Explain to me how the Germans lost the war?

Is your kid Student Of The Month? Beat up Student Of The Month? Lets hear all about it!
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

With gas prices going through the roof and regulators requiring cars to be ever more miserly, Volkswagen is bringing new meaning to the term "fuel efficiency" with a bullet-shaped microcar that gets a stunning 282 235 mpg.

Volkswagen's had its super-thrifty One-Liter Car concept vehicle -- so named because that's how much fuel it needs to go 100 kilometers -- stashed away for six years. The body's made of carbon fiber to minimize weight (the entire car weighs just 660 pounds) and company execs didn't expect the material to become cheap enough to produce the car until 2012.

But VW's decided to build the car two years ahead of schedule.

According to Britain's Car magazine, VW has approved a plan to build a limited number of One-Liters in 2010. They'll probably be built in the company's prototype shop, which has the capacity to build as many as 1,000 per year. That's not a lot, but it's enough to help VW get a lot of attention while showing how much light weight and an efficient engine can achieve.

VW unveiled the slick two-seater concept six years ago at a stockholder's meeting in Hamburg.

To prove it was a real car, Chairman Ferdinand Piech personally drove it from Wolfsburg to Hamburg. At the time, he said the car could see production when the cost of its carbon monocoque dropped from 35,000 Euros (about $55,000) to 5,000 Euros (about $8,000) -- something he figured would happen in 2012. With carbon fiber being used in everything from airliners to laptops these days, VW's apparently decided the cost is competitive enough to build at least a few hundred One-Liters.

VW's engineers -- who spent three years developing the car -- made extensive use of magnesium, titanium and aluminum to bring it in at less than one-third the weight of a Toyota Echo. According to Canadian Driver, the front suspension assembly weighs just 18 pounds. The six-speed transmission features a magnesium case, titanium bolts and hollow gears; it weighs a tad more than 50 pounds. The 16-inch wheels are carbon fiber. The magnesium steering wheel weighs a little more than a pound. How much of the concept car's exotic hardware makes it to the production model remains to be seen.

Low weight only gets you so far in the quest for ultimate fuel economy; aerodynamics plays a big role. The One-Liter is long and low, coming in at 11.4 feet long, 4.1 feet wide and 3.3 feet tall. It features an aircraft-like canopy, flat wheel covers and a belly pan to smooth the airflow under the car. The engine cooling vents open only when needed, and video cameras take the place of mirrors. The passenger sits behind the driver to keep the car narrow. The car has a coefficient of drag of 0.16; the average car comes in around 0.30 and the Honda Insight had a Cd of 0.25.

As for the engine, the concept had a one-cylinder diesel engine producing 8.5 horsepower and 13.5 foot-pounds of torque. Car says the production model will use a two-cylinder turbodiesel for a little more oomph. Doubling the number of cylinders is sure to cut fuel economy, so VW may install a diesel-hybrid drivetrain. The engine turns off at stop lights to save fuel, then automatically restarts when the driver depresses the accelerator pedal.

(Update: The car reportedly has anti-lock brakes, stability control and airbags. According to Canadian Driver, "Volkswagen says the One-Liter Car is as safe as a GT sports car registered for racing. With the aid of computer crash simulations, the car was designed with built-in crash tubes, pressure sensors for airbag control and front crumple zones.")

What's it gonna cost? Car quotes "one well-placed insider" who says the One-Liter could have a sticker price of anywhere from 20,000 to 30,000 Euros (about $31,750 to $47,622). That's a lot of money. But then, the One-Liter, despite its diminutive size, is a lot of car.
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I'm afraid to say - I love it.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Its awesome..... If I had "FU" money... I'd have this car .....

and...

and....

and....

and....

and finally ...... this....

Rich people dont have a clue what to do with their money.....

:roll:
nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Another German car along the same lines:
http://evolution.loremo.com/index.php?lang=en

britincali

Post by britincali »

This is fukin awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: [/img]
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

this...
or maybe this...
and this...
or maybe this...

...and I know a guy who was hired to drive the Wiener Mobile!
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

britincali wrote:This is fukin awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Big Boys were built in Schenectady, New York by the American Locomotive Company (ALCO) to the Union Pacific's design. ALCO delivered the first batch of 20 - including #4012 in the Steamtown NHS collection - in 1941 and the remaining 5 in 1944.

Big Boys had over one mile of tubes and flues inside the boiler. Their firebox grate measured 150 square feet. The Big Boys had sixteen drive wheels, each measuring 68 inches. From coupler to coupler they measured 132 feet 9 inches. The tender held 24,000 gallons of water and 28 tons of coal and the engine and tender weighed 1,189,500 pounds in working order. The engines well deserved the name 'Big Boy' which was written on one of the drive rods by an unknown worker at ALCO.
100hp honda

Post by 100hp honda »

i seen that hotdog car few months ago. not sure why the hell it was on I80 in the middle of wyoming but it was :shock:
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

britincali wrote:This is fukin awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

X2

Bought one of those a couple of months ago. :shock: But in HO scale. :lol:
britincali

Post by britincali »

Did the boiler swivel? How the hell did it take corners?
Coolness list by 90cr500guy

Bob's = 50/50
Cepek = cool
Solidbro = cool
Brit = loser
Stoffer = 1 up from Brit
MFDB = cool
Danny = ok
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I would imagine the boiler doesn't but the bogies (?) do. Would be quite a bit of overhang if the corner was tight enough. Not a train buff but that is pretty awe-inspiring!
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

redrocket190 wrote:I would imagine the boiler doesn't but the bogies (?) do.
:applaud:
CRMOE500

Post by CRMOE500 »

I remember hearing that when going uphill the tracks can only rise one foot for every two hundred and fifty feet, or something close too that. Give those Men credit for running a line through the mountains. :notworthy:
Fins Rule!
Liquids drool.
"If the rule you followed led you to this of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh
ugly1171

Post by ugly1171 »

I think they (the Germans) think that every summer holiday when they see the brits on holiday in europe! LOL

Ugly
99 gen 1 supermoto
97 cr250
Mercedes Vito CDi110 van
Two Boys
Wife that spends more than i earn.
lewisclan
PVT. 1st Class

Post by lewisclan »

iggys-amsoil wrote:
britincali wrote:This is fukin awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

X2

Bought one of those a couple of months ago. :shock: But in HO scale. :lol:
awesome
Image"the game of life of is not so much in holding a good hand as playing a poor hand well"
iggys-amsoil

Post by iggys-amsoil »

britincali wrote:Did the boiler swivel? How the hell did it take corners?
The UP Big Boys were an expansion of the 4-6-6-4 "Challenger" type articulated locomotive. (In other words the front drivers turned separate from the rears which are detached from the boiler) Large diameter driving wheels were fitted to allow higher speed freight runs in terrain with grades. Adding two more sets of driving wheels increased the pulling power of the locomotive and lessened the need for helper locomotives over steep grades for a given tonnage train.

Later on a new design came into being called "Cab Forward" these were made for the Donner Pass runs because of all the tunnels through Donner Summit.

I E-bayed one of these to and it has the same Road # as the one pictured 4274. :lol:

Oh and to answer the original Q. :lol: The Rockefellers stopped financing the Germans.