stator coils

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
Fletch 2

stator coils

Post by Fletch 2 »

Im looking at replacing all the electrics on the 500, im just wanting to know what the difference is between a regular ignition stator and a lightning ignition stator. Also, how common is it for the oem CDI units to have problems. Cheers.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

I sometimes see guys kicking their bikes over with the plug wire disconected....

When you do this, there is no way for the coil to fire a spark, and when the magnetic field in the coil colapses, that energy has to go somewhere.... taking out the CDI box.

If you stay away from this practice, the OEM ignition is pretty reliable.

Regarding the stator, which one are you referring to?

On 99% of the bikes, the lighting coil is just piggybacked onto the oem mounting plate.

Its independent of the ignition.
Fletch 2

Post by Fletch 2 »

dont worry bout the coil question, just misread some info. Anyway in regards to replacing my electrics, i just been having issues with getting a good spark if any at all. Yesterday i went out for a ride and the engine just died due to no spark. in the end i ended up taking the flywheel off the crank shaft to find the shaft had crumbled where that key sits in it (messy!). The key its self is stuffed as well. i had a look at the thread on the crankshaft and its shagged so im guessing the flywheel has come loose and thats whats cuased the damage. There where bits of crankshaft all through the flywheel. Ever seen this?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

AlisoBob wrote:I sometimes see guys kicking their bikes over with the plug wire disconected....
holding the kill button prevents spark from going to the plug wire. ive done it a few times when doing compression check.
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

bro in law's 500 was running great until he shut it off. Could not get the thing fired. Had weak if no spark. Typically the stator goes tits up if there isn't spark so I guess this could be kind of related to this thread.

Will take the entire ignition off and check the ohms per factory specs but anymore these days, where does a guy send a stator out to be rewound? Last time I tried Ricky Stator on a 250r they just wanted to sell me a cheap chinese stator that lasted about 2 seconds. They wouldn't rewind a stock one for me.

where else is there to send one in to. Buying a CR ignition isn't an option and a new CR 500 stator which comes with the flywheel is $600.00.

Any ideas?
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

if the stator stays dry and dirt free, i dont see how they would ever fail. i guess the coating on the windings may deteriorate at some point but that would take a long fuggin time.
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

as crappy as the stock plastic stator cover is, it's about impossible to keep this area dry. This bike was pretty rough when it was purcahsed so who knows what kind of shape everything was in.

Will ohm everything out and see were it stands. Rewind $100.00 Ricky Stator, if it's just the coil on the stator they have them for $39.00. They are still probably cheap chinese pieces but will see if they work.
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

as crappy as the stock plastic stator cover is, it's about impossible to keep this area dry. This bike was pretty rough when it was purcahsed so who knows what kind of shape everything was in.

Will ohm everything out and see were it stands. Rewind $100.00 Ricky Stator, if it's just the coil on the stator they have them for $39.00. They are still probably cheap chinese pieces but will see if they work.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i agree. keeping dirt and water out can be tricky with the stock plastic cover, especially if it gets cracked or warped from the pipes heat. the key is to get a cover thats in good shape. i used silicone on the gasket, and silicone around the clutch cable hole, so far ive had good luck keeping everything inside dry. billet flywheel cover is the way to go but the palstic one gets the job done if you keep a eye on it.
LOVEMYCR500

Post by LOVEMYCR500 »

I do the same as you do with the silicone this along with not overtightening the plastic cover seems to do the trick.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I have wound a 650 stator wasent that hard .
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"