2010 yz450f ?

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I didn't like the 4 strokers either, but after I bought my 450x, it's actually a pretty fun bike to ride. It makes a hell of alot of power, and so far maintanance isn't anymore so much than a 2 stroke. Biggest thing is just keep the filter clean. For the type of riding I do now, it works great. Not taking anything from 2 strokes by any means, just sayin.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

Try putting the exhaust backwards on a 2 stroke, where the hell are you going to fit that pipe.
Better still what shape is that going to be. :lol:
~Trever

Post by ~Trever »

damn whats with the hate I like riding bikes that haul ass and are fun to ride who cares how many strokes it has :roll:
2003 crf450r
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

~Trever wrote:damn whats with the hate I like riding bikes that haul ass and are fun to ride who cares how many strokes it has :roll:
Men hate change, fear things we don't understand but we get use to it.

Apparently Cannondale did this years ago and had several problems with it. One point I remember is keeping the shock cool cause the pipe rapes around it. I wouldn't spill any gas either. :idea:
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

That fairly well sums up what I was thinking.
The trouble with some ideas is one step forward with two steps backwards.
A good idea can create another problem to solve
I myself prefer an easy to use and work on bike.
CR500.
When you start complicating things, it becomes more EXPENSIVE!, do you HOONS have an endless amount of money, I don't.
$.02 not that it means much. :lol:
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

The one and only problem I can see coming myself for the 500, is the availability of parts. Aftermarket wise, it's already fairly bleak, but when Honda stops production of the replacement OEM stuff next year or the year after, that could become a big problem. The stores of parts will last for a while but once there gone...? I think that is a big driver behind AF conversions, the availability of chassis parts/ upgrades. Maybe someone will outsource the rest of the oem stuff from Honda when it comes time. I love the 500 I have since 1987 when I first began riding them, but I also like new technology too.
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

I started riding the 500 back in 84 and I think the only thing I like more than a CR500 is my daughter.
I don't have anything against tech providing it dosen't make my life more complicated / time consuming.
I don't think parts availability will be a problem with the engine though, with so many old and new ones out there using parts /buying them they won't stop making them.
Just my thoughts.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

CR500R7 wrote:I started riding the 500 back in 84 and I think the only thing I like more than a CR500 is my daughter.
I don't have anything against tech providing it dosen't make my life more complicated / time consuming.
I don't think parts availability will be a problem with the engine though, with so many old and new ones out there using parts /buying them they won't stop making them.
Just my thoughts.

I feel the same about my boy. The thing is manufacturers are only required to produce replacement parts for 10 years after the end of a model run. I would think if they were making so much money on the parts, that they would reintroduce the whole bike. This has been planned for a long time. They would sell out of every 2 stroke days after they were released every year I can remember. And then they just pulled the plug. Unfortunatly the motorcycle, especially the off road divisions of all the companies that build them are relatively small, and I really don't think they give a shit one way or the other about the consumer. So we'll see what happens. If they brought these back they'd be a huge success, but I don't see that happening, but who knows my friend down under, what will happen.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

it depends on demand. they still make jugs for the 250r qwads and atcs which they stopped making in '88 and '89 because there is a demand. You can still buy a rod for a '84-86 motor. the 10 year thing is that they are required to have every part for every model they produce for a minimum of 10 years. people will be buying new cases, new trans gears, new cranks and new jugs for years to come. I bought some new oem parts for my old '76 cb750k about a year ago and they weren't even back ordered.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Wow, thats pretty wild, cause I had a fuck of a time getting parts for a few of my older bikes and finally wound up selling them, cause it was to much hassle. One was my 82 XR200 and then an 86 XT350. It's alright though, I'm not really into collecting anymore anyways.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ya, unfotunatelly, those were probably the types of bikes that the 10 year cut off applied to. just in that honda would assume after that time period you would get a replacement.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Yeah no kidding. I wasn't to un happy to see them go either! :lol:
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

I think were safe with the CR500 engine because so many of them were sold, plus the fact that SH sells around 200 plus every year.
They also sell the engine seperately as well which helps with the numbers.
This means there is quite a few in circulation to require maintinance, even though Honda stopped making the bikes in 01.
They have been selling at least 200 plus of everything required to assemble a 500 engine each year, makes sense to keep the parts coming.
In theory they probably haven't slowed down yet.
Just my way of thinking.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

I heard from someone who's suppose to be in the know, its 17 years. Why 17? I dunno.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

You could go less extreme...

