dual head stay vs single

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
seanmx57

dual head stay vs single

Post by seanmx57 »

I can't remember which thread I was reading. I saw something about dual head stays are better at reducing vibes. The one that comes with the SH on the gen 2 and 3 is big hunk of billet but it only is for one side. I have some CR250 head stays. They are made of aluminum and I could mod one to work on the opposite side of the SH one.

Would having a weld be a bad thing on an aluminum head stay? They are only about 1/4 thick.

I remember reading about someone doing them outta steel. I'm not into rust. I'd have to powder coat. No matter what I do it will take some effort unless I just stay with the single SH unit.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

why would anyone use a one sided head stay ? makes no sense to me
~Trever

Post by ~Trever »

The way I see it is...
how did honda do it?
2003 crf450r
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

:wink: :roll:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

I've got a big thick one sided one on my gen3, its not a problem on there, but i will add a second side to it later, i need a mounting spot for something there anyways
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

My Gen 3 SH came with the large single sided.
I put on a double sided and quite frankly, notice little or no difference.
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

So if I built one out of steel would mild steel be adequate?

I did a test fit of an 3.7 gallon IMS tank last night and the big single sided SH unit was hitting. I gotta check, I'm hoping doing a thinner steel or aluminum one would clear.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i dont think any of us are real engineers, and can only base our future decisions from our previous trial and error experiences. im not aware of any real engineers working for S/H either, so their one sided head stay is probly based more on ease of parts fitment rather than adding strength anywhere. to me, it makes more sense to secure something from both sides rather than one side, but if you feel the one side is adeqaute then roll with it :D
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I agree, both sides is better. the CR250 design shows that clearly. Now I am just trying to figure out what material to use. That big tank is another challenge. I've never bent aluminum before so I don't know if it kills strength. The stock CR250 ones could be modded but would require welding a tab on to the aluminum, what ever type it is.
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

seanmx57 wrote: I've never bent aluminum before so I don't know if it kills strength.
Yes it does. If you are going to bend or form it needs to be in annealed
T0 condition then re aged. If you are going to buy some and make it, see if you can find some already @ T0. Then you can make it and then age it in your oven at home 350deg for 16-24hrs.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

mine wasn't annealed and both side cracked totally through- I bent a piece of bar on a press to make the bracket.
After rewelding though it is holding up- maybe welding relieved the stress?
03 CRF450/85 500
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I just finished building 2 steel ones. I built them out of 1/8" mild steel. I went well. Now I'm wondering if I should harden it. My memory is a bit foggy. I think someone told be once to heat it red hot and dip it in oil to harden it. I don't know if it's necessary of a waste of time. I wanna send it to get powder coated tomorrow.
KE 336

Post by KE 336 »

Yes, you could do the heating and then oil quench to gain some hardness but you said you used mild steel which is a general term. It most likely has a very low carbon content and wouldn't pick up much hardness anyway. I think in your application I would just use as is. $.02
chachi243

Post by chachi243 »

trick with aluminum is a soft radius rather than a cracking tight fold, also, theres a grain to it, if you bend it right on the grain direction it cracks like the san andreas..... you gotta go opposite the grain, and bend it gently.... i run a double sided stay each piece is 1/4" 6061, very soft radiuses carefully formed with no cracks or problems after 2 seasons....it helps to have "soft jaws" in the vise before you whack it with a mallet....
bpst1

Post by bpst1 »

I just built a gen 2 cr250. I used 1/4" aluminum plate, one on each side, left them flat and made billet spacers to make up for the offset. It seems to work well.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

I considered that method with the spacers. I thought something ridgid would do the job better. If the spacer was welded to the plate it would be better I'm guessing.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Machine it as one piece from the start and save the welding, it will look better without the welds and probably be stronger as well.
seanmx57

Post by seanmx57 »

So I have a couple ride with the dual head stay. I did one with the single since the overhaul. I have a STR crank which helped ALOT on vibes.The dual does seem to vibe less. I think it was worth the work.