Who's got the balls to do a 09 ?

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
hoofarted

Post by hoofarted »

Did they add linkage to the rear suspension yet? I have not ridden one yet but from what I hear, they're not well suited for moto-x because of physics. The lack of rear linkage would put you over the bars in the whoops...bs? I dunno - but there is a reason everyone else uses linkage. Recall the early Yamaha's with the near horizontal rear shock? They changed to vertical for just that reason. Other than that, KTM is a nice bike, less the high dollar cost!
The CR500 is an acquired taste. If you don't like it, acquire some taste...

teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

britincali wrote:
teemtrubble wrote:Let's just say find something wrong with the 08 KTM300!

Its orange......
That's my complaint too! :wink:
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
Exnav

Post by Exnav »

Orange is in season.

Money ain't got no owners, only spenders - Omar Little
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

teemtrubble wrote:Let's just say find something wrong with the 08 KTM300!
+
There under powered.
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

Who has some balls to be the first? Probably old armstump ?
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

Slow old Fart wrote:There under powered.
for a big guy like me i would have to say so...that's why i'm into 500's...
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

hoofarted wrote:Did they add linkage to the rear suspension yet? I have not ridden one yet but from what I hear, they're not well suited for moto-x because of physics. The lack of rear linkage would put you over the bars in the whoops...bs? I dunno - but there is a reason everyone else uses linkage. Recall the early Yamaha's with the near horizontal rear shock? They changed to vertical for just that reason. Other than that, KTM is a nice bike, less the high dollar cost!
This largely true...which is why KTM OWNS the offroad market, but not MX.

as for being underpowered.........fuggetaboutit! The 300 pulls like a mule....albeit not like a 500.
CR500AC widget maker
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

sorry guys, but you're a LONG fucking ways off of reality on this one, Those ktms will come out and spank the ass of any bike the same cc, likely any of these 500AF's, and that no-link suspension has always kicked ass!
I'll try to post a biography here later today, but heres the scene, 15yr old lil cuz has won the western canadian, the western garnier cup, should have one the eastern, but they cant give the same dude both! I could crash the server by posting the kids wins.

i actually only took these lastnignt, the fleet
this was only 1/2 the $ of bubba stewarts (according to Factory Connection)

He was just down east again for talks with ktm, and was checking out the new bikes, they want to give him a new 300 in spring for bush riding, to keep him on edge they say!
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Whoa! I don't think you can beat the KTM300 it's pretty bitchen and you gotta love that e start!
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

even though Ryan Millar is a crazy rider, and has one so many titles...i still want to build and ride 500's...haha...Adam you guys are crazy skilled!!

but...

500AF>>>>>>>>>>>>KTM300 :D
Roostius_Maximus
Site Admin

Post by Roostius_Maximus »

We're planning a little ride this weekend, he wants to ride my 500, an i'll take his 450, dont suppose that'll last long! that '88'll be like jumping a tractor compared to what he's used to!
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

yuuup...i could have jumped 3 tractors on my last ride... :(
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

i talk alot of shit about my 450, but honestly i've never seriously hurt myself on that bike, and it did everything i ever needed it to and more...but the 500 catwalks up hills that my 450 had trouble with...and flies to the moon when my 450 would just barely leave the ground...

500>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>450
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

I love the 300 but in the sand I am to big for one,I go faster on a 500.
juddy

Post by juddy »

As far as the KTM 300's being underpowered......My KTM 250 EXC 2 stroke (with an SX head and exhaust) is only minimally slower than a KTM 450 SXF,so I find that hard to believe.

Any fool can ride a big bike fast in a straight line,but if you look at what Shane Watts has done on small bore 2 strokes,(outright ISDE win on a 125,GNCC wins on a 125,etc) they can be as fast as anything in the right conditions.

So,horses for courses I say..... Its a neverending no win argument about which bike is best.[/quote]
ShanMan

Post by ShanMan »

So,horses for courses I say..... Its a neverending no win argument about which bike is best.
Spot on right. But, in the real world, where most guy's can afford to own only one bike, and do not have sponsorship, their bike needs to do everyting well enough to be fun, if not competitive.

The AF is the AC Cobra of the dirtbike world, in almost every respect. As such, if going fast with minimal drama is the order of the day, particularly for a larger/heavier rider, the AF is hard to beat....especially when you factor in the cost of ownership over the life of the bike. Certainly there is no four stroke it's equal in that regard.

For the average sized guy who still wants to go stupid-fast, but not get prematurely fatigued by throttle control, there are many choices...two stroke or four. But for my money, the KTM 300 XC-W with the button and all that buttery smooth torque is the ONLY choice. It does everything so well (save for Supercross style jumps) and is so reliable, I am left with almost no other choice.
CR500AC widget maker
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

My 500 scared the shit out of EVERYone i ride with but me, i'm also at least 30-40 lbs on all of them, but when i was riding in the dunes on that 500 before my broken foot all my buddies were watching me fly over their heads over jumps their 250's can't make it up, and literally surf the sand at whatever speed i wanted. My bro, and cousin came back shaking after riding it, scared for their life. That's why even though my 500 fucked me up BAD, i'm still building another one and can't wait to get back on it! :twisted:
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

oh and ya i guess the KTM 300 deserves some props...i'm ignorant as F on the 300 subject though anyways...
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

Id love to have a 300 :cool:
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
juddy

Post by juddy »

For the average sized guy who still wants to go stupid-fast, but not get prematurely fatigued by throttle control, there are many choices...two stroke or four. But for my money, the KTM 300 XC-W with the button and all that buttery smooth torque is the ONLY choice. It does everything so well (save for Supercross style jumps) and is so reliable, I am left with almost no other choice.[/quote]

Totally agree with you Shanman.I am thinking about racing some enduro rounds next year.No way would I attempt it on my 500,to much to navigate through 2-3 gear special tests.I am thinking the KTM 300 EXC,or a KTM 250 EXC-F with the 280 kit and akropovic exhaust would be among the most versatile bikes out there.Although the 280 would probably give me the shits in the dunes but will have the 500 for that,and also can use it for supernoto if I give that a shot.My friend is doing a desert race in 2 weeks time and has got his 300 really smoking (although still not the best bike for it) with working on the powervalve/jetting.Says its now hitting like a 2 stroke instead of the electric feel the 300's are known for.And as you mentioned,the cost of the 4 stroke rebuilds is definately a factor.So yeah,it is definately difficult to find a bike that will be competitive in every discipline and be affordable to mantain but the 300 has gotta be close.
exackery

And you call yourselves 500 riders?

Post by exackery »

I'm painfully average in riding skill -- short 5'6" 175 pounds and very few people can get near me in the woods on a good day --> that includes my buddy on a 300 KTM. My secret --> its the bike. The trick to going fast in the woods is to ride a gear high. That way you smooth out the extra power (less wheel spin) and it changes direction better (less gyro effect) etc... haven't you learned that yet? The best part is when you get to a straight section you can honk on it and gain 2 bikes lengths in a heartbeat. Rev that 500 hunny and you will have fun shooting roost everywhere but the faster riders will leave you behind.

I can't imagine why people are riding anything else!
juddy

Post by juddy »

Nah,I dont agree that the 500 is the best bike for everything.As I mentioned,Shane Watts smoked the world on a small bore,Juha Salminen is often on a small bore and smokes everyone.Ryan Villipoto is on a 250F and gets faster lap times than Carmicheal in the MX of Nations and James Stewart recently,Knight does mostly ride a 4 fiddy for GNCC but 2 smoker for extreme events,CRF 450's have been winning the Aust Finke desert race outright for years now,the 500 is a thing of the past.Just stating the facts,the 500 was and is a great bike,but its not always the best for every rider and condition.So these people that think the 500 is the best bike ever,keep living the dream brothers :D
AJ

Post by AJ »

There are a LOT of great bikes.

i know the *best bike* is an endless debate..

but for all around use , in a lot of variuos situations ,
and altuitudes ,, ad in things like reliabilty,, ease of maointence, cost of ownership

The A- list gets much shorter

if you dont think a 500AF fits on that short list,
you havent ridden
and wrenched or lived long term with many bikes( in a truly varied situations)

a great MX track bike that with equally skilled riders
is easily competitive with current 4 strokes,,
(and way less headache and better value)

a great off road bike in any altiutude /mountinous or desert terrian.
regarless how wide open or tight single track areas you ride,
its an exceelent choice.
(maybe not stand alone the very best,,but right in there and again very competoitive)

a very good woods bike,
if you dont think so ask any number of guys that routinely win thier harescrambles or enduro series thier east coast or midwest ama disytricts series.
(again maybe not specifically the best in that satergory,,bu ta solid performer that is more tha competitive)

there might be other bikes that are as versitile,,
but i think its a dang short list..
and does not include any of the current crop of 4 strokes..

sorry this reads like an ad,
(obviously i believe in the bikes)
but my thoughts are meant to cover any decent conversion 500

in my opinion very very few bikes out there
are that level of competitive in so many situations..
much less combine that with reliabilty abd ease o fmanitenence.

i dont dounbt there are a few others ,
but like i said ,, i think its a very short list.
Last edited by AJ on October 23rd, 2008, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
britincali

Post by britincali »

^^^^ Agreed 100%
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
juddy

Post by juddy »

Yep your right AJ.They are all of the above.A great all rounder bike performance and maintenance-wise,but not the ultimate race bike for everyone or every situation as some people seem to portray.