I'm twice as fast on a 250f

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
yaya

Post by yaya »

I don't get all the Hater Aid being served here. If Danny likes the 250 and is faster then so be it. He still loves his 500. Look at Frank, he spent boocoo bucks and did not like his 500. Last time I went to jawbone I rode a cr500, crf450, xr400, GasGas 300, crf250, and a clapped out cr250. I had a blast on all of them. Although I was mainly taking them up hills the other riders could not get up. I would not trade my GasGas 300 for anything! Point being Danny likes what Danny likes.
BBB!
Bikes, Broads, Beer.
Who gives a crap what order it's in...
M.F.D.B.

Post by M.F.D.B. »

Ive said it before and ill say it again...Some people own a 500 just because they want to tell people thats what they ride, like it makes them taller, stronger and better "hung"...They would rather sit around and shine their bike then ride it..

Hard for people like that to face the facts that the 500 is not a "cure all" and sometimes a smaller bike is faster/better suited for a particular riding area/terrain... :wink:
Faster then Speedy Gonzalez, slower then the Road Runner!!! MEEP MEEP

2002 CR80
1999 Cr500
2003 CR250R
2005 CRF250R
2006 YZ450F
2005 CBR1000RR
1997 Banshee
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

agreed
yaya

Post by yaya »

Well said M.F.D.B. :lol:
BBB!
Bikes, Broads, Beer.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I have to admit, since I bought the 450 a couple weeks ago, I've been riding it everyday, and Justin makes a point, I hate to admit it, but I can ride for hours without the severe work out I got on the 500, and am going faster on it even when I don't mean too. It is a very ridable bike.
Blusmbl

Post by Blusmbl »

I'm probably going to be getting rid of my 500 next year, the few times a year I ride at the dunes don't warrant such a monster of a bike. I'm seriously faster riding in the woods on my CRF70. I'm fearless on a little 70 cc bike, but I'm still a bit timid of the 500 and after about 5 hard laps of any track my fatness gets the best of me and I've gotta take a break. It's a constant workout to hang onto.

I can see a 450 in my future.

I love the ridiculous power, I love being able to toss the front wheel up regardless of gear or speed, I love the low end torque...but I don't like how it's flat out abusive to ride. I don't have room in my garage for 2 fullsize dirtbikes, 2 minibikes, a streetbike and my Caddy so it'll have to go if I pick up a 4 stroke.
redrider

Post by redrider »

Blusmbl wrote:I'm probably going to be getting rid of my 500 next year, the few times a year I ride at the dunes don't warrant such a monster of a bike. I'm seriously faster riding in the woods on my CRF70. I'm fearless on a little 70 cc bike, but I'm still a bit timid of the 500 and after about 5 hard laps of any track my fatness gets the best of me and I've gotta take a break. It's a constant workout to hang onto.

I can see a 450 in my future.

I love the ridiculous power, I love being able to toss the front wheel up regardless of gear or speed, I love the low end torque...but I don't like how it's flat out abusive to ride. I don't have room in my garage for 2 fullsize dirtbikes, 2 minibikes, a streetbike and my Caddy so it'll have to go if I pick up a 4 stroke.
Thats why mine is getting the full street treatment for now untill I can get a 250x to throw the engine in. I think the steel frame would rock on the street, even compared to an AF, but on the dirt there is no comparison. So I'm not complaining about the power but the damn thing has cost me twice as much in medical bills as it did to buy and operate it.
Last edited by redrider on May 8th, 2009, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be hauling ass
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

I started riding 500's after being in the dunes on a 250 and it was work to ride the 250. The 500 was a ton easier for me to ride. The 250 kept you busy shifting and throttle control was important. On the 500 I can be lazy in the dunes. So in line with that thinking, I could reasonably expect that a 450 would offer me the same kind of ride.
However, I cannot and will not buy any modern thumper just because it has ruined watching SX and MX for me. I'm the guy that MFDB likes to point out that is old and longs for days gone by I guess and I'm cool with that. Plus++++ I HATE the way they sound, much like I HATE the way a Honda Prelude sounds with a fart can exhaust.

Now I have to go chase the neighborhood kids off my grass. :lol:
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

LOL, go shake your cane at them punk kids with their music!!! :lol: :lol:

I love the feel of riding the 500, the powerband and abrubt hit are awesome. A lot of times if I get off the 500 and hop on one of MFDBs bikes it feels slow and boring at first until I realize I'm actually going a lot faster. I will always have a 500 for the dunes, but I really think a thumper would be better suited for the trails.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

dannygraves wrote: I really think a thumper would be better suited for the trails.
I agree. If what you're riding requires you to put a FWW on your 500, you're probably on the wrong bike.
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I love the 500 I alsways will, but for myself right now the 450 works perfect. I don't care for sand anyway, so most of my riding will be trail type. I find the 450 alot more forgiving and I don't put my feet down as much which is a very good thing for me. Strangely though, the 450 X feels like it has 2 times the room the 500 did.
kdizzle

Post by kdizzle »

M.F.D.B. wrote:Dude, I respect your opinion, but Suzuki makes the worst thumper on the market, and the RMZ250 is a TURD!! =)
Dude that thing was a turd! i could never own such a gutless bike!

I agree with most statements here. and even though that 250 felt like it had a briggs straton in it, my pro friend spanked me and my 500 on it, how it was done on such a slow bike is beyond me, but hey last week i got dusted off by some kid on a 125 so i guess that says somthing right there.

What i love about motorcycle riding, street and dirt is that it is 75 percent (or more) rider talent that makes a guy fast NOT the machine. Some guys get it done one way, others show up with a completely different bike and style and still haul the mail. That tells me that if I continue to work on fitness, technique and suspension i too can be fast as shit, whether its on the big 5, turd of a 250 or a clapped out 125. Ride what you want to ride and enjoy. I love this sport.
mike hunt

Post by mike hunt »

Riding a 500 in the tight stuff is a workout but passing and losing guys on new 300's or a dialed in woods bike is great. It's not the bike it's the rider. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Lifting heavy and doing cardio goes a long way when on a 500af. Last year i did a 4 hour hare scramble and stopped once for gas. I broke the clutch lever at the 2 hour mark but still rode on. One lap was 9 kms long. Finished the race in 7th position out of 28 guys. Anyone can ride the big five you just need a little practice some balls and some fitness. Some of these new 4 strokes are way to technical with sensors and this and that. I'll keep passing these wanna be fuckers on my af and laugh as i go by. BBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAPPPP!
yaya

Post by yaya »

I agree with Mike Fitness and practice. Spend some bucks on your suspension and dial it in. Try a FWW, you may love it and cure your problems. Don't let people fool you, the cr500 rips with the FWW. If I know I am riding tight stuff I ride the GasGas. In the desert, my buddies were leaving me in the dust on the 300. I would kick their ass on trails and hills but on the long straights I was ass out. Said to myself to hell with that and bought a 500 the next week. We fight about the 500-450 at work all the time. I say spend 2 grand on your 450 and what do you got? Not much more bike. Spend the 2 grand on your 500 and HOLY SHIT you have low vibe dragster that handles like a Porche! :cool:
BBB!
Bikes, Broads, Beer.
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Hey Danny what about just running a 250t, I've got a gen3 250 with the older motor ('00) and it rocks. I dont care for the case reed motors although I hear KTM is doing wonders with them.