Kids under 12 bikes banned in the USA

Express YOUR point, no pissing matches.

List sources whenever possible!
jigggawatt

Kids under 12 bikes banned in the USA

Post by jigggawatt »

What a bunch of BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act will ban children's motorcycles
A Congressional act issued in response to last year's Chinese lead-tainted toys scandal could inadvertently end the sale of children's motorcycles like the popular Honda CRF50F. Honda and other members of the Motorcycle Industry Council are actively working to have such products omitted from the act, but with CPSIA coming into effect on February 10, they may not have time to do so.

This means that, baring action by Congress, the sale, display or promotion of any motorcycle intended primarily for children 12-years-old or younger will have to cease on February 10. This could massively effect dealers who have already invested in stock and advertising.

The letter points at that while Honda's paint contains "little or no lead," CPSIA also bans products that contain 600 parts per million of lead in any of their materials. Alloys used in the construction of motorcycles commonly contain small amounts of lead. CPSIA is intended to prevent the sale of lead containing items that could be ingested by a child. Even though most children we know don't eat motorcycles or ATVs, it fails to distinguish them from, say, a small toy.

took from another site
We received the official announcement from Yamaha yesterday... after 10 February, we cannot sell any "under 12" bikes or ATVs, they cannot be on the showroom floor, or even visible to customers. We cannot have advertisements for them, nor can we sell any parts for them. As we understand it, we cannot even do service on them and return them to the customer. It has been made clear that if we do not follow these rules we are subject to being charged under federal law.

We have received similar statements from Polaris and Bombardier (Can-Am). This affects approximately 20 units we currently have in stock- what are we supposed to do? It's like being told we now have nuclear waste on the property and it's our problem- and, oh yeah, we have to continue to pay to floor plan units we are not allowed to sell... wonderful situation to be in.

Post by Balaclava »

Is this global? cause i don't see this happening in Canada...I don't really know any little kids who ride crf50's, i know ALOT of adults who have them, i was actually thinking of buying one myself. They are hardcore fun and I had my first z50 when i was 3...IF little kids aren't allowed to ride bikes then motocross will be extinct in 5-10 years...People are getting so gay nowadays it's not even reasonable...
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

Its not in Canada, but look at it from Hondas perspective.
Canada has maybee 20% as many bikes sold as in the USA. Probably 1/4 of those bikes were shipped south while the dollar was poor. So now you have a tiny lil market with no where else to source the stuff so jack the price and blame it on a failing fiscal statement.

OR

The USA bannes the bikes, and Canada cant sell them into the usa, tough as getting a 3-wheeler up here. So now you have a whole underground of guys swapping parts and selling stuff as "scooter parts" which a majority of them interchange.

OR

Get your wallet out and prepare to run the mini moto. Gather as many lil NEW bikes as you can from dealers that are bent over the counter in the USA, and try to sell them in Canada.

But I know if i were a dealer and going to eat the cost of the inventory I had, I'd be getting them decaled as "pit bikes" or adult mini motos or something to find a loophole. "give" one away with the purchase of a 450cc+ bike or something
NightBiker07

Post by NightBiker07 »

bunch of royal fucking cocksuckers the government is....why the fuck dont we have shit like this put to a nationwide vote.......YES or NO on the ballot....fuck having all these liberal fucktards make our decisions.
2000 CR250, pipe, filter, Vforce

1980 XL80s
1969 Broncco TX-6

Natural selection favors Smart people, so nature selects morons to be slow and dumb for tigers and stuff too eat. But in our modern world there just aren't enough tigers.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Roostius_Maximus wrote:But I know if i were a dealer and going to eat the cost of the inventory I had, I'd be getting them decaled as "pit bikes" or adult mini motos or something to find a loophole. "give" one away with the purchase of a 450cc+ bike or something
That's what Winnipeg honda/yamaha was doing last year with the new yzf450's, they were giving away pw 50's with the purchase of a yzf450...that was almost incentive enough for me to buy one....but then i found a brand new 06 crf450 in grand forks for 4500$ off the showroom floor as opposed to the ridiculous canadian price of 8700$ for a new Yamaha...I hope mini bikes never die out...
mega491

Post by mega491 »

There is pending legislation coming out of the lib democrats in Oregon and Washington attempting to end or at least seriously limit the use of ORVs by anyone under 16. I wonder if this is an underhanded backdoor approach by same towards achieving that goal on the federal level.
dynodave

Post by dynodave »

mega491 wrote:There is pending legislation coming out of the lib democrats in Oregon and Washington attempting to end or at least seriously limit the use of ORVs by anyone under 16. I wonder if this is an underhanded backdoor approach by same towards achieving that goal on the federal level.
Yes. And it's absolute!
mega491

Post by mega491 »

Read this and follow the link to www.tomself.com and sign the letter to congress and the senate. The wacko greenie lib marxists are steeling our money under the pretense of stimulating the economy while at the same time are doing everything they can to destroy business and kill jobs in industry they don't like.

**URGENT**
>
> As of Tuesday, February 10th, 2009, the small powersports industry
> has all but been shut down. This affects not only dealers and new
> units but individuals all across the U.S. New and used units as
well
> as parts avilability for every used unit in the nation has been
> called under question. This issue is far reaching not only
> financially but also concerning safety. With the suspension of
proper
> sized ATV's and motorcycles suspended, young riders will be tempted
> to use improperly sized and built machines which could (but Lord
> willing won't) lead to severe injuries.
>
> There is a waiver now setting before the Consumer Product Safety
> Commission in Washington DC, but has not been acted upon as of yet.
> We need every available rider, Mother, Father, Grandmother,
>
> Grandfather, Aunt, Uncle and any relative, friend neighbor,
business
> or personal contact or any person who is a legal us citizen to get
> involved. They need to access this website, read the sample letter,
> type in their name and addresss then click the "send a letter on my
> behalf" icon below it. This will generate correspondence to all the
> committee members in Washington that are on the committee that
> oversee the commission that could act upon this. The commission
> members as well as my office will also receive copies of the
letters
> set so we can be the most effective voice we that we can. The sport
> as well as the industry is in turmoil and time is short. The future
> of small powersports is at risk! PLEASE ACT NOW!!
>
> SEND A LETTER TO THE U.S. CONGRESS
>
> Please go to: http://www.tomself.com/ If you would like them to
> send a letter to the United States Congress on your behalf and they
> will forward the following email to the Representatives and
Senators.
>
> Dear Representatives & Senators,
>
> The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) was signed into
> law on August 14th of last year after receiving broad support from
> both the House and Senate. I appreciate that this landmark
> legislation is intended to improve the safety of our nation's
> consumers and I support the CPSIA's goal of protecting children
from
> harmful substances. However, I am concerned about the potential
> unintended consequences of the legislation.
>
> One sector particularly affected by the new lead content standards,
> under section 101(a), is the off-highway vehicle industry. Under
the
> CPSC's interpretation of the CPSIA, engines, brakes, wheels, tires,
> and
> suspension parts on these vehicles must be tested and meet the
> lead standard due to remote concerns over lead exposure to children
> six years or older. While the law provides some exclusions for
> inaccessible components and also authorizes the CPSC to grant
> exemptions under certain conditions, to date the CPSC has not done
so
> for products in the off-highway vehicle industry. This situation
has
> resulted in HUGE inventories of products - which present no health
> risk to children - to be rendered retroactively illegal, and
> prohibits the future sale of these products because all available
> exemptions have yet to be clarified.
>
> Off-highway vehicle recreation is enjoyed by all ages and
contributes
> significantly to the national economy. I thus urge the CPSC to
grant
> the petition for temporary exclusions submitted by the snowmobile,
> ATV, and off-highway motorcycle industry.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Theyd better not go so far as to block my kids 50's at the border so he cant ride in the hillclimb! BASTARDS!
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

So did this pass or what's the deal? I haven't heard anything about this until I read this here. Our local S/K/Y dealer still has the small bikes on the floor.
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

I just got the word that its going to be "in review" for a year yet
jigggawatt

Post by jigggawatt »

Email that was sent to me . It's easy to send the letter off. I understand parts sales are also banned. With two 85's I'm pissed. Still banned at this time.

Help Protect Youth OHVs! Stop the Ban of Youth Motorcycles and ATVs! Take Action!

