fork refill question

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
ou812

fork refill question

Post by ou812 »

Does pulling the fork on a 01 and just draining it up side down get all the oil out or do I have to pull the fork apart to get it all out? The reason I ask is I just remove the top cap and drained all the oil I could get out of it, only 500cc came out which does not seem right as I beleive spec is , std. 630 max 660. Waz up with that?
bigpower

Post by bigpower »

You got to pump the fork a few times to get most of it out. The best way is to disassemble. that way you can get everything inside nice and clean. Not too difficult a task with a good service manual. Chances are, you might have a few parts getting close to the service limit. Might as well do the shock, too. Nothing like fresh oil to make for a happy rider.

Better to refill to a specific height any way, and you'll need to do that with the spring out. I run the level in the niner at 105mm, or on the minimum side. Just a little more cushy out on the trail for me. Rocky Mountain sells the Tusk oil level tool for a very reasonable price. R HACKS would prolly bag on ya for ownin such a "cheap ass" suspension tool, but then again, who cares. They work.
Kalkaska, the inbred capital of Michigan. ....a place you can walk into the greeting card aisle and find one that reads "Happy Birthday Uncle Dad"