First ride on new bike

WTF Happened!!!!
kevinp242

First ride on new bike

Post by kevinp242 »

So i bought 01 cr5af. Yesterday i went out to a buddies private track. I have rode a lot of cr500's in the stock frames. But this is the first one ii rode that's in a 250 frame. Well let me tell ya that is the best handling bike with tons of power :o. I came home and decided i should do a compression test to see what it is it. Well unfortunately i was down to about 90psi. So now im tearing it all down so i can rebuild before the Hairscramble coming up. But i was so impressed on how it was on the track. Thanks to everyone on here guys.

Kevin
britincali

Post by britincali »

Compression ratings are overrated, if it starts and runs good and the piston has no cracks just run it :wink:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
kevinp242

motor

Post by kevinp242 »

yea im getting ready to pull the motor out and pull the jug off of it and take a look at it. Why i have to cylinder off of it i think im going to do a little porting to it!!!!!! Why not hahaha.. But wow do i love that bike.
britincali

Post by britincali »

Just pull then intake manifold and reeds to check the intake side of the piston for cracks, if theres none then button her back up and ride :cool:
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

britincali wrote:Compression ratings are overrated, if it starts and runs good and the piston has no cracks just run it :wink:
yep. i never checked bone stock motor but i doubt its much over 100psi maybe 120 range. 90-100psi is more than plenty
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

britincali wrote:Just pull then intake manifold and reeds to check the intake side of the piston for cracks, if theres none then button her back up and ride :cool:
Yup....
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

8:1 is stock isent it
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

6.8:1 is stock but were talking about cylinder pressure
south central hoon

Post by south central hoon »

100hp honda wrote:
britincali wrote:Compression ratings are overrated, if it starts and runs good and the piston has no cracks just run it :wink:
yep. i never checked bone stock motor but i doubt its much over 100psi maybe 120 range. 90-100psi is more than plenty
mine blew 143 last time i check it, and my ring gap is huge.... 38 thousandths. :shock:

90 sounds pretty tired to me.
Last edited by south central hoon on February 8th, 2009, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

.008 gap ? :o :cool:

like i said i just guessed at 120 because i never checked stock motor before. mines at 100 and seems to run fine, i wanted it higher but i raised the exhaust port too much and miscalculated how much to mod the head. next time i take it apart ill pay more attention to what im doing. if the piston is slapping or cracked then obviously he should tear it down for new topend. but im thinking the same as brit, if nothing is cracked or slapping around then keep running it

i forgot to say everything is new in my topend. i raised the exhaust too high is why its at 100psi
Last edited by 100hp honda on February 8th, 2009, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

south central hoon wrote:
100hp honda wrote:
mine blew 143 last time i check it, and my ring gap is huge.... 8 thousandths. :shock:

It should be .004 per inch of bore yours is undersize Jeff
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
south central hoon

teemtrubble wrote:
south central hoon wrote:
100hp honda wrote: yep. i never checked bone stock motor but i doubt its much over 100psi maybe 120 range. 90-100psi is more than plenty
mine blew 143 last time i check it, and my ring gap is huge.... 38 thousandths. :shock:

It should be .004 per inch of bore yours is undersize Jeff
i fixed it mike...

that topend has about 50 hours on it.

Honda Service Manual:
Piston ring end gap: Standard -0.3-0.5 (.012-.020)
Service limit: .02 (0.02)
mine: (.038)
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

were they installed too large to begin with ? .038 is fuggin huge man, that would have me alittle nervous. you might have the wrong size rings on there maybe :shock: . i re-ringed mine not long ago, after getting the wrong rings the first time, i re-ordered the correct ones and put gap at .016
MojoScojo

Re: motor

Post by MojoScojo »

kevinp242 wrote:Why i have to cylinder off of it i think im going to do a little porting to it!!!!!! Why not hahaha..
I would NOT recommend this until you've had a chance to get to know the 500.

But don't listen to us. We don't know shit.
No longer have a CR500.
07 Yamaha YZ250, 17 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
Get on with riding or get on with dying.
https://www.youtube.com/mojoscojo
south central hoon

100hp honda wrote:were they installed too large to begin with ? .038 is fuggin huge man, that would have me alittle nervous. you might have the wrong size rings on there maybe :shock: . i re-ringed mine not long ago, after getting the wrong rings the first time, i re-ordered the correct ones and put gap at .016
yeah, it rattles around a bit, but i figure it will hold on a while longer, i am running a 2nd over OEM piston. the bike runs hard, i just pulled the top end to put that motor in my GEN 1, i wouldn't have even known otherwise. :whoop:
100hp honda

Re: motor

Post by 100hp honda »

MojoScojo wrote:
kevinp242 wrote:Why i have to cylinder off of it i think im going to do a little porting to it!!!!!! Why not hahaha..
I would NOT recommend this until you've had a chance to get to know the 500.

But don't listen to us. We don't know shit.
the dude wants to go faster. whats the harm in that ? not everyone is a old trail rider :lol:
kevinp242

Post by kevinp242 »

alright so i got the motor out of the bike tonight and torn down. It is pretty torn up on the exhaust side. I believe it is on its last bore but im not sure. Does any one know how big wiseco goes on the pistons. Stock bore is 89mm i believe. So im dropping the top end off tomorrow at my machinist's shop. And he is also going to gasket match everything.... So here are a couple pics of it so far.

Kevin

south central hoon

90 psi= tired ass top end. that piston is scuffed fo sho. no lube holes...tell your machinist to relieve that exhaust bridge.
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Wiseco Catalog page
Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
LAYNFRM

Post by LAYNFRM »

south central hoon wrote:90 psi= tired ass top end. that piston is scuffed fo sho. no lube holes...tell your machinist to relieve that exhaust bridge.
lube holes?
05 CR500AF Plated Supermotard/dual sport
01 XR650R Plated Supermotard
07 CRF80 mini-motard w/115 big bore
08 Polaris RZR
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

the wiseco paper work shows to drill some holes in the piston for oiling where the exhaust bridge is.
no point in gasket matching, either port it or don't, but these things run great stock, as soon as you modify the porting, tuning becomes a nightmare.
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
kevinp242

Post by kevinp242 »

yea i appreciate the help guys. I dropped the cylinder off at the machinist's house and it should be done by friday. So that means i need a case of red bull so i can get it together and tune it saturday. :) And the new piston i am going to relieve the exhaust side of the piston. Also why i have the motor out im going to replace main seals.

But one thing i do need to find is a Right side radiator for a '01 CR250. Any one know where i could find one?? So my roommate did not tell me but my bike fell off the stand and crushed the radiator.

Thanks

Kevin
hagendog

Post by hagendog »

Honda of Troy had them for $118 and I believe Bob has a hook up with someone. They go for more than that on Ebay used.
south central hoon

kevinp242 wrote: i am going to relieve the exhaust side of the piston. Kevin
:shock: :shock:

Woah....don't go grinding on that piston!!!!!!! relieve the exhaust bridge in the cylinder and drill holes in the piston....