Leatt Neck Support

Helmets, Safety Gear, Seats, Pegs, Bars and all the Other Stuff.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Leatt Neck Support

Post by AlisoBob »

http://www.leatt-brace.com/

Ellett has one of these for his boy......

Hey John, post up a review on that sucka'......

:headbang:

Q& A;

Does the Leatt-Brace™ restrict driver/rider mobility in any way?

In order to prevent injury, the Leatt-Brace™ restricts extreme ranges of movement that cause injury, but allows the driver or rider enough movement to get on with driving or riding. Users often report a feeling of being naked and vulnerable after taking the brace off. One Lap or five minutes is usually all it takes to get used to the brace.

Does the Leatt-Brace™ work with all safety belts and seating configurations?

Yes.

Can my safety harness straps slip off the brace?

No, in fact, the Leatt-Brace™ is designed to keep your safety harness away from your soft tissue neck structures but remain stable under the safety harness during an impact or even a car roll.

Do I have to modify my equipment/vehicle to use the Leatt-Brace™?

MOTO GPX: generally speaking, no equipment modification is required, however some modification to shirts, jackets, chest protectors and body armor may be required, depending on the design. Riders using a racing leather suit with aerodynamic hump need to unstitch a small portion of the hump to allow the thoracic member of the brace to slide into place.
MOTO R: No modification to your seat, safety harness or helmet is required. A strap SSS (Smart Strap System) is required to be fitted to your helmet’s chin strap. The SSS requires no drilling or special helmet mounting point and is compatible with all commercially available helmets. The SSS then locks into place on the rear top member of the brace.

Does the Leatt-Brace™ comply with safety standards?

The Leatt-Brace™ MOTO R is SFI 38.1 certified. There are no other test standards pertaining to the braces. We are awaiting a test standard for the MOTO GPX brace.

Why is the Leatt-Brace™ better than other head and neck restraints available?

Simply put, we believe we have the best solution to the problem. Can any other neck protection system offer you protection against the following injury types?

* Hyperflexion – head moving forwards
* Hyperextension – head moving backwards
* Posterior Hypertranslation – head moving backwards on the neck
* Lateral Hyperflexion – head moving sideways (side impact)
* Axial Loading – compressive force acting on the spine
* Control head deceleration to prevent traumatic brain injury
* Protect the soft tissue neck structures from your safety harness and chest protector.
* Control in-car head movements after more than one impact e.g. car roll-over
* Protection if ejected from the vehicle
* Protection from all the common injury types for cars, karts, motorcycles, quads, etc.

Please visit our MOTO R and MOTO GPX test pages to get all out test results.

What is the Leatt-Brace™ constructed from?

Injected Glass-Reinforced-Nylon and/or Carbon Fiber & Kevlar with an inner padding layer.

Are junior sizes available?

Yes.

Can I wash my Leatt-Brace™?

Yes, with soap and water, the padding is removable too.

Can the Leatt-Brace™ be used with water sports?

Yes.

What is the expected lifespan of my Leatt-Brace™?

We recommend three years, and replacement of any damaged part if you are involved in a high impact collision.

What impact does the Leatt-Brace™ have on my brain?

The Leatt-Brace™ is designed to decelerate the head in a controlled way so as to limit a sudden deceleration force on your brain. During an accident, the head of a driver moves surprisingly far and can strike in-car structures so your Leatt-Brace™ is designed to reduce head injuries too. Head deceleration is reduced when compared to a no device impact. Please see our MOTO R test page for details.

What if my Leatt-Brace™ breaks in an accident?

You will need to replace the damaged component. If a part of the brace breaks, as it is intended to do, then the force required to cause the break has been directed away from your head and neck. Individual components can be replaced by your Leatt-Brace™ distributor.

Can I use my Leatt-Brace™ in conjunction with a back protector and chest protector on a motorcycle?

Yes.

Where can I view the Leatt-Brace™ technical information and test results?

Please visit the MOTO R and MOTO GPX testing pages.

Can I invest in the Leatt-Brace™ company?

Yes, please visit our 'Investor Relations' page or click on the 'Stock Quote' icon for more information.

How much does a Leatt-Brace™ cost?

The suggested retail prices are US$395 (Club Version), US$595 (Sports Version) and US$995 (Professional Version) and excludes import duties, shipping and taxes depending on the version you choose. They all offer the same protection and vary only in weight and finish.

Where can I buy a Leatt-Brace™?

You can purchase a brace online, please visit the MOTO R or MOTO GPX order pages or from our distributor/retailer in your area.

Can I use a Leatt-Brace™ with cars, quads, motorcycles, downhill bikes, jet skis, rubber ducks, off shore powerboats?

Yes, we have two brace versions, namely; the MOTO R (Restrained Drivers) and MOTO GPX (Unrestrained Drivers/Riders) that cater for all vehicle and user classes. Please view our MOTO R and MOTO GPX products pages.

What does the thoracic member do and is it safe?

The thoracic member allows for brace fitment, prevents rotation of the brace, and allows for the transmission of hyperextension and hypertranslation forces from one spinal segment to approximately eleven. It is completely safe; you can fall directly onto your back wearing a brace without injury. The energy is applied to the muscles that run on either side of your spine, is enclosed in padding and has been used in testing with numerous riders, many of whom have had big falls and crashes!
ellett

Post by ellett »

I bought Kolby the Club version in the small size. It came with three different sized clamp/pivot thingies and after installing the largest of the three, it fit him perfectly. Kolby is about 5'4" and 110#, so in about six months he'll probably need the medium sized brace.

He's used it twice, so far, and he loves it. He wears it in conjunction with his chest protector and while he knows it is there, it doesn't get in the way at all.

Even if it provides only a fraction of the protection the Leatt folks claim, I think it is $400 well spent.
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

Can you post some photos of him wearing it, and show things like range of motion?
ellett

Post by ellett »

Will do.
ellett

Post by ellett »

I bought Kolby the Club version in the small size. It came with three different sized clamp/pivot thingies and after installing the largest of the three, it fit him perfectly. Kolby is about 5'4" and 110#, so in about six months he'll probably need the medium sized brace.

He's used it twice, so far, and he loves it. He wears it in conjunction with his chest protector and while he knows it is there, it doesn't get in the way at all.

Even if it provides only a fraction of the protection the Leatt folks claim, I think it is $400 well spent.
ellett

Post by ellett »

Here are a couple shots of Kolby showing the range of motion in his Leatt brace:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Cool thing about the Leatt brace is this little notch/slot area:

There is just enough room to stuff the chest protector shoulder pads in there and this kind of helps keep the Leatt brace in place:

AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

ellett wrote:
Cool thing about the Leatt brace is this little notch/slot area:

There is just enough room to stuff the chest protector shoulder pads in there and this kind of helps keep the Leatt brace in place:
Almost like it was designed for that.... Fart Smuckers....

Thanks for the report John....
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

Tried one for the first time last Friday. Was very easy to set up and absolutely un-noticeable once you are riding. Even fit with a HRP Flak Jacket without mods. Solid recommendation for anyone.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
rabbit

Post by rabbit »

x2, got one for the boy this last weekend, along woth a Fox air cell chest protector. Money well spent IMO
Slomo

Post by Slomo »

Who did you guys get them through?
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I got mine from Langston Racing in Lake Elsinore, but I think they have hit the on-line stores too....
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

The front and rear pieces need to be perfectly slotted together for the latch to close easily. If it jams or feels tight, stop and do over. The lever is plastic and not very strong as I found out. Still works but I need to close one side before I put it on. I'll check out whether Leatt sends out spare parts.
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

I bought the Flak Jack / Leatt combo and everything fits really good together. I haven't been able to ride with it yet. Once thing is if you have no neck or a short neck it is going to be uncomfortable to wear as you won't have as much head movement.
redrocket190

Post by redrocket190 »

I would agree that your head movement is limited, but you really don't notice on the move...
Michael Stiles
2007 Honda CR500R-AF
Hellbear

Post by Hellbear »

Yeah I got to wear it while riding the other weekend and you hardly notice it's there. The only time I new it was there was when I wanted to look down at the bike or look behind me to see if my buddy was still there. Other then that nada. I won't ride without it now.
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

Rode with it for the second time.
There is some interference side to side and front to back.
My TLD helmet has a long chin bar and hits the brace when lookng down. No big deal, keep looking ahead.
Arai addresses the smaller chin bar in their new helmet. They claim there is less to snag on a fall. Something to think about.

The other issue when decsending steeper hills while standing, the helmet hits the back of the protector and with a longer visor, limits the forward vision.
I have raised my bars and it has helped.

It's hard to turn your head around to see behind you.

These things are probably all by design and is where the protection is.

95% of the time you don't even know it's there.

Overall I like it and will continue to wear it.
The advantages far out weigh the little nuisances and I will work these out.
'We are motorcycle people; we walk tall and we laugh at whatever’s funny. We shit on the chests of the Weird….' HST