But at this point in my life I kind of despise anything KTM or affiliated with them... :wink:
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

ordering a lot of ktm parts, eh?
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

just a certain co-worker who cant keep his mouth shut about how bad ass his ktm is and wont show up to prove it.. hes too skeered hes gonna get whooped. Hell i bet my clapped out XR will out run him in the desert lol..
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:lol:
let me know if he ever is going to show, you can borrow the gen-1, just to make sure you really show him up :wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

hey bitches dont be hatin on ktm :lol:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

hey, it isn't KTMs, its KTM owners! they are like vette owners who do 50 on the freeway and stop and turn around to look at their car every time they park it! The only thing I hate more than vette owners are hummer drivers (h2 and 3) GOD, they are always douche bags!
Anyway, KTM owners are usually all smug about their "superior-euro-engineered-over-priced-bike" and always insist it will out perform everything else, but they don't want to get their super expensive bike dirty to prove it. :roll:
don't worry dude, you are a honda owner who has a ktm... "KTM OWNERS" will never be seen on anything else :lol: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

dannygraves wrote:hey, it isn't KTMs, its KTM owners! they are like vette owners who do 50 on the freeway and stop and turn around to look at their car every time they park it! The only thing I hate more than vette owners are hummer drivers (h2 and 3) GOD, they are always douche bags!
Anyway, KTM owners are usually all smug about their "superior-euro-engineered-over-priced-bike" and always insist it will out perform everything else, but they don't want to get their super expensive bike dirty to prove it. :roll:
don't worry dude, you are a honda owner who has a ktm... "KTM OWNERS" will never be seen on anything else :lol: :lol:

:lol: i was messin with you. ktm's are a pile of shit to be honest, atleast the older ones like mine.....the newer ones might be better but im not sure. i tore into my 550 bottom end today, all ill say is this.......the cr500 motor is far far far superior in the way its engineered. the ktm flywheel/stator is the stupidest design ive ever seen. the water pump only uses 1 seal and no weep hole, so when the seal goes out it fills the transmission full of coolant....and the fukin impeller is plastic, go figure mine was broke :? . and theres no coolant drain plug, so you spill collant all over the fuggin floor when you drain it beacuse you have to disconnect a hose or take the impeller cover off. theres a few other stupid dumb bullshit things like that. by no means am i a loyal ktm guy :lol:
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

100hp honda wrote: impeller is plastic, go figure mine was broke
Theres NO inventory in Canada on that part, and a month ago 0 in the USA, all the race teams had bought the inventory. As a full team rider my cuz and his mechanic have been instructed to change that every 2 racedays. P.O.S.!
The old metal ones lasted for years.
Into the 525 to change a clutch case gasket on saturday, that stupid little oil hole was 1/2 blocked thru the cases too, wonder where that'll show up.

Danny, Dad has an H2T, and he USES that thing. He had a duramax with 35's before and figured he'd try this cuz there were no trucks available when he wanted to switch. I should have posted it, I sent Ryan a picture of it bellied out in a field. He had to take it in for a service to reset the F'n air ride after "field checking" and the CV shaft had broken and ejected its self. Dealer calls him to find out if it had been stolen cuz the skidplate was packed with dirt that took them hours to clean so they could change the oil, and the fender liners were all broke ( from the tires hitting them while jumping, and no its not graceful ) and it apparently had alot of scratches on the chassis (it gets 25miles gravel roads at 85+mph everyday). Its a neat truck, i'm 6'3" and hate getting into it and smashing the light switch into the dash, the anti roll is bullshit too, if i go speedlimit and swerve that thing hard on the gravel it will shut down to 35mph no matter what ammount of throttle you use, and the engine takes power out to save the driveline, so it isnt even fast with its 425hp
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

yeah, hummer = poop :lol: , except the old school ones. I had an old one w/ the 6.5 diesel pull my ranger out of the mud ones time, that was badass!
good thing some chinese company will own it now :roll:

I almost bought a ktm 450 a few months back and all that was wrong with it was the crank...well... when I found out the crank was gonna be $640, plus gaskets and seals :shock: well, I gave up on that idea :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Darrell262

Post by Darrell262 »

I like my 08 KTM 300 it has proven so far to be a reliable bike. have like 90 hours on it so far. :-)

New front fender, new back fender, new subframe (umm damn those endos)
And 2 chains, 2 sets of sprockets and 3 rear brake pads and 2 in the front.

Those wave rotors look cool and work well, but they are pad eaters.

2 stroke for life! lol. Mind you good old 500 still working fine,
98 Cr 500 Steelie, 08 KTM 300
Both sporting Tera Flex 150x90x18 tires.
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Darrell262 wrote:I like my 08 KTM 300 it has proven so far to be a reliable bike. have like 90 hours on it so far. :-)

New front fender, new back fender, new subframe (umm damn those endos)
And 2 chains, 2 sets of sprockets and 3 rear brake pads and 2 in the front.

Those wave rotors look cool and work well, but they are pad eaters.

2 stroke for life! lol. Mind you good old 500 still working fine,
Uuuhhhhh...

Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee