Curing handle bar vibration?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

my point exactly, excessive vibes are usually a sign of a problem, but it could easily keep running for 10 years like that.
:wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

and break pipes, mounts, loosen bolts.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

does alunimum vibrate more than steel ?
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

aluminum is more rigid, so I'd guess so...
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Vibration has to do with the material, and frequency at which it naturally excites.

Jet engines have TREMENDOUS vibration, its just at such a high frequency we dont perceive it.

Generally, the heavier and and more elastic some thing is , low lower the frequency it resonates at.

The reverse is also true...

For a vibe free CR500, you want the engine, frame, subframe, exhaust, and everything else to be monolithic.....

Once something starts buzzing.... it all buzzes.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

AlisoBob wrote:Brit rode all through AZ with a shattered piston, failing tranny, massive and cooling system corrosion.

He never suspected a thing....

:roll:
dont forget dumont or was it glamis?- coolant disapeared somehow and head was hitting the piston, i think he suspect it after a hour or 2 :lol: . im not really making fun of him but its alittle bit funny :lol: :lol:
asteroid500

Post by asteroid500 »

there are many high end trippleclamps with interchangable rubber bushings to ajust the chassis dynamics of your bike.
add to that some very soft hand grips that you may need to change every 2nd meeting but are well worth it.

also in 250 production road race bikes we used to shim the motor to the chassis with high tensile shims that realy helped, i will be doing this in my GEN1 build.

or you could just simply put a tea spoon of concrete in your coffee and "HARDEN THE FUCK UP" :twisted:

LMAOA :D
"not speeding officer".....qualifying

CR250 97
CR500 AF 99 (in progress)
CR500 AF CR G-4
CR500 1985 true legend
RGV250 96 X2
GSXR600 07 TRACK BIKE
VH Commadore cup car (race)
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

asteroid500 wrote:there are many high end trippleclamps with interchangable rubber bushings to ajust the chassis dynamics of your bike.
add to that some very soft hand grips that you may need to change every 2nd meeting but are well worth it.

also in 250 production road race bikes we used to shim the motor to the chassis with high tensile shims that realy helped, i will be doing this in my GEN1 build.

or you could just simply put a tea spoon of concrete in your coffee and "HARDEN THE FUCK UP" :twisted:

LMAOA :D

I like the last line! :lmao:
juddy

Post by juddy »

Has anyone already mentioned balancing the crank V's piston ? Adding weights to crank somehow.Thats what the guy that has built 11 winning 'Finke Desert Race' CR500 engines does,among lots of other shit.
zorak-2

Post by zorak-2 »

K here is my input on the vib issue.on my 91 it has the vibes real bad and halfway through a ride my hands are numb :( .i bought the inserts from faast what a waist made no difference put silicone in the bars nothing still had the bad vibes.i have hand gaurds also pro tapers i dont know if that makes difference but nothing has helped.my next step is when i can muster up enough cash motor is coming apart and every bearing will be replaced,crank and rod will be trued and balanced and tack weld so it will not rotate.

in my own opinion i think over the years i think the crank halfs get out of sequince thus causing vibration.i might be wrong but i had a yz125 that the crank got press to gether and it was not true and had the vibes also.so thats just my theary on the subject.
This site rocks
GEN 4 CRF500
_joshua_

Post by _joshua_ »

CRF450R SuperMotard.
CR500AF SuperMotard under construction.
bulitnv

Post by bulitnv »

Another nod for Fastco's Flex Bars. I had them on my last AF and will be putting them on my current AF as well.

They do take several rides to get used to. Several times I was close to yardsale before I began to trust the feel of the flex bars.

Chris
2007 CRF450R
2002 CR500AF Service Honda
1971 Yamaha CT-1
1971 Honda CT-70
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

i really dont see where the vibe complaints come from. i have never ridden any machine that bothered me as far as vibes go, but then again i grew up riding rattly-as-fuck mini bikes......
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
mega491

Post by mega491 »

Not sure if someone already suggested it but a cheap and easy thing to try also is a flywheel weight in the heavy range.

If it were me and I were going to be riding in the upper RPM range alot on a 1/2 mile oval I would change the balance factor in the crank. The stock factor is for MX which is alot of off idle thru mid to upper mid RPM and short bursts into the upper range. Consult with a crank expert for accurate info but my guess is a balance factor of around 60% for a single cylinder 2 stroke is the range that smoothes out the higher RPM vibration but will increase the vibes in the lower RPMs. You need to adjust the factor for the "sweet" spot at a higher RPM.

If a bike vibrates badly and equally at all RPMs something is wrong. Possibly out of true. If anyone tapped on the crank to install it or a sprocket, dropped it or something it could be out of true. Some are bad from the factory.

Mega491

GenIII 500
Maicos
& more
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

just an idea - but has anyone just loosened the rubber handle bar mounts that go thru the upper tripple? I mean not loose to the point where its wobbly - but just enough to allow some flex...The nuts are nylocks so they will not loosen further either.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

NightBiker07 wrote:i really dont see where the vibe complaints come from. i have never ridden any machine that bothered me as far as vibes go, but then again i grew up riding rattly-as-fuck mini bikes......
X2....WTF is the big deal?
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

...if you own an AC Cobra 427 do you complain that its got a lopey idle and vibrates A LOT on the way from zero-100-zero in 12 seconds? Doubtful! Isn't an AF pretty much the same thing? :roll: :lol:
CR500AC widget maker
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

x2 :lol:
my stealth chatters my teeth over every bump, but it'll do over a full lateral G... same idea :D
my gen'1 vibes pretty bad, but it being the stupid fast hill shooting bike, I have no intention of doing anything about it.
my gen-3 on the otherhand will be a mellow trail bike and super comfy, so it got a brand new crank.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

ShanMan wrote:...if you own an AC Cobra 427 do you complain that its got a lopey idle and vibrates A LOT on the way from zero-100-zero in 12 seconds? Doubtful! Isn't an AF pretty much the same thing? :roll: :lol:
Nobody I know rides a 500 because of it's civility......it's really all about measuring your dick against guys who ride less displacent...albeit slower bikes, and worse yet, those silk-smooth, Chernoybl-based thumpers! :twisted:
CR500AC widget maker
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

This belongs in the same folder as " I cant start my bike"...

Even notice that when you chop the throttle, the "vibs" go away?

Much of what your feeling is "power impulse", not all vibration.

Detune about 25 hp out of your bike, and it will all go away.

:roll:
exackery

Just different

Post by exackery »

I just got the AF last fall using the same motor I've been running since 2000 (original crank/bearings steahly weight (7oz)). The AF is a lot different than the steelie. Quite a bit less vibes at idle and quarter throttle-ish. When you do fast fireroading mostly 4th 5th gear stuff I think the AF vibrates more, Well, maybe not more but differently than the steelie --> i notice it. Could be more a case of used to the old feelings and not the new ones yet
big_bore_500

Post by big_bore_500 »

Thanks for all the useful suggestions eg. quit being a pussy, harden the fuck up (my personal favorite lol) By the 2nd last race I decided to pull of the wheels and balance them. The rear wheel took 6 oz. :shock: and the front took 4 oz. What a difference! 85% better. was able to the 3 hrs. no problem. I should of thought of this sooner, with 500+ screws and the inner liner these wheels are close to 50 pounds a piece that is a massive amount of rotating weight at 80+ mph. Think i might even try this on the summer wheels. Although summer speeds tend to be quite a bit slower.
2005 T2 CR500R