I went riding yesterday...

WTF Happened!!!!
Travis

I went riding yesterday...

Post by Travis »

Me and 2 buddies went riding at a place here locally where I had never been. I had a blast. It was mostly single track type stuff through tight trails. There were bigger stuff once we came into where there had been logging done. Some pretty good hills to climb back in there too. Everyone crashed at least once but noone was hurt luckily. However, I made a horrible mistake. We rode back to the truck to fuel my buddies bike up and of course we took a break. After getting something to drink my buddy started in on how his bike had as much power as mine. He rides an 03 cr250. Of course he has ridden my bike before but I had never ridden his because he lives in town and there is nowhere to ride there. I finally had the chance to see for myself so I rode it. No where near the power of my bike but it handles 1000% better. OMG!! Did everyone else know how much better these things ride?? I had heard a little but now my bike feels like a sled in comparison. Now I have to have an AF for my bike. Is the difference between the 98 and 03 huge?? If not I may try to do this. Now I have to start saving my monies. Dammit I was all happy until I rode his.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

hahahaha a comparison between a 98 and 03? hahahahaha The GEN3's don't compare at all to a 98 ever....
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
If I wanted a Yamaha I would have bought a piano!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

The TTM line is forming to the right....

teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

Usually Travis is all happy and has jokes... I just thought it was funny because I know he wasn't laughing when he posted that! hahaha
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
Travis

Post by Travis »

No joke. After riding his bike I am sick of mine. The rest of the day I was aggrevated. My bike feels like a bulldozer in comparison. The reason I asked about the 98 because it would be the simplest swap from what I hear. Probably the most affordable too. I had a few odds and ends that needed fixing on my bike but I don't even want to do that now. I didn't even spray it off after I got back. I don't wanna look at it anymore. He was dodging logs and stuff that I would just have to cross. I was mad at my bike the rest of the day. :x
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

:lmao: I kept my steelie because I thought I can't sell that I love that thing and have a zero hour motor I was going to put back in it. Luckily I rode my conversion before I put the motor in and the motor is sitting in a cart waiting for one of my next personal conversions instead. I feel ya brother and I see it every time some one test rides my bikes... I'm sure it will be one of my kids that sells my rollers someday.
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
Travis

Post by Travis »

I loved my bike until I rode that 250. Still love the power. I had to hold the 250 WFO to get up stuff that my bike lugged up. Still I am ready for the swap. I didn't beleive the hype until I rode one. How much money will this take?? And how much can I get back out of the roller and other misc. unneededs??
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
teemtrubble

Post by teemtrubble »

You can call me if you want 805 306-9840 and I'll help you if I can...
Mike

teem trubble works CR500
(Gen 3 125+CR500 motor)
Travis

Post by Travis »

Currently there is no way I can buy something like that. I need to start keeping my change in a jar or something. It will be a while, unless I win the lotto or something like that but I doubt I will since I don't buy tickets. What is the best frame to start with?? Considering ride qaulity once finished and ease of build. This way I can keep my eyes open for a roller.
Travis

89 CR500
01 Banshee
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Gen 4

CRF250X's are popping up for pretty cheap.
Ported&Polished

Post by Ported&Polished »

An 02 cr250r is your best bet for a gen 3 for cheap. It's an easier conversion than a crf250 too.
Don't Clyde it, ride it!
JBaze

Post by JBaze »

teemtrubble wrote::lmao: I kept my steelie because I thought I can't sell that I love that thing and have a zero hour motor I was going to put back in it. Luckily I rode my conversion before I put the motor in and the motor is sitting in a cart waiting for one of my next personal conversions instead. I feel ya brother and I see it every time some one test rides my bikes... I'm sure it will be one of my kids that sells my rollers someday.
Couldn't have said it better. I thought I would keep my roller just in case, in case of what I don't know, but after 10 minutes on my Gen 2, I parked it went inside and put my roller on craigs list. I would be pretty hard pressed to go back to a steelie. IMO Gen 1, 2, 3, 4, whatever is far superior to a steelie. Uncomparable! Don't wait, just go for it. I sold my 96 roller for $600 without radiators, and sold the 250 engine and related parts I didn't use for $750. And it cost me about $200 to do my whole conversion. 97's, 98's and 99's are a dime a dozen anymore and it seems to me that those engines are more sought after than the newer 250's. Just my thoughts.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Ported&Polished wrote:It's an easier conversion than a crf250 too.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no.

How many of these have you done Terence?
pstoffers

Post by pstoffers »

AlisoBob wrote:
Ported&Polished wrote:It's an easier conversion than a crf250 too.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no.

How many of these have you done Terence?
Ahhhhh #3

I'm with P&P on this :roll:
NAHA PRO HILLCLIMBER #216
LIVIN THE DREAM!!!

NOTHING BUT GREEN LABEL BLENDZALL!!!

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/P ... /Home.aspx
http://www.pro-hillclimbers.org/
MICK

Post by MICK »

Can't you borrow some money? Get a small loan or something from the bank. On the other board Algava posted a good conclusion to his build. An '02 CR250 conversion that cost him $4,000...save for the extra goodies he bought. This was his breakdown of costs (just the necessities):

"2002 Cr250 bike $ 2000
1992 CR500 bike $ 1000
Sold cr250 engine -$1000
Welding frame and rads $ 250
Pipe+silencer $ 280"

How he got a '02 CR250 for 2K I don't know? But you've already got the 500 so you're already a step ahead. By parting out your steely and selling the 250 motor I think you can build a bike for damn little coin.
'03 CR500 powered by...umm...a new motor?
BIGWORM500

Post by BIGWORM500 »

Ahhhhh #3
Do it Do it!! SAVE YOUR CHANGE IT'S WORTH IT !!! :D :cool: :twisted: :idea: :D
2003 AF 500
2004 CRF 50
1979 XR 500 road and trail
500hp 68 Camaro