and machined for 87 axle and modified for break caliper.

I'm going to try and round up a swingarm, front and read calipers and wheels to bring it into the same decade as the rest of the bike [sans motor].

Thanks for giving me the info I needed to get it figured out.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i have a swingarm from a 450 that i wanted to use on a 250, if its different i'd sell it or trade for that one depending on the hack job, i'm going to cut the ends out for a welded in extention anyways.

swap the bearings in the rear wheel for the af sized, not a big deal, but i'm driving grain truck right now and gotta run
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Disturbed wrote:All right, it's figured out.

87 Ft. wheel machined for 05 bearings using stock axle.

Rear: Swingarm was welded up and machined for 87 axle and modified for break caliper.

I'm going to try and round up a swingarm, front and read calipers and wheels to bring it into the same decade as the rest of the bike [sans motor].

Thanks for giving me the info I needed to get it figured out.

It is always better to have everything match, then when you need parts it is not a guessing game.

I am glad you have it worked out. :wink:
Jack Schitt
2001 CR500R1 - SOLD
2007 CR250R7 - SOLD