Write your Representatives and the Consumer Product Safety Commission Today!

On August 14th, 2008, Congress passed the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA). Intended to make children's everyday toys safer, the rule governing implementation of the act threatens to end youth off-highway vehicle (OHV) riding entirely.
According to section 101(a) of the enacted legislation, all youth products containing lead must have less than 600 parts per million (ppm) by weight. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) has interpreted the law to apply to various components of youth OHVs including the engine, brakes, suspension, battery and other mechanical parts. Even though the lead levels in these parts are small, they are still above the minimum threshold.
The unavailability of youth OHVs will devastate family OHV recreation and cripple amateur competition, creating a domino effect across all aspects of motorized recreation.
In order to assure continued availability and access to youth OHVs, the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) and Specialty Vehicle Industry Association (SVIA) submitted petitions to the CPSC asking that certain vehicles be excluded from the final rule governing the law.
It is critical that Congress and the CPSC know the petition exists and that they act on it to maintain a vital form of recreation for American families, preserve youth racing and protect the thousands of jobs associated with this industry.
Please write or call your Representative and the CPSC today and ask them to approve the petition to exclude youth OHVs from the CPSIA lead content requirements.
You can send your Representative a letter by using the 'Take Action' option. To contact the CPSC directly, use their contact form by clicking here. http://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/info.aspx

and a second link.

Youth Motorcycles/ATVs Sales Banned by Government!

Yes you read that right! Our lovely government has put a ban on all sales of minicycles for children under the age of 13 as a result of the lead content in the machines (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, Title I, Section 101). Don't believe us? Go run to your local dealer and try to find any youth bike on the showroom floor. Crazy I know! In a nut shell the government is categorizing a youth motorcycle/atv right next to a children's play toy.

Now don't get me wrong we are all for child safety, and would never want to see little tommy swallow his matchbox car... But SERIOUSLY!? How often do kids really try to eat their atvs these days?

Think about it this way. Imagine if motocross superstar James Stewart couldn't start riding a dirtbike until age 13... That guy is the man, but do you really think he would be as great as he is today starting at a later age? Or even worse what if Jame's dad still introduced him to riding at age 4, but instead of buying a PW50 he had to opt up to the YZ125. That sounds safe huh!? See where I am going with this? Youth is what drives motorsports!

We ask everyone to please take a few seconds and lend your voice to help put a stop to this! An electronic form letter has been prepared by State Representative Tom Self of Missouri. Please go his website at www.tomself.com. Just fill in your name and address and hit "Submit" to register your support. Please submit this letter on behalf of every member of your family - regardless of age.

Thanks for reading and please help spread the word and support the cause!

The Don Wood Crew

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dynodave

Post by dynodave »

THE GLOVES ARE OFF!

To all of you NObama supporting dumb fucking morons:

It's goddamn irreverseable!

THANKS A LOT...you dumb motherfuckers!

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

If this really does go forward, that will be a major death blow to our sport. Thats just great.
dynodave

Post by dynodave »

JBaze wrote:If this really does go forward, that will be a major death blow to our sport. Thats just great.
It's this subject...and every damn other one to boot!

The morons who support NObama and everyone below him, ARE CHANGING EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR LIFE...WITHOUT YOUR CONCENT!

Just like the Soviet Union did to it's people.

They have elected Carl Marx out of ignorance.

And what he's doing is unforgiveable.

The gloves are off you dumb bastards.
Big Zero

Post by Big Zero »

I heard today that the ban has been given a stay for one year. i got this info from a friend who is a Yamaha dealer. Hopefully someone will come to their sences and realize how stupid this legislation is with regards to the power sports industry.

Who ever heard of kids chewing on their motorcycles?

Paul
It's always something!
jigggawatt

Post by jigggawatt »

Just talked to two local dealers . They haven't be in formed of a stay and still can't sell bikes or parts. One kid salesman said it's only 2% of the bikes anyway. I guess they don't get it!!
Dakota Boy

Post by Dakota Boy »

That kid salesman acting like it was no big deal is a damn fool. :cussing: For example, lets drop T-ball, little league, etc, and then see how many baseball fans there are in about 20 years.

Anyways....

