5th gear tranny prob.

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
kdizzle

5th gear tranny prob.

Post by kdizzle »

So i was out friday night at speedworld AZ when my AF acted up. It has been running great but it appears that i have a tranny problem. 5th gear seems to not fully engage, and while the bike "clicks" into 5th gear when i apply power it strarts to surge and feel lile it is inbetween gears, almost like a false neutral, but has the feeling like it is trying to fully engage the gear but is not, and the teeth are "nicking" each other. all other gears seem to be ok.

I guess its time to split the cases, anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? any areas to start looking at? If anyone has a digital copy of the service manual that would be greatly appreciated. i have been hammering this motor since '02 and has not had the cases split, so i guess it is due?

anyone know of a good place to pick up bearings at a decent price?

any other tips or things that should be replaced while im in there? I havent been into a CR500 but i have done a yz 250 when the thing threw a rod. any tips or shit to look out for would be great to know as well.

Happy riding on this holiday weekend, im going to have to dust off the RC51 to satisfy my cravings untill the 5 is fixed.

Kenny
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

everything is pretty straight forward but youll definatly want a manual close by. theres a bearing inside the case that uses tabs with philips heads, pay special attention to it. seems like honda puts thread locker on it and they can be a bitch to get out. you definatly dont want to strip the head or youll have some big problems. i used impact driver and it still took me a while to get the screws out. if those screws have been removed by someone previously then you might not have any problems.
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Usually the dogs on the gears wear out so be prepared to replace a few of them.
03 CRF450/85 500
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

100hp honda wrote:everything is pretty straight forward but youll definatly want a manual close by. theres a bearing inside the case that uses tabs with philips heads, pay special attention to it. seems like honda puts thread locker on it and they can be a bitch to get out. you definatly dont want to strip the head or youll have some big problems. i used impact driver and it still took me a while to get the screws out. if those screws have been removed by someone previously then you might not have any problems.
THanks for that :cool:
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

If you rode it like that to long more than likely you have screwed a selector fork in the process.
If that is the case throughly wash the inside to get rid of all the metal peaces that wore off.
The selector fork will have wear marks on it, if so ditch it and get a new one.
Also check selector fork shaft is not bent.
When you assemble the gearbox there is one washer, if you put it on the wrong side of a gear it will drag causing the chain to be tight while in neutral.
I learnt this one the hard way, not bad though for 18 years old and no service manual, did that 25 years ago and still remember doing it. :doh:
Last edited by CR500R7 on May 26th, 2009, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
racein01

Post by racein01 »

Not the the clutch is it?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

bent C shift fork causing rounded off dogs. you'll end up getting 2 gears and a shift fork. unless its the clutch slipping.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

shit could it be the clutch? the way it was slipping it was almost like a false neutral, you could damm near hear the gears attemting to engage. I have always had worn out clutches just start to slip gradually, everything feels fine in the lower gears.

I only rant he bike about a lap like that before I brought it in, it seemed to be ok as long as i kept it out of 5th.

At any rate I yanked the SOB last night. I will check out the clutch before I split the cases. otherwise im going to fully dissasemble this week ill update this thread with pics!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

probably not the clutch, and probably what I stated earlier. 5th gear is the 2nd gear from the clutch side, the engagement (I think) happens on the main shaft between 3rd gear (middle gear) and 5th gear (2nd fron the clutch side, next to the gear cast with the shaft) check the dogs between those and look for signs of a bent shift fork, the wear pattern on them is a dead give away if the fork is bent.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

heres whats driving when in 5th
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:wink:
the spot I'm talking about is between the light green (3rd) and the dark green (5th Main), the 5th counter locks to the shaft by grooves.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

i'd get the fork, 3rd + 5th gear and center gasket on order, that would save time that you might waste while considering re-using them, then assess the other parts
If its been in and out of 5th its going to have 5th on the other shaft screwed in the tooth face from loading and unloading
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

screwed in the tooth face?! :lol: :lol: makes me picture a tweaker hooker with one tooth :lol: :lol: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

here you can see how the teeth look scooped out compared to a good set

kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

you fuggers are a plethora of information! :cool: :cool:
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Me thinks Roosty is the smartest man in Canada... eh?
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

:roll:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

eeeeeehhhhhhhh??????????? :lol: :lol:
sorry, just remembering the strange brew drinking game :D
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Dammn Canadians 'EH

I've never been dogsledding (cough-cough: BOB)

Its probably took 3-4 attempts but i have watched the movie strange brew

I've shot supper from the livingroom window

I've never slept in an Ingloo or seen a real one

I've been to the sears tower, the Statue of Liberty, Mt, Rushmore, Devils Tower, all the monuments in Washington D.C., the Grand Canyon, drove the Alaska highway, the florida keys, had a mahi-mahi sandwich on the pier at Ponce Inlet multiple times, but have never seen the CN tower, or anything east of Ottowa :lol:

But I have been successful at hunting both kinds of Canadian Beaver (and in one case there is NO such thing as growing a "winter coat")
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

hhhmmm, I myself could go for some shaved canadian beaver! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

dannygraves wrote:hhhmmm, I myself could go for some shaved canadian beaver! :lol: :lol: :lol:
How fukin' predictable was that reply??????

Danny's baby picture.....
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

AlisoBob wrote:
dannygraves wrote:hhhmmm, I myself could go for some shaved canadian beaver! :lol: :lol: :lol:
How fukin' predictable was that reply??????

Danny's baby picture.....
Breaking News.......Water is Wet!

:lol:
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
CR500R7

Post by CR500R7 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I like that.
kdizzle

Progress....

Post by kdizzle »

So i finally got off my lazy ass and decided to tear it down. it has been 100+ for weeks already in Phoenix and the new house does not have AC in the garage. so it took me a few Beers to gain some motivation. Good news is that all bearings came out with minimal hassle, Even the little screws that hold in the left side case bearing (as mentioned previously in this thread) THey were a bitch to get out but I got the old cases smolderin' with the blowtorch and they backed right out. Just had to melt that factory locktite a bit.

So now that its all torn apart I can't figure out why the thing had a problem, all parts look pretty damm good to me? nothing bent, dogs look good gears look great for 8 years old. This was the first time the cases had been split and overall the motor doesnt look too bad inside.

Anything look afoul to you guys?

One thing i did find was a severly kinked bearing on one of the shafts, so kinked in fact it was quite hard to spin with my finger. could that cause a shifting problem?

My other baby that i like to show off