Gen 3 CR125 Build

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

awesome pics man...way to go!!
robertg

Post by robertg »

Picture day again. I hooked up the 500 ignition, but it didn't have spark. I think it's the cdi. So the running rebuilt motor that I bought needs a CDI to go with the rebuild. I have a 250 ignition that I will have to use now.

I also bought a new set or Excel Pro Series wheels and Dunlop tires. The spokes were pretty loose and the runout was more that that I thought it should be. After two evenings, the wheels are within 0.025" both ways.

Here's the 250 coil mounted

Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

WOW!!! beautiful frame and beautiful craftsmanship, 100% amazing dirt bike! Hey Robertg is that shock a 125 Kayaba shock? i just checked my new Kayaba out today and it's alot longer then the 250/450 shocks, looks like it makes your bike sit up extra high...i'm hoping mine does the same thing for me...BEAUTIFUL!
robertg

Post by robertg »

Balaclava wrote:WOW!!! beautiful frame and beautiful craftsmanship, 100% amazing dirt bike! Hey Robertg is that shock a 125 Kayaba shock? i just checked my new Kayaba out today and it's alot longer then the 250/450 shocks, looks like it makes your bike sit up extra high...i'm hoping mine does the same thing for me...BEAUTIFUL!
It's the the stock KYB. It does sit a little high because the stand is a little short.

How's your conversion coming? I might have this thing running next week. To bad it's still -30 outside.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

robertg wrote:How's your conversion coming? I might have this thing running next week. To bad it's still -30 outside.
it's going good i'm almost finished i just have alot of parts on hold...i'm waiting for my PC exhaust system (pipe and silencer) that i ordered from TTM Mike and i just had a convo with him yesturday and he's been really busy so it still might take a little while, i also ordered one of mikes custom billet TTM tripple clamps, so that'll be an awesome addition to my bike...Just figured out the decal kit i'm going to order and then it's just a matter of putting my engine back together (just changed all crank seals), and i should be good to go within the month...

Congrats on your build man, it's very very beautiful and as far as craftsmanship goes, this is one of the best looking builds i've EVER seen, i'm proud of you brother! :cool:

p.s. it's -30 but it FEELS like -40!! haha can't wait to ride with you this summer!
robertg

Post by robertg »

So I got my 2000 CR250 ignition back from the machinist today and mounted it. I put some gas in the bike and gave it about 10 kicks with runners on. I have a problem with my ankle so I couldn't kick it very hard so it didn't even fire.

About 20 minutes later I threw on my MX boots to see if it was easier to start. I gave it a light kick to see how it feels and it fired right up first kick. It just sat there and idled perfect. I put it on the side stand and it took off across the room, so it does vibrate a bit. The vibration doesn't feel terrible through the bars but it is there.

After it got pretty hot, I stopped it and tried to start it again. It took a few kicks but I don't think it's going to be a hard starter.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

sounds identical to the first time i started my bike...it's awesome man...
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

by the way robert i got that picture up as my desktop backround and my cpu is hooked up to my plasma and it's like a piece of beautiful art in my house...i've shown this bike to a bunch of people and they all think it's retaarrddded...good job...
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Looks Dammn Good!

:( mine is still a mess of parts, too many irons in the fire to assemble it yet. I've got all the mods done except exhaust hangers. Have a carb set aside for it, but am working on maybee a different one, engine doesnt have a bolt in it yet, actually i'm not set on which one i'm using til i see that '87 bike i got coming from cali. In the last few weeks i've been getting alot of bike stuff done tho, milled a coulple of stator plates, lowered a 97 250 5mm in the chassis with eccentric bushings, working on a 1.5" extention for that bikes swingarm, milled a bunch of junk for the '05 250f chassis, assembled mine with the dummy engine and tore it down again, Installed a 2moto radix track and ski kit with a member on his 97 500af. been hammering out a whack of decompressor heads, and then theres the actual work i'm dooing here too. I bet i dont get to ride the dammn thing til i'm sitting at the bottom of the hill in Billings MT, farming is going to happen real quick, and we have to build a new pad in our bin yard for 2 giant grain bins we're puting up.

Robert, if your work gets you out to the new instilation at the Miami Colony, i'm only 1 mile west of there, give me a call maybee you should bring the bike out, altho my AF aint ready, theres a few more horses in the stable.
robertg

Post by robertg »

I have a few hours on it now, just driving up and down my road. I thought it would be more powerful, maybe when I actually take it off road that will change. I rode my friend's stock CRF450, and the 500 feels tame compared to it. We might go for a real ride on Sunday but there still may be snow on the trails.

The bike starts really good, idles well, and the vibration isn't that bad. It seems to vibrate less now that it has a few hours on it.

This is a recent picture with the new suspension, seat, and bars.

davo77

Post by davo77 »

[quote="robertg"] I thought it would be more powerful, maybe when I actually take it off road that will change. I rode my friend's stock CRF450, and the 500 feels tame compared to it.

Ha ha,i thought the same thing when i first rode mine.... then i took it to a mx track :shock:

anyways, sweet bike man, gen3's come out CLEAN !!!
where did ya pick up the ohlins from? let us know how they go
robertg

Post by robertg »

davo77 wrote: Ha ha,i thought the same thing when i first rode mine.... then i took it to a mx track :shock:

anyways, sweet bike man, gen3's come out CLEAN !!!
where did ya pick up the ohlins from? let us know how they go
I bought the Ohlins shock and forks off eBay for $500.00. I never really rode the bike with the stock stuff, so I can't compare the two.

I don't think I will ever hit a MX track, but you never know. I had a dirt bike for a year in the early 80's, and I just got back in to it last year. My other bike is a Husqvarna TE450. It's more of a trail bike.
robertg

Post by robertg »

I just got back from a ride. I was on some quad trails and in the gravel pits. The last thing I need is more power, it's way too much bike for me, but it's a lot of fun.

I'm still trying to dial in the jetting. The only problem is when I let off the throttle and glide, the bike still fires about once every second. It kind of surges.

I have a 38 PWK, 172 main and a 48 pilot. The bike has a stock cylinder with a Rad valve and a FMF gnarly. The ignition is 01 CR250.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

so is it plulsing when you are stopped and flash the throttle?
does it come down off its max rpm with 3-4 clear fires before reaching idle, or come down with 10 or more half-hearted drawn out attempts to catch its rpm?
robertg

Post by robertg »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:so is it plulsing when you are stopped and flash the throttle?
does it come down off its max rpm with 3-4 clear fires before reaching idle, or come down with 10 or more half-hearted drawn out attempts to catch its rpm?
I would say 3-4 clear fires but I'm going to ride it and double check. I know it does it when I am going 30-50 mph and let off the throttle with the clutch in.

It doesn't do it when I am stopped and flash the throttle. It did that a bit when I had a 42 pilot, but that was a little lean.