Gen 3 125/250 Lower Shock Bearing

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
robertg

Gen 3 125/250 Lower Shock Bearing

Post by robertg »

I have two shock linkage assemblies from from Gen 3 bikes, and both of them need the lower shock bearings replaced. Is this a poor design from the factory, or is lack of maintenance destroying the bearings? The both looked a little dry and I don't know the history of the bikes they came off of.

Has anyone tried a different type of bearing? I would like to try a sealed double row ball bearing, but I don't know if it would handle the load? Honda must of used they style bearing for a reason you would think. The bearing is 26mm id and 10mm id.
4Z

Post by 4Z »

The manual says to use paste instead of the usual grease. I plan on just maintaining it often.
robertg

Post by robertg »

4Z wrote:The manual says to use paste instead of the usual grease. I plan on just maintaining it often.
What's paste? Is it some thick grease? I just bought the OEM bearing and lubed it up with Bel Ray waterproof grease. It is possible to use two 6000 series bearings instead of the Honda bearing, but I don't think they could handle the load.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Robert, since you were here and we talked about that bearing i was moving my bro's 04 250 in my garage and sure as heck that thing is tight with no squat cuz of that dammn bearing beeing siezed
DesertCR

Post by DesertCR »

Would you be willing to part with one, I need one for my Gen 3.
robertg

Post by robertg »

DesertCR wrote:Would you be willing to part with one, I need one for my Gen 3.
One was a little banged up on the bottom and needs a shock bearing.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i tore mine apart a week or 2 ago and it was in great shape. you guys have poor maintenance from the previos owners
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

That, and mine is ridden is creeks, and bush not dry tracks. first look at the 87 500 i got from cali and you could tell the climate.

I'm certain i know what did the 2 of mine in, we were riding them in a parade and handing out candy from them when it started to rain like unreal, so we ripped arround the rest of town on the slick streets in 2" of water or more for an hour. was worth wrecking a front and rear millville, and that bearing, but for sure if it had been torn down that night it wouldnt have been a problem