CR250R with bad crank bearings.

All Engine, Clutch, Chains, and Sprockets Stuff Here.
xr680r

CR250R with bad crank bearings.

Post by xr680r »

I have a kid up the street come by all happy he got a CR250R and wanted to know how to fix it. Took the jug off that there is lots of play in the crank. Long story but, he got screwed. What would it cost to bring this guys engine back to snuff? Who can do it for him close by? So. Cal. Mr. Lewis you have anyone that can do it for him? He will have to pay first.
www.borynack.com/XR650R
Jesus is the Only Way, the Truth and He is Life!
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

bob would gladly lend you a hand i bet. and i hear he just got a new set of tools from brit :lmao:

lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I have yet to split the cases on a bike but I hear its not to bad, any bike shop can do it . if he takes the motor out I am sure it wont be to exspensive.
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
dahondaboy

Post by dahondaboy »

i work at a kawasaki / arctic cat dealership and i know it would cost minimum of 300 for that type of job, and no, splitting cases isnt hard at all if you go buy a book. but some shops can really rape you on that kind of work. we just had a kx-250 we did the crank bearings,seals rod thrust washers, piston and bore and hone gaskets ect. he paid 642.00 to get it back. and that bike in my opinion didnt need a rod yet but we did it anyway under the customers order. lol btw my shop manager told him he got a good deal
i dont own assault rifles, i own homeland defense rifles!!!!
xr680r

Post by xr680r »

I have split the cases on bikes engines a few times...... I think I miss getting what is needed here.....

He wants the engine rebiult and I don't want to do it, I don't even have the time to finish the second CR500R engine I split the cases on a few months ago. He wanted me to do it but, I said, no and was looking for someone that would do it for him and how much for the whole bottom crank bearing job, or the whole thing (top and bottom). He needs to know how much so he can have the money ahead of time.

I am still looking for the time to put together the CR500R that I am taking to the Goler Ride in April. Have everything ready, just need to get out in the shop and turn the wrench.
www.borynack.com/XR650R
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

I heard you where asking about drilling holes in cast pistions?
yes you can!

what size pistion if its 0.040 over ill take it
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
xr680r

Post by xr680r »

I stirred it up again over on the other post I started about the Pro X honing. I didn't drill a ton of holes, just four down the exhaust side for the bridge and the big one on the intake side. It is forty over 90mm. I have new one also. Can your engine guy fix this bike for this kid? Or TREEMTRUBBLE ? Mike you have time?

It's a 2000 CR250R, maybe a AF prodject if he can't get it fixed :cool:
www.borynack.com/XR650R
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

im pretty sure jerry hall told me one time he charges around $400 to split cases and install new bearings and im sure thats just labor cost but i could be wrong, but he will do the job right. i definatly would NOT send it to a dealer, unless you know the mechanic personaly and he is knowledgable with cr250/500
Last edited by 100hp honda on February 24th, 2009, 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

why do you point him towards the honda shop
97af

Post by 97af »

I'll send him wood crate to bolt the bottom end into to send back to me.
$ 290.00 + parts will get a crate to him and a good bottom end back.Here is the last 500 bottom end. Brand spankin new......

"A good friend will come bail you out of jail, A TRUE friend will be sitting next to saying, DAMN THAT WAS FUN"
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

$290 seems like good price for labor and shipping costs
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

right on Mike, Bruce I would take him up on that !
ya got to love the love on this site :cool:
xr680r

Post by xr680r »

Yes, I will tell the kid. Maybe if he doesn't get it together I will have a nother prodject to sit around and not get done.
www.borynack.com/XR650R
xr680r

Post by xr680r »

How about a used running CR250R engine? Anyone selling one of those that was left over from an AF convertion?
www.borynack.com/XR650R
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

why you want new engine ? i thought yours only needed crank bearings ?
xr680r

Post by xr680r »

It's not mine ....well, not yet, He is only a teen and short on money. With the bottom and top end he is looking at around $1K and thought he might pickup a running engine cheaper.
www.borynack.com/XR650R
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

xr680r wrote:It's not mine ....well, not yet, He is only a teen and short on money. With the bottom and top end he is looking at around $1K and thought he might pickup a running engine cheaper.
and then rebuild that a week later when he grenades the "low hour" ebay motor? :roll:

rebuild it. PM teemtrubble. or ship it to 97AF.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

it sounds like your unsure of exactly what needs to be rebuilt. if its just a few bearings need replaced, thats a minor job. if the whole bottom end is junk, then you may be better with a new motor. i would inspect it before making any decisions but thats just me
Nodge

Post by Nodge »

Ive got a good running 99 CR 250 motor.
Not really keen on shipping it across the border though. $$$$
(Im in Canadia)
Yah, I'm from Saskatchetoon!

MRE 02 250/500 conversion, pulse injector, twirp porting, coolhead, MRE ignition, blah blah blah blah... www.millarengines.com