Here's a section of H.R 4040; Title 1 "Children's Product Safety". I dont know why kids' mini-bikes etc. would NOT be allowed an exclusion from this new regulation: :screwy:

(b) EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN MATERIALS OR PRODUCTS AND
INACCESSIBLE COMPONENT PARTS.—
(1) CERTAIN PRODUCTS OR MATERIALS.—The Commission
may, by regulation, exclude a specific product or material from
the prohibition in subsection (a) if the Commission, after notice
and a hearing, determines on the basis of the best-available,
objective, peer-reviewed, scientific evidence that lead in such
product or material will neither—
(A) result in the absorption of any lead into the human
body, taking into account normal and reasonably foreseeable
use and abuse of such product by a child, including
swallowing, mouthing, breaking, or other children’s activities,
and the aging of the product; nor
(B) have any other adverse impact on public health
or safety.
(2) EXCEPTION FOR INACCESSIBLE COMPONENT PARTS.—
(A) IN GENERAL.—The limits established under subsection
(a) shall not apply to any component part of a
children’s product that is not accessible to a child throughnormal and reasonably foreseeable use and abuse of such
product, as determined by the Commission. A component
part is not accessible under this subparagraph if such
component part is not physically exposed by reason of
a sealed covering or casing and does not become physically
exposed through reasonably foreseeable use and abuse of
the product. Reasonably foreseeable use and abuse shall
include to, swallowing, mouthing, breaking, or other children’s
activities, and the aging of the product.
1984 CR500 owner
Racine, WI
Dakota Boy

Post by Dakota Boy »

this site has the best assortment of Emoticons I have ever seen.

Here's my favorite:

:homo:
1984 CR500 owner
Racine, WI
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Just saw it on the fukin news not 30 seconds ago. They banned the kids bikes here in Wa. They just interviewed a bike shop in Spokane and he had to pull all of his kids bikes! Unbefukinleavable! Welcome to AmeriKa!
jigggawatt

Post by jigggawatt »

Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

yesterday i'd heard from a dealer friend that he had a north dakota customer who couldnt buy a throttle tube for a xr or xl whatever 650 cuz of the ban, same # is shared with a jr bike!
mega491

Post by mega491 »

Get used to it people because this is the way they will back door us on firearms and ammo, health care, taxes, oil products and anything else they presume will be objected to if they use conventional channels.

We can only effect this by voting them out. Be sure to vote in the upcoming mid-term federal elections and get rid of the likes of Pilosi, Reed, Durbin, Murtha, Schumer, Rangle, FRANKEN (if elected) etc. We have to take the majorities (house) and super majorities (senate) away from the totalitarian marxists.
redrider

Post by redrider »

mega491 wrote:Get used to it people because this is the way they will back door us on firearms and ammo, health care, taxes, oil products and anything else they presume will be objected to if they use conventional channels.

We can only effect this by voting them out. Be sure to vote in the upcoming mid-term federal elections and get rid of the likes of Pilosi, Reed, Durbin, Murtha, Schumer, Rangle, FRANKEN (if elected) etc. We have to take the majorities (house) and super majorities (senate) away from the totalitarian marxists.
Good point. We really don't have anyone to blame but ourselves. If our fellow idiot sheeple obama zombies elect this shit, this is what we get. They are just doing what the people who elected them wanted. Thanks guys. Liberalism truly is a disease that we must cure from the bottom up. On a positive note, at least the government is keeping our own kids safe. (K.O.O.K.S.) I would have been so pissed at them if my kids got lead poisoning from riding their motorcycles. Im glad their there to keep an eye on us. :? I just don't think I could survive without all the 'help' they 'offer' us.
I'd rather be hauling ass
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

If our fellow idiot sheeple obama zombies elect this shit, this is what we get. Im glad their there to keep an eye on us. I just don't think I could survive without all the 'help' they 'offer' us.
But thats just it. We are out numbered by all the idiots out there. It is really unfortunate that Bush left such a bad taste in everyones mouth - which is the only reason a republican didnt win. that and the media is 99% demo-liberal and can sway it in their favor. I just hope we can get thru the next 1412 days with Obama in office. (http://obamaclock.org/) Hopefully he cannot change too much.
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...