89 front forks

All Boinger, Sub-Tank, Steering Stabilizer Stuff Here.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I would suggest checking out the head bearings. Mine are smooth as silk when you turn the bars. One of my old bikes was like that and when I took it apart the race was rusty and the bearings were shot. Might as well tear it down and look as you already have the forks off.
dannygraves

Post by dannygraves »

x2... DO IT!
:wink:
'09 kx450f 4-Poke
Gen-4 trail bike --SOLD--
Gen-3 badass trail/mx bike --SOLD--
Gen-1 built dunes bike --SOLD--
'05 klx110 --SOLD--
'95 pw80
Travis

Post by Travis »

dannygraves wrote:you probably busted a rod in there or something.
I've had a few bad stem bearings, they get notchy from little grooved forming in the bearing race.
Busted a rod?? I will have to take both apart to see what it should look like.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
Travis

Post by Travis »

JBaze wrote:I would suggest checking out the head bearings. Mine are smooth as silk when you turn the bars. One of my old bikes was like that and when I took it apart the race was rusty and the bearings were shot. Might as well tear it down and look as you already have the forks off.
Correction: Had the forks off.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

I would take them back off and check. I can speak from experience from my early days before I took maintaining my bike seriously and it's a pretty un-nerving feeling when your blasting along and getting ready for a sharp turn and the handle bars decide that they don't want to move.
Travis

Post by Travis »

I am a little more worried about turning then them not straighten back up. How often do these wear out?
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Also up here, a few of my friends put grease zerks on the steering nuckle so they could grease the bearings without complete disassembly. They also used to sell swingarm bolts with the zerks in them. Good idea, especially if you pressure wash your bike or ride where it is wet alot.
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

If you maintain em, and grease them up every so often they'll last forever. It is usually just a point that gets over looked alot. I only grease mine twice a year or so.
Travis

Post by Travis »

I am willing to bet the triple clamp hasn't ever been off my bike. I may take a look at it.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

Good idea man.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Got her started today and gave her a quick 15 minute spin around the house. Started on the 3rd kick today after I gave myself out on Monday trying to start it. The forks feel 100% better than the old ones. It doesn't nose dive like it did. Jumps a little different now though. Off the takeoff I nearly got myself into trouble. Came off the pegs in the air but landed back on them. Could have been dangerous. Going to take some getting used to. I am pleased to have no more than 45 minutes labor in the fix though. Need to redo though and check the stem bearings. I can do that later though.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
90cr500guy

Post by 90cr500guy »

Travis, I am a little confused. Did you go with the '92 forks?

Just some info for you guys
92-94 cr500 forks are 43mm USD Showas
They will not fit the 89-91 triple
There is 2 mm difference on the top clamp with the older forks being bigger
Also the top stem bearing on '89 is a different size than '90-'01
Last edited by 90cr500guy on December 23rd, 2008, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brit's queer
Travis

Post by Travis »

No I used a set off my 91 125. They are the same size but the spring rate is a touch different. Even though they were an overall improvement over what was on it. I also had to change the axle because the 91 was setup a little different.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee