Gaerne SG-10 Boots

Good Purchase? Paper Weight? Speak Up!!!
mxracr121

Gaerne SG-10 Boots

Post by mxracr121 »

I bought some new boots this week since the soles on my Alpinestars Tech 8's kept falling off, and I was getting tired of replacing the stupid things every month. I kept putting getting new boots off, becuase I hate breaking new boots in. Anyway, I went with the Gaerne's after hearing many, many good things about them. These things are awesome! NO break-in time required. They felt like I had been wearing them for ever. Not a single missed shift, or accidental brake check. Love em', 10 out of 10, 5 stars, two thumbs up, whatever. :D

Oh yeah, and at $309 from Motosport.com , about $50 less then the Tech 8's.
Too much of a puss for a 500!

www.approvedpainting.net
TJC510

Post by TJC510 »

i bought some about a year ago and i love them. they feel now just like they did when i bought them. they feel like tennis shoes compared to the SIDIs or the alpinestars ive had in the past. i feel they are the best boot money can buy.
TJ
2005 cr500af
2008 300XC/w
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

I've had mine for about three years now. Still in great shape.
TYSTYX

Post by TYSTYX »

I got some SG-10's about 5 months ago and I absolutlely love them. The no break-in period was awesome and even though they are the heaviest boot on the market I dont notice the weight when wearing them.

The only complaint I have is that sometimes I snag the bottom of the shin plates on my foot pegs.
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

TYSTYX wrote:The only complaint I have is that sometimes I snag the bottom of the shin plates on my foot pegs.
See Avatar for how to. :lol:

But ya only prob I had was letting the shifter down enough to pick up the next gear.
Blusmbl

Post by Blusmbl »

I bought a pair of SG-10's from ebay, turns out they were last year's model or something because the colors are slightly different (heel area is white instead of black), other than that they were brand new and didn't have any defects for $259. I think you can buy the current model year ones for $279 from many different sellers on ebay as well.

I rode in them for the first time yesterday, and I can't stress enough how awesome these boots are. Like previously mentioned, the ankle area is a slight bit tight (I probably had them adjusted as such), but they're incredibly comfortable and look to be about 1000x more durable than my old Fox Trackers. I think I made it at most 2 laps around my friend's practice track before I could shift the bike proficiently, as opposed to a whole day of riding with my old boots. The gel/foam/whatever lining is wonderful as well.
smokindodge

Post by smokindodge »

do these boots fit pretty true to size, I know I have to buy my Oneal's 1 size bigger. Rocky Mountain has a hell of a deal on Gaerne Cypher boots in their closeout section, does anyone have the Cypher's? What do you think?
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much"...... John Wayne
Blusmbl

Post by Blusmbl »

I have no experience with the Cyphers, although from what I hear on Thumpertalk they're an excllent entry-level boot.

Regards to sizing, if anything they run a little large. I wear a 13 in most everything, and these have a bit more room than I expected. I'm definitely not complaining, though.
ISBB

Post by ISBB »

Hodge they are very close to shoe size measurements.. :D The great thing about sg-10's is they are awesome boots for us folk with gigantic calves.. :D I have a hard time finding boots i can fit into but the sg-10's fit around my calves perfectly.. Im right at 19" around at the thickets part of my calves.. :D damn bmx riding and football playin as a kid.
97 Steel 500 that wants to be an AFC
crashing_sux

Post by crashing_sux »

I had a set of SG-10s and while they were very comfortable two rides after I got them the foot peg snagged on the external hinge and ripped it out of the boot. It was molded in and when I called Gaerne they said they couldn't do anything for me, that I just had to buy another set of boots.

So I did, Alpinestars, and I will never buy a Gaerne product again. Too bad about the flimsy hinge design and the fact that they won't stand behind them. Not sure if ripping the hinge out on the footpeg was a fluke or not but there is no excuse for such poor customer service on such an expensive set of boots a month after I bought them.
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

Gaerne makes the most comfortable performance boot available.

mine fit like a custom pair, but they are off the rack. :wink:

true to size also.
rpeterson

Post by rpeterson »

I have been running Gaerne for 5 years. Just got the SG-12 about a month ago and it's the best boot I have ever had. The 12 fits a little wider than the 10 and has a few different features. No break in time needed. Either boot is a great purchase and alot better than a Alpinestar IMO. :D

RP
crashing_sux

Post by crashing_sux »

I forgot to mention, they are wide. Back when I bought them the reason I bought them was that I was fat, 6'2" 250lbs. My feet were so fat I couldn't fit into AlpineStars or a few other brands I tried, but the Gaernes fit wonderfully. Most comfortable boot I could find. I was wearing wide width shoes at the time too.

Fast forward a year and I weigh 50lbs less. Now the Alpinestars are more comfortable and I no longer wear wide shoes. So, long story short try them on instead of reading reviews. If you have normal sized feet they may not be snug enough, but if you have a little wider foot they are the best thing going, as long as you don't snag that external ankle hinge on a peg. I did check out some of the Sidi boots and they have the external hinge but it's molded in a way where I just can't see a peg catching it so that could be a feature to look for as well.
caseyracing222

Post by caseyracing222 »

The best boots Ive ever owned are the Forma dominator boots (most of you have probably never heard of them) but they have a colapsable front and back, little booties, they come broke in and have adjusters on the heel to adjust how hard or soft your annkle can pivot, also they look bitchin. unfortunatly they dont sell them in the us anymore (Its a bummer because mine are looking a little tired after 2 years) but all you UK guys out there should try them. they go for around 280 us dollars. I have found some places on the web that sell them internationally :wink:
-Jake