Whether to build a CR500AF or persue alternative...Poll!

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!

Which way should I go???

Honda
73%
KaTooM
27%

Total votes: 11

DOHCFOX

Whether to build a CR500AF or persue alternative...Poll!

Post by DOHCFOX »

Hello all,

I haven't been around in a while. Life has interrupted me from from doing what I love most, riding and bullshitting about my CR500, but anyways...I am currently faced with a decision on which route to take in order to street license my CR here in Washington State. My budget is currently $1,200, according to my wife. Here is what I am looking at:

I've been in contact with a guy selling a 2003 CR250 roller (comes with the motor) in Arizona. After shipping, this bike would cost me about $1,200. In doing this, I'd be getting a bike that should be plated fairly easily here and that also has all of the benefits of a Gen 3 frame and suspension. The drawback is that I would have to save up some more cash to get the motor work done that I need, which would include some sort of lighting coil and compression release.

My other option is to utilize a 2007 KTM 560SMR frame that I purchased while drunk on Ebay some time ago, and swap all of the CR500 components on to it. This frame has an MSO that would allow me to get a plate with zero drama. Interestingly, the KTM frame is very similar to the CR500 frame and will accept my 1990 CR's suspension components with minimal machining/welding, certainly less work than that of an AF build. I could upgrade to KTM suspension later. I'd also have enough money to get the above mentioned motor work done right away.

Here is link to some pics of both the CR250 and the KTM frame with the suspension and motor mocked up: http://picasaweb.google.com/dohcfox/CR500AFKTM500

What do you all think? Opinions are much appreciated! Take care all!

JT
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

OR

The KTM would be different.... I like different!
DOHCFOX

Post by DOHCFOX »

One of the other advantages with the KTM frame is the availability of desert tanks.

And I agree, being different is always cool!
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

If you are going to do a KTM maybe you should hunt down a KTM 550 motor. I like KTM chassis because you can get a title easy other than that the CR chasses is totally superior.
DOHCFOX

Post by DOHCFOX »

While I think a KTM 550 motor would be really cool, I've already got my CR500 (almost) ready to rock.
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

DOHCFOX wrote:While I think a KTM 550 motor would be really cool, I've already got my CR500 (almost) ready to rock.
I see crf 450 that have titles all the time and I have one , I can tell you for road riding a gen3 CRf 450 chasses is real roomy and comfy. Much more so than the Cr 250 or gen 4 CRF.

I do not know how comfy a KTM is but the seats are boards stock and unless you are short a CR 250 for road going is cramped.
Balaclava

Post by Balaclava »

^^^ i agree the gen 3 crf frame is the shit for road riding...i wanted to make my build into a street legal bike, but i'm skeptical about the frame being stolen...and eventually came to my senses that a road legal cr 500 is a retarded idea...but i checked with my public insurance and they said they've never had any reports about the serial number...either way that is what i wanted to do...but it looks like my 500 is going to be purely dirt bike...
Slow old Fart

Post by Slow old Fart »

Balaclava wrote:^^^ i agree the gen 3 crf frame is the shit for road riding...i wanted to make my build into a street legal bike, but i'm skeptical about the frame being stolen...and eventually came to my senses that a road legal cr 500 is a retarded idea...but i checked with my public insurance and they said they've never had any reports about the serial number...either way that is what i wanted to do...but it looks like my 500 is going to be purely dirt bike...
You know 812 say's the aluminum bikes will drop out from under you on the street because the frame does not flex near as much. he was claiming guy's have to run spoke wheels and on the steelie you can run mags he says. And that steel work better for supermoto according to 812, my experience with the 87 n 88 tells me it would have the best all around performance for road style racing.

The bikes have a way of being able to be flatracked and not unhook and dump you.
DOHCFOX

Post by DOHCFOX »

Well, it's decided. While I highly respect the opinions of my CR500 riding brethren at this site, I've decided to go the KTM route. The reasons are the following:
  • 1) I've got an MSO right here in front of me that says NOTHING about off road only on it. Washington state laws suck if your MSO or title say otherwise.
  • 2) I can get a much larger desert tank for the non-perimeter style KTM frame.
  • 3) Getting the CR500 motor into the KTM frame will entail less work, not that I'm not up to the challenge.
Once I have the project under way I promise to take lots of photos and post them on Banned! This bike is going to rock.

An AF plated 500 would have certainly rocked too. It's just that here in WA state, I would have been taking a huge risk...