LIVENDIESMOKINS' 4TH GEN CRF250R 500/AF BUILD

Building Tips, Suspension Set Ups, Conversion Parts .... Build to your Heart's Content!
LIVENDIESMOKIN

Post by LIVENDIESMOKIN »

Basically, I just heated the bottom of the tank with a heat gun. My son and I used wooden hammer handles to push it in once heated and cooled it with a blow gun. I'll take a pic of it next time I have it off. For now, you can save some of the earlier photos I posted of the clearance, and blow them up. The Acerbis tank went from 2.9 to 2.7 gallons.

I'm not known to waste time, so the build lasted 27 days. I fabricated everything except the airbox and silencer before the frame was welded. After welding, I installed stainless thread inserts in all the new brackets. The silencer was done like Bob's.

The airbox is the stock one for the bike. I installed a 2000 cr250r air boot, which has the same mounting pattern as a cr500, but has a step in it for the spring. Honda part # 17253-KZ3-J20. I used a piece of .050 in aluminum to install the boot onto the front of the box with plenty of RTV sealant. The rest of the parts came from a cr500 airbox.

I haven't had her in the woods yet, but she felt good in the yard. I hope to ride it this weekend.
eyesky2002

Post by eyesky2002 »

Great job! Going try the 02 CR250 boot idea on mine!
"When your riding your living... Everything else is just waiting!"

MXMotoworx.com
2003 Honda CR500AF
LIVENDIESMOKIN

Post by LIVENDIESMOKIN »

Put 50 miles of frozen/thawed eastern singletrack on her today. This thing ROCKS!!!!!!!! She handles way better than the old steelie. I experienced no problems what so ever. After washing, I inspected the welds and found no problems.... . I'm ready to build another one!!!!! Now to gold valve the suspension (the crf250r suspension is kinda harsh in the rocks) and lace up the new 18 inch Excel rim, because she needs bigger meat on the rear. Thanks, BOB, for everything.....
AlisoBob
"Hoon-father"

Post by AlisoBob »

LIVENDIESMOKIN wrote:Thanks, BOB, for everything.....
I'm only the middle man.... and standing on the shoulders of many who built A/F's before me...

Glad to hear your so happy with it, and that your first outing was trouble free...

...Great Job!!
LIVENDIESMOKIN

Post by LIVENDIESMOKIN »

As promised, I am posting the tank pic. The bottom was heated with a heat gun and pushed in. The Acerbis tank began at 2.9 gal and ended at approx 2.6 gal.

Since the initial build post, I have valved the suspension, painted the engine, and installed a new top end that I ported. The bike has been totally awesome since day one.

nmdesertrider

Post by nmdesertrider »

Does the 00 250 boot trick work with gen 3 and gen 4 